Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,795 times

Advertisements

Great website - love all the information.

Considering moving to the area. Trying to understand the traffic flow on I-40.

Roughly, how long would the commute be from Cary to Exit 15 (Poole Road) towards Knightdale with morning and afternoon rush hour.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 08:26 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnaed View Post
Roughly, how long would the commute be from Cary to Exit 15 (Poole Road) towards Knightdale with morning and afternoon rush hour.
It depends on where in Cary you are leaving. I take the Beltline around the south side of Raleigh around 7:00AM. Traffic tends to flow at or above the speed limit, although construction can slow things down. I leave mid-afternoon, with the same results.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:01 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmnaed View Post
Great website - love all the information.

Considering moving to the area. Trying to understand the traffic flow on I-40.

Going which way, and to what part of Cary (which is rather spread-out) and Knightdale? I actually don't think you'd use I-40 on that route, but 440 ("The Beltline").

Old 02-23-2015, 10:08 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Going which way, and to what part of Cary (which is rather spread-out) and Knightdale? I actually don't think you'd use I-40 on that route, but 440 ("The Beltline").
Certainly does depend where in Cary you're coming from. If you're coming from north/west Cary and already on 40 by the time you hit Wade, you may want to take 440 around the northern Beltline. Anywhere else in Cary, and you'd generally want to take 40.

That said, the 40 rebuild project will affect things for the next couple of years.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:04 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I'm getting tired of mentioning this. Realtors can NOT solicit on this forum. Go join the RE group here on CD, get your Realtor badge, and once you have it, you may make general recommendations to assist people who are looking for advice (once you have at least 10 posts and are not a new member) and you may only offer your services via DM to individuals who SPECIFICALLY request DMs FROM REALTORS.

You may not cold contact posters and offer your services, nor may you offer them on this forum. You will be banned immediately if you do.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:00 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,991,194 times
Don't mess with RedZin after being snowed in this long.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:39 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Don't mess with RedZin after being snowed in this long.
Same poster did the same thing at 4:09...I hate think what happened to her.

Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Back to the topic...
Generally a commute from Cary to Knightdale is going to be a reverse commute for much of the trip if one takes I-40 along the south side of Raleigh. If one takes I-440 across the north side of Raleigh, the commute will be more mixed bag but still not as bad as going from east to west in the AM. If one is coming from far west Cary and takes 540 across the top of Raleigh, the commute will be far longer in distance but will still mostly against traffic. If I were going to commute to Knightdale from Cary, I'd look to be a close to US1 or I-40 as possible. I wouldn't want to wind my way through the middle of Cary with all the traffic lights, school buses and minivans.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:38 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,421 times
I had a very similar question when we moved few years ago. We live in south Cary and I work on Rogers Ln (I take Poole Rd exit on the way in). Due to construction I had to shift my hours to 10 am to 6 pm instead of 9-5. Going to work is very easy and from Rte 1 / 40 (or 440 - I still don't understand which one is which ) to Poole Rd it takes 15 min. Going back is more difficult because there is always some congestion right off Poole Rd (there is a right lane exit that always has a huge line of cars) and then another bad spot is between Lake Wheeler and Rte 1.

On a good day it takes 20 min., but 30 is probably average. I find that there is usually much less traffic after 6 pm. If you need to leave at 5 then 30 min. will probably be "good day". But like others noted you might get stuck inside Cary and also the upcoming construction would cause more delays. But overall to me after MD trafgic this is still piece of cake.

Feel free to ask if you need more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary