Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:47 PM

23 posts, read 81,251 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone-
Getting close to that time of year to start filing for taxes. Any suggestions for reputable people that do taxes in the North Raleigh area?

Thanks!
Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:38 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
Why not do your own with TurboTax? Unless your return is *very* complicated, this will do it for you. It's actually very thorough, and will walk you through step by step. There are tax packages you can purchase - we have used them all and they all do a pretty good job.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:04 AM

1,531 posts, read 1,546,240 times
Default Don't use TurboTax

Don't use TurboTax! I used it a few years ago thought the same thing....easy enough. About two years later, I got a notice from the IRS saying that I'd made a mistake and had to pay back $2500. Ouch! Plus, an accountant asks you questions and can find all sorts of tax breaks that TurboTax doesn't. For what you pay to use TurboTax, you can pay an accountant twenty or so bucks more and get a professional to do it.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:26 PM

12 posts, read 61,516 times
I have always gone to H&R Block to do my taxes until 3 years ago. I decided to take the plunge and do my own taxes through turbo tax. I found that the software asked me the same exact questions that H&R Block asked me and cost me $200 less by me doing it myself. I compared the taxes H&R Block did to the return I did and it was very similar. I've had no problems using it.

I am however moving on to a CPA this year because of my business taxes are a little more complicated. If you are interested in using a CPA let me know and I can talk to her. She is a friend of mine that is also the treasurer in my PTSA group.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:35 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,039,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvills View Post
Hey everyone-
Getting close to that time of year to start filing for taxes. Any suggestions for reputable people that do taxes in the North Raleigh area?

Thanks!
Jason
I have a person that I use, he is in the park. DM me if you want his information.

Leigh

Old 12-28-2007, 07:22 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,707,849 times
One year we found that H&R didn't know how to do our taxes. We went home, redid them, then went back to H&R to show them how. :P They ran the return for us because all the information was already in there, except for what we did, which they entered.

Sometimes, with tax software, they don't tell you why they are asking a specific question, and you might not be sure how to answer it because you don't understand it. I can see where that can lead to a problem later on. Maybe that's why they like to sell their 'guarantee' coverage at an extra fee.

We're at a point where we need to use a CPA. I got two names a couple months back ... will have to see if I can find them.

Leigh, did you ever send me your CPA's name? Pls pm me. (thanks!)

Old 02-19-2008, 11:06 AM

14 posts, read 110,142 times
Default Tax returns filing

Hi, Can someone suggest a good agent with whom i can file my Tax returns in the Raleigh or Cary Area..?? It would be really helpful...

Old 02-21-2008, 07:48 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,793 times
Question Tax Preparation

We used to pay around $65-80 to file taxes in Canada. When my husband checked with tax preparation agencies, he was told that he will have to pay around $350.

Is this the normal rate to file taxes?
How do most of the people file the income tax return?
What is the average rate?

We live in Wakefield Plantation area near Wake Forest.

Can anyone help me find out someone who doesnt charge high fees to file taxes?
Thanks

Old 02-21-2008, 07:56 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,566,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
We used to pay around $65-80 to file taxes in Canada. When my husband checked with tax preparation agencies, he was told that he will have to pay around $350.

Is this the normal rate to file taxes?
How do most of the people file the income tax return?
What is the average rate?

We live in Wakefield Plantation area near Wake Forest.

Can anyone help me find out someone who doesnt charge high fees to file taxes?
Thanks

Turbo Tax ($39.95 for Federal & State e-filing) It's very easy to do yourself, unless you run your own business etc. I've tried other online software and Turbo Tax was the easiest I've ever used.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 AM

718 posts, read 2,974,590 times
We pay 515.00 a year, but we own our own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary