Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
LOL. Tin foil hats are almost as much fun as self-appointed dog statistic experts that "know" more than the AKC.
You are completely missing the fact that the AKC never said VET costs were
3K per year...

It's hard to communicate with someone who makes false statements, admits they
mispoke on the issue but keeps defending it anyway...

Old 03-22-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
LOL. Tin foil hats are almost as much fun as self-appointed dog statistic experts that "know" more than the AKC.
It is pretty common knowledge that companies fund their own research to get support & free press
for their products...Are you saying that isn't true??

Old 03-22-2015, 02:43 PM

304 posts, read 369,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
You are completely missing the fact that the AKC never said VET costs were
3K per year...
No I didn't miss it, I addressed it directly in post 37. You seem to have missed that, though. I'm sorry that this is all so difficult for you to process.

Did anyone happen to notice that (splitting hairs between vet costs and cost of ownership aside), some dog owners here in this very thread have confirmed these level of expenditures in their own cases?

It only confirms the AKC figures. I do realize some folks just aren't capable of "getting that". I just don't feel it's my responsibility to try and remedy that issue.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
No I didn't miss it, I addressed it directly in post 37. You seem to have missed that, though. I'm sorry that this is all so difficult for you to process.

Did anyone happen to notice that (splitting hairs between vet costs and cost of ownership aside), some dog owners here in this very thread have confirmed these level of expenditures in their own cases?

It only confirms the AKC figures. I do realize some folks just aren't capable of "getting that". I just don't feel it's my responsibility to try and remedy that issue.

The difference between $423 and $3000 is splitting hairs ??

Old 03-22-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
The difference between $423 and $3000 is splitting hairs ??
Making up scenarios like that goes way, way beyond splitting hairs actually. Not sure where you came up with that one.

I didn't come here to argue. Acquire all the dogs you want, post about your individual experiences, and opine about how your experiences are more meaningful than the findings of the American Kennel Club. Continue to read what you want to into everyone's post, ignoring important points like clarifications and corrections, and live happily ever after. But, I'm not going to sit here and try to input data values into a toaster and expect it to calculate rocket science formulas for me.

Hopefully those considering buying a dog will look to data from sources like the American Kennel Club (the final authority on the matter) in order to consider all possibilities before deciding whether to embark on such an expensive and long-term commitment as dog ownership. It's right for some and not right for others. Anyone that bases their decision off of the experiences of shallow individuals versus sources like the AKC probably deserves whatever they get.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
The AKC is hardly an unbiased organization, as shown by their opposition to the puppy mill bill last year, so I would be hesitant to use them as a source of statistical data. Here's just one story on them.
The AKC: Worst in Show : The Humane Society of the United States

Old 03-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Making up scenarios like that goes way, way beyond splitting hairs actually. Not sure where you came up with that one.

I didn't come here to argue. Acquire all the dogs you want, post about your individual experiences, and opine about how your experiences are more meaningful than the findings of the American Kennel Club. Continue to read what you want to into everyone's post, ignoring important points like clarifications and corrections, and live happily ever after. But, I'm not going to sit here and try to input data values into a toaster and expect it to calculate rocket science formulas for me.

Hopefully those considering buying a dog will look to data from sources like the American Kennel Club (the final authority on the matter) in order to consider all possibilities before deciding whether to embark on such an expensive and long-term commitment as dog ownership. It's right for some and not right for others. Anyone that bases their decision off of the experiences of shallow individuals versus sources like the AKC probably deserves whatever they get.
OMG are you serious ???

The AKC link you posted says vet costs per year average $423...
What Scenario are you talking about making up ???

Old 03-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The AKC is hardly an unbiased organization, as shown by their opposition to the puppy mill bill last year, so I would be hesitant to use them as a source of statistical data. Here's just one story on them.
The AKC: Worst in Show : The Humane Society of the United States
Whenever you devalue one solution, you should be prepared to offer a better one. Can you post the link to the statistical data on dog ownership costs that you DO believe is more credible?

Old 03-22-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
OMG are you serious ???

The AKC link you posted says vet costs per year average $423...
What Scenario are you talking about making up ???
You might just want to try reading post 37 again and again until a light comes on.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:23 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Whenever you devalue one solution, you should be prepared to offer a better one.
Fair point - but the comment was in response to an earlier comment about "tin foil hat" people having the gall to question AKC data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary