Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 04:03 PM

85 posts, read 224,524 times

Advertisements

I am renting a townhouse in SW Durham and there are mice within the unit.
I have lived here for 17 months and never been late on my rent. I noticed the first mouse last April.

Since then we have caught four more. I complained to my landlord and he sent a pest company who only placed baits. Now I see droppings near the baits. I am not a cat lover nor am I allowed to have them.
The landlord said he needs to check the HOA bylaws in regards to pest control

I just want to live without rodents. Am I obligated to continue paying the rent whilst vermin run freely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 04:28 PM

1,701 posts, read 2,590,497 times
Victor Live Catch Mouse Trap, 2pk - Walmart.com

Bait with a peanut. Catch cute critter. Release it outdoors, unharmed. Traps are reusable.
You can be kind to animals, even mice.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:37 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic View Post
I am renting a townhouse in SW Durham and there are mice within the unit.
I have lived here for 17 months and never been late on my rent. I noticed the first mouse last April.

Since then we have caught four more. I complained to my landlord and he sent a pest company who only placed baits. Now I see droppings near the baits. I am not a cat lover nor am I allowed to have them.
The landlord said he needs to check the HOA bylaws in regards to pest control

I just want to live without rodents. Am I obligated to continue paying the rent whilst vermin run freely?
Yes you must continue to pay the rent; you are not permitted to withhold rent. You should make sure you notify the landlord in writing, preferably with proof of delivery, of the problem, documenting what you have told him/her and what his/her responses have been.

You can contact the city of Durham and find out who is responsible for enforcing city housing codes relative to vermin. They will come out and inspect and serve as your advocate with the landlord to get the issue resolved.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 PM

@carolinadawg2-Thank you for your advice. I have contacted the landlord each time a mouse was spotted.
I do have a paper trail thankfully. The landlord seems sincere in handling the issue yet I don't think he understands the seriousness of the problem. I did send him a picture of the droppings yesterday.

@danielbmartin-Thank you for your kind words I don't mean them any harm I just don't want them in my home.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:52 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,176,299 times
I always use peanut butter on the trap. They have to work at getting it off. Never had a mouse I couldn't catch. They are creatures of the edges so place trap accordingly and be careful not to get your finger!

Old 02-25-2015, 04:58 PM

@carcrazy67-We have used peanut butter to catch the previous ones. I just want them gone.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:07 PM

715 posts, read 889,081 times
Getting a cat to just catch mice is not a good idea. They need human companionship and most would not know what to do so not only will you have unwanted mice but a unwanted cat.

You are always obligated to pay your rent no matter what...bet they are just looking for food/shelter from the cold. Just talk to the LL they don't want their investment to be rodent town either!

Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 PM

@CardinalRed..Yes you are so correct! Thank you for your advice.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I use the flat glue traps that you can fold up into a box. I was putting them under my stove, but I got smart and filled the crack under there with spray foam, then put the mouse traps in the crawlspace. Mouse goes in, gets stuck, throw trap away. No need to add bait. The trap smells good to them. I don't feel responsible for the lives of the mice.

I have more trouble with mice in the winter.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:43 PM

449 posts, read 700,103 times
We have a rescue cat (been with us for 4 years now, indoors) who is a great mouse catcher. We have only had them a couple of times, but boy she was right on it.

Our neighbor wanted to have her over... maybe we should rent her out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: