Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:43 AM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times

Advertisements

I have T-mobile (switched from Verizon last spring). I had T-mobile before I had Verizon as well...anyway. I have noticed a marked improvement in my neighborhood in Apex (close to 540) since about November of 2014. I get 4G coverage pretty much everywhere in my neighborhood and surrounding area now. They must have added a new antenna somewhere close. The thing I like about T-mobile is I don't have a restricted contract and can quit at any time with no penalty and I get to use wi-fi networks to make calls, if coverage is limited in the area I'm in.

Overall, I'm satisfied with T-mobile, although I do think Verizon's network is probably the best. I think customer service is going to be bad no matter which carrier you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 07:59 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,982 times
Default T-MO before-and-after

Here's a map from the tmonews.com site from fall 2014, showing existing and forthcoming T-Mobile sites in NC/SC. Based on my driving trip to Charlotte last week (described upthread, on which I was using my 200 MB/month free TMO service on an iPad), they seem to be making great progress activating nodes:

Old 01-29-2015, 10:35 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,563 times
T-Mobile will loan you an iPhone 5s free for a week to test out their network.

T-Mobile Test Drive | Try our 4G LTE Network for Free

Old 01-31-2015, 07:52 PM

173 posts, read 312,946 times
I switched to T-Mobile from AT&T last year in an attempt to save money, and I had a lot of issues. Their coverage here is very lacking compared to Verizon or AT&T. If I was in a building, I would barely get service (and certainly not LTE). I wouldn't trust their online map at all either - my area (NW Cary) supposedly had great LTE coverage, but I always experienced dropped calls and dead zones. Thankfully, I was able to switch to Verizon through my employer a few months ago, and I've had no issues with their coverage.

T-Mobile's LTE radio bands are much higher frequency than those used by AT&T or Verizon. This means that their building penetration will never be as good as Verizon/AT&T as higher frequency radio transmissions do not travel as well.

As a side note, I'd be wary of T-Mobile even if they had decent coverage. Long story short, it took a few months of dealing with their customer service to be credited $450 for a device I traded in through their JUMP program. Then, once I cancelled to switch to Verizon, they tried to say I never returned their signal booster and charged me another $400+ which finally got resolved after sending them the delivery confirmation repeatedly.

Bottom line, I'd either stay with Verizon or switch to AT&T if you really want. T-Mobile is not worth the constant coverage issues or their awful customer service.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:48 AM

5,880 posts, read 6,946,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
As a side note, I'd be wary of T-Mobile even if they had decent coverage. Long story short, it took a few months of dealing with their customer service to be credited $450 for a device I traded in through their JUMP program. Then, once I cancelled to switch to Verizon, they tried to say I never returned their signal booster and charged me another $400+ which finally got resolved after sending them the delivery confirmation repeatedly.

Bottom line, I'd either stay with Verizon or switch to AT&T if you really want. T-Mobile is not worth the constant coverage issues or their awful customer service.
VZW has consistently been rated as having the best network, but also being the most expensive. We have been a customer of theirs for years, but are currently fighting with customer service as they keep "forgetting" to apply a credit for a phone upgrade. They say it will be on the next month's bill, but it still does not show. Bottom line - the wireless carriers are all notorious for poor customer service.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 PM

150 posts, read 227,400 times
The coverage for TMobile is fine for the most part, but as mentioned their signal does not penetrate buildings well. Outside it is usually fine. Even taking the phone out of your pocket makes a difference.

Typically where att will have 4 bars tmobile will have 2. It still works usually and if you need international service it cannot be beat.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:56 PM

150 posts, read 227,400 times
For smartphone users the advantage of T-Mobile is that they allow you to use all of the phone's features with no restrictions. Unlike the legacy carriers, they don't lock you out of using the phone as a hotspot, don't have extra data/usage charges, and certain phones have wifi calling which works very well.

If those features are appealing then switching may make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary