Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:44 AM

5,330 posts, read 3,210,678 times

Advertisements

Just cancelled my membership with Lifetime (used to visit the Cary location).

For the amount of money you spend on membership, the towels should be stocked, floors swept, machines wiped down. There is no reason an attendant can't be monitoring the guests to "encourage" them to keep the equipment clean. I know that Lifetime can't control the clientele, but there are some nasty folks there. Using machines and leaving their sweat dripping down. Hair all over the locker room floor. I'm not really sure where the money I was spending was going.

For what it's worth, if you want a great rate and extra LT Bucks to spend, you just need to cancel. They offered me the sun, moon and stars to come back, but I declined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 AM

129 posts, read 304,101 times
If youve got an insurance, or even an employer that can contribute, then lifetime may be a good deal.

i signed up as a founders member (have until the 24th to decide if i want to stay). and i asked about the price if i wanted to refer someone (family members). I cannot have more than 2 adults total to my account, so they would need a new account. They told me "we can probably keep the monthly cost the same, but the joining fee will be different).
dont quote me, but i think the joining fee is probably $130-150. and the monthly cost will be around $77.

sooo.... if you get a $25 kickback from insurance (i think Cigna is one of them), then you're paying $52/month for a platinum lifetime fitness.

im also a fitness connections member. $10/month ($30 1-time yearly fee). its so hard to justify the switch. but when you walk into a bigger lifetime, you see why some people pay extra.

you get what you pay for. yeah, there are dirty machines and dirty things at all gyms.

is lifetime worth $70? well, when i get on the basketball court and have basketballs available, people ready to play, no long waits.... i guess.. add nice, newer machines and yes i guess it is.

so i dont know. id recommend you guys getting a free 14-day trial. they told me its 100% money back, even the joining fee.
i dont know how much the actual monthly cost is, but if you'd like for me to "refer" you and try and get the $77 cost, shoot me a PM.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:36 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,075,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Tanning, at a health facility? Do they have a smoking lounge too?
No smoking lounge, but they do have some sort of Bagel day and pizza day per month. When I first saw that I couldn't believe it. Really - giving your members white flour processed carbs - the #1 thing that makes and keeps people fat - at a gym? Maybe they are ensuring continued membership lol. Also they have a big jar of tootsie rolls at the front desk.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 AM

248 posts, read 494,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
No smoking lounge, but they do have some sort of Bagel day and pizza day per month. When I first saw that I couldn't believe it. Really - giving your members white flour processed carbs - the #1 thing that makes and keeps people fat - at a gym? Maybe they are ensuring continued membership lol. Also they have a big jar of tootsie rolls at the front desk.
Umm, white flour carbs are not the #1 thing that makes people fat. Lack of exercise does and carbs are required for exercise. I agree that lots of what we think of as pizza or bagels is processed garbage but by definition pizza or bagels do not have to be. Also some of the regions of the world where white flour carbs are staples of diet have some of the longest life expectancy and low obesity rates.

People consumed tons of pizza and bagels in the 80s in the USA but as a country we did not have the obesity issues we have today.

The difference was back then people didn't spend all day on the Internet pontificating. Now THAT will plump you up, wreck your heart, soften your muscle tissue and send you to an early painful death

Old 03-12-2015, 12:58 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
I'm sure an occasional tootsie roll is going to send us all to hell. Do the lollipops at the bank doom us to Hades as well?

Nothing is being forced down anyone's mouth at any gym. What about all those fattening shakes that are for sale everyday at other gyms. I'm just so tired of people portraying PF as a pizza buffet when most members never even happen upon that one day a month. I admit to eating pizza a couple times a month at home and restaurants. I don't consider a good pizza junk food at all.

There seems to be this theme of when any gym is being discussed people feel they need to bash PF over the most trivial things.Just check out the fitness forum. If Gold' s gym gave free smoothies once a month would people cancel their memberships in protest?

Old 03-12-2015, 01:05 PM

248 posts, read 494,820 times
Athletes sometimes use sweets/candies strategically to control sugar levels and optimize energy. Making a lifetime commitment to massive intake of high fructose corn syrup is usually a bad plan, but as I said earlier things that kill you in excess are sometimes beneficial in moderate amounts.

Often when you hear of shakes and smoothies in a gym context, they are formulated as high protein meal replacements. Yes they can be high in calories but not everyone's goal is to lose weight, some people want to gain muscle mass and you need calories/carbs to produce the energy to build muscle.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:17 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm sure an occasional tootsie roll is going to send us all to hell. Do the lollipops at the bank doom us to Hades as well?

Nothing is being forced down anyone's mouth at any gym. What about all those fattening shakes that are for sale everyday at other gyms. I'm just so tired of people portraying PF as a pizza buffet when most members never even happen upon that one day a month. I admit to eating pizza a couple times a month at home and restaurants. I don't consider a good pizza junk food at all.

There seems to be this theme of when any gym is being discussed people feel they need to bash PF over the most trivial things.Just check out the fitness forum. If Gold' s gym gave free smoothies once a month would people cancel their memberships in protest?
I like the Tootsie Roll perk at Planet Fitness. Most of my workouts are at the corporate fitness center (which is not as glossy as Lifetime Fitness but certainly gives it a run for its money) where I work, but I keep the Planet Fitness membership for when I travel.

After I've burned off several hundred calories I enjoy a quick little cheat every now and again. And no one is either joining Planet Fitness or using their facilities because of the free food, it's just a marketing gimmick to make people feel like it's geared towards regular folks and not the muscle heads. I think they are great and do a super job of drawing in people who want to exercise but aren't in love with the experience (y'know, like my wife).

Old 03-16-2015, 02:19 PM

11 posts, read 25,710 times
FYI, Lifetime fitness is going private through an investment group. Leonard Green also is invested in Charlotte's Fitness connection among many other health/fitness investments. Will be interesting to see what the future holds in the fitness market.

Life Time Fitness will go private in buyout deal - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal

Up here in the twin cities where Lifetime started, rates have gone way up as they grew. 9 years ago it was $130 for a family membership that included childcare. Now it is $130 for an individual membership. Of course, if you remained a member, you were grandfathered into those rates. Too bad, I am a quitter and restarter.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,611 times
Default New Home Fitness Workout!

I saw a advertisement for another home fitness boot camp called 3x3 xcelerate workouts. I purchase a copy and was amazed by these workout DVDs. They have three different fitness level on each disc. Ranging from 25 minute workouts to 1 hour. So I'm not just stuck on one fitness level, but they give you multiple options. Also they audio option is pretty funky! They have what is called music selection. Which means you get to choose different style of music. Hay it a good workout, interesting and entertaining none the least. Here's the website link. [url=http://www.neotericbodyfitness.com/?f_checkoutResult=cancel]Neoteric Body Fitness, LLC[/url]
Attached Thumbnails
Lifetime Fitness - local membership prices?-facebook-10.jpg  

Old 07-18-2016, 05:43 AM

44 posts, read 49,091 times
We joined the Lifetime on Falls of Neuse last year. It's a Platinum gym and it's a little over one year new. The trainers and various other employees keep all the towels stocked and the gym very clean. The fitness classes are awesome, the aerobic equipments, and huge floor for free weights, then open area, then weight machines. We use the outdoor pool often as well, even on way home from work. The cafe offers very healthy food and snacks. Yes, prices aren't inexpensive but most people there work out hard and often because they value their fitness. Day care is free. I see lots of families there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary