Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:45 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
So any recommendation on an installer? OR can I go with the installation services that lowes and other big box stores provide?
We got ours at HD and used their installation contractor. They had it installed the same day. It's been at least 4 years since we had it put in and have had no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 02:33 PM

770 posts, read 2,754,195 times
Guess I should look at replacing my propane water heater that's in the attic . It's 22 years old.....

Old 03-12-2015, 03:17 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
I've been playing with "Baby Cams" for monitoring the crawl space and attic for problems. These cams typically support "night" vision, Wifi, etc with a mobile app so you can check things from your phone even when away. With pan/tilt/zoom you can find one for under $50. Attic temps can be marginal to the operating spec but no probs so far. Some of these cameras also have "alerts" that are sent when they detect motion or noise but no direct experience with that.

If nothing else, mentioning you have "a web cam in your crawl space" at a neighborhood party can be quite a conversation starter ...

Frank

Old 03-12-2015, 03:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
I've been playing with "Baby Cams" for monitoring the crawl space and attic for problems. These cams typically support "night" vision, Wifi, etc with a mobile app so you can check things from your phone even when away. With pan/tilt/zoom you can find one for under $50. Attic temps can be marginal to the operating spec but no probs so far. Some of these cameras also have "alerts" that are sent when they detect motion or noise but no direct experience with that.

If nothing else, mentioning you have "a web cam in your crawl space" at a neighborhood party can be quite a conversation starter ...

Frank
Kinda like watching grass grow

Old 03-13-2015, 07:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Among your neighbors at least, as they begin to speculate where you hide the bodies.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
These cams typically support "night" vision, Wifi, etc with a mobile app so you can check things from your phone even when away.
When the web cams were first coming out, I was working with a company that sold equipment to wireless carriers. One of their engineers was excited to show me a new set up, where they had put a web cam in a cell site so they could check on issues before driving out there. When he brought up the site, the screen was mostly black with a few red and green dots. The cell site had a sensor on the interior lights, so that after people left, it would turn them off. All we saw was a darkened cell site, with the LEDs from some of the equipment! Oops.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM

663 posts, read 1,619,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
We got ours at HD and used their installation contractor. They had it installed the same day. It's been at least 4 years since we had it put in and have had no issues.
Do you recall the installation cost?

Any other non-big box store "installer" recommendations? I suppose these installers would be plumbers?

Old 03-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcretro View Post
Do you recall the installation cost?

Any other non-big box store "installer" recommendations? I suppose these installers would be plumbers?
Sorry, no I don't recall the price.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 AM

143 posts, read 363,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlunk View Post
I think I'm going to need to replace my water heater fairly soon. I understand I'll have to apply for a permit. Does anyone know if an inspector will visit after the work is completed? This is in Cary.
I am in the same boat....have you checked out the tankless water heaters as option? Friends and family who have replaced tank heater with the tankless are raving about it but I am on the fence (costs more up front, not sure if the savings will offset this and how long it would take to recoup).

Old 04-11-2015, 12:21 PM

61 posts, read 122,836 times
We have a 15 year old gas water heater that we want to replace. It is power vented, needs a new expansion tank, and it is located in a garage. I was quoted 2800 for parts and labor. It seems rather high to us. Anyone had a similar situation lately? Care to recommend a plumber/installer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary