Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 AM

4 posts, read 11,831 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone! Every bit of info is helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Ravens croft if you live in Raleigh, DA if you are on the Durham side. My cousins all went to DA and my daughter went to Ravenscroft.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:14 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthewise1 View Post
I was at a regional NCSO recently and saw DA students outperform Ravenscroft. FYI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoneOfThis View Post
Academically speaking, my understanding is that Durham Academy tops Ravenscroft, but the important thing is finding which is the better fit. DA is not for everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
Not always! You go google NCSO and see what appears. But thanks anyway.
Oh lord, are we going to start another debate/competition on which school produces the smarter kids? Here's the answer: Neither of them. Stop giving schools credit for the quality of the students they draw. The "smarter" kids are going to be smarter whether they are at School A or School B.

NoneofThis is right - the better question is which school is best for an individual student.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:33 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Oh lord, are we going to start another debate/competition on which school produces the smarter kids? Here's the answer: Neither of them. Stop giving schools credit for the quality of the students they draw. The "smarter" kids are going to be smarter whether they are at School A or School B.
So true, you hear about those studies that students at Ivy League colleges would have been just as successful if they went to XYZ state school. Sure you have the 'it's who you know', so going to an Ivy League school gets you some connections in professional life possibly, but in the end it's about the person. Of course the Ivies don't want to hear that it's not really worth going to their school, when you can get just as good of an education elsewhere for a third of the price!

Old 02-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Well, when it comes to colleges, I think another factor comes into play: brand value. Thus, while the education may not differ between an Ivy League school and a state school, the economic value of the degree might vary significantly. (Might, and cost of attaining the degree would have to be accounted for.)

Old 02-18-2015, 09:53 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
FTR, I did google NCSO and North Carolina Science Olympiad was the first result returned for me. I think google knows I live in NC, though, so it might return different results for other people.

I've know several DA folks who love their school. Being in Chapel Hill I see more DA kids and alums than I do Ravenscroft folks. I'm sure either school would be fine. They both have excellent reputations.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 PM

"North Carolina Symphony Orchestra" is what came to mind for me.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 2,747 times
We moved here from the Midwest almost 2 yrs ago and looked at both of those schools. Our son was in a small private school and the realtor scared us from public schools in Raleigh (so we didn't even research that option). We didn't have much time to look into schools, as we had offer to move here in May. The children at Durham seemed friendlier on our visit to DA. We ended up going with Ravenscroft as it was closer to home. Our experience has been mixed. Most of the academics are not that challenging and the teachers hands seem to be tied on teaching creatively. They all seem to follow the same cookie cutter methods. They are planning on changing their scheduling and maybe that will help allow the teachers to teach more in depth. The campus is nice. There is a sense of entitlement among the students and bullying exists at all schools to some degree. The faculty does seem to try to deal with it but at the middle school age, the kids know how to do it without the teachers being around. We are currently looking for other alternatives but have not found any yet. You are definitely in the South, so be prepared for some old southern views on things. We have lived in 3 different metro areas from Midwest to East coast.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:04 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lived Everywhere View Post
There is a sense of entitlement among the students.
You don't say. When you have an elementary and high school cost between $19,000 and $22,000 per year, I would think a good chunk of the students might come from some rather wealthy families, where entitlement is just how they were brought up.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 11,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lived Everywhere View Post
We moved here from the Midwest almost 2 yrs ago and looked at both of those schools. Our son was in a small private school and the realtor scared us from public schools in Raleigh (so we didn't even research that option). We didn't have much time to look into schools, as we had offer to move here in May. The children at Durham seemed friendlier on our visit to DA. We ended up going with Ravenscroft as it was closer to home. Our experience has been mixed. Most of the academics are not that challenging and the teachers hands seem to be tied on teaching creatively. They all seem to follow the same cookie cutter methods. They are planning on changing their scheduling and maybe that will help allow the teachers to teach more in depth. The campus is nice. There is a sense of entitlement among the students and bullying exists at all schools to some degree. The faculty does seem to try to deal with it but at the middle school age, the kids know how to do it without the teachers being around. We are currently looking for other alternatives but have not found any yet. You are definitely in the South, so be prepared for some old southern views on things. We have lived in 3 different metro areas from Midwest to East coast.
Thank you Lived Everywhere for your candid feedback. This is exactly the type of information we are looking for and hard to discover in one visit to the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary