Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:06 PM

527 posts, read 686,940 times

Advertisements

I'm a little concerned and not sure what to do.

We own a house near State, and love it. There are some renters who live next door to us who have about 3 dogs. Look to be some sort of pinscher or pinscher mixes. The dogs are often really loud and aggressive if we're working out in the yard, cutting branches, or mowing the lawn, but we didn't think a ton of it. Yesterday, one of the dogs got into OUR yard, and I stared it down while it barked and snarled at me. Thankfully, our dog wasn't out, but I'm concerned if she is (little poodle mix) she may be attacked.

We've asked them a few times to put the dogs inside when we're out, but they have not been super receptive. I don't want to do anything that will get the dogs sent to the shelter, but I'm really nervous, and more for our little dog than I am for me.

What should I do? Can I have our lawyer send a letter? Just something to give them a kick and keep a better eye on their dogs? Thanks!

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 AM

492 posts, read 1,152,390 times
I would speak to the landlord first before any lawyer letters.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I'm a little concerned and not sure what to do.

We own a house near State, and love it. There are some renters who live next door to us who have about 3 dogs. Look to be some sort of pinscher or pinscher mixes. The dogs are often really loud and aggressive if we're working out in the yard, cutting branches, or mowing the lawn, but we didn't think a ton of it. Yesterday, one of the dogs got into OUR yard, and I stared it down while it barked and snarled at me. Thankfully, our dog wasn't out, but I'm concerned if she is (little poodle mix) she may be attacked.

We've asked them a few times to put the dogs inside when we're out, but they have not been super receptive. I don't want to do anything that will get the dogs sent to the shelter, but I'm really nervous, and more for our little dog than I am for me.

What should I do? Can I have our lawyer send a letter? Just something to give them a kick and keep a better eye on their dogs? Thanks!

I would perhaps have the lawyer send the landlord a letter, return receipt stating the issue and asking them to resolve the issue since it is their property.
The lawyer could remind the owners that they are responsible for any accident or injury caused by their renters and the pets living in the home.

The reminder that it could cost the landlord a financial burden because of an injury caused by his renters lack of responsible pet care should put a fire under his behind to get the issue dealt with quickly.

Other than that all I can suggest is to call Animal Control the next time the dogs get into your yard and are aggressive with you.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Check me on this, but I'm pretty sure that there is little* you can do if the dog is in THEIR yard, but once the dog is out of their yard, or their control, you can call animal control. First time is usually a warning, after that, it's usually fines and escalating penalties. If you have a smartphone, take a picture of the dog any time it is off their property (because it may be rectified before Animal Control gets there.)

I say "check me" because my info is not specific to Raleigh or Wake County, but I think it probably holds true. There may be other laws that apply too.

*A loud barking dog, even if on their own property, may break other ordinances. Look into it.

FYI: I'm a dog owner and a dog lover. Our dogs (Huskies) are always contained in the yard, or in the house, or on a leash tied to us. But even if they are in the yard, if they are making a ton of noise in the morning, we'll bring them inside. Never had a complaint, it just seems like the decent, neighborly thing to do when people are trying to sleep, or enjoy some peace and quiet.

Also, it seems you tried the right approach (talk to them) with no luck. If they continue to be bad neighbors, complain every chance you get. They are probably renters and sooner or later will get tired of that "$&$#&" neighbor (you) and leave. I'm sure that's perfectly fine by you. :-)

Good luck. I love dogs, I hate rotten people and/or bad dog owners.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:49 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
Definitely contact the property owner/landlord. Sometimes the landlord may not even be aware that a tenant has a dog. I'm a landlord and I've had a few incidents where tenants have had dogs I didn't know about. Depending on the breed, some dogs may be expressly forbidden by the landlords insurer as well.

Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
City of Raleigh has a leash law. Following that, no dog should be able to run into your yard. That also means I can't just send my dog out into my own yard unless it's fenced unaccompanied. How are the dogs getting into your yard? I'd give one more final warning in person or certified letter to landlord. I wouldn't jump the gun on the lawyer yet. After that I'd contact animal control. Trust me the first time the owners have to cough up "doggie bail" money they will usually change their tune. Irresponsible dog owners are a pain in everyone's behind.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:03 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I stared it down while it barked and snarled at me.
You are lucky you were not attacked. Direct eye contact is perceived by dogs as aggression/threatening behavior. There are things you can do to try to calm the dog, such as yawning, turning sideways, etc. Do not stare or run away.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Check me on this, but I'm pretty sure that there is little* you can do if the dog is in THEIR yard, but once the dog is out of their yard, or their control, you can call animal control. First time is usually a warning, after that, it's usually fines and escalating penalties. If you have a smartphone, take a picture of the dog any time it is off their property (because it may be rectified before Animal Control gets there.)

I say "check me" because my info is not specific to Raleigh or Wake County, but I think it probably holds true. There may be other laws that apply too.

*A loud barking dog, even if on their own property, may break other ordinances. Look into it.

FYI: I'm a dog owner and a dog lover. Our dogs (Huskies) are always contained in the yard, or in the house, or on a leash tied to us. But even if they are in the yard, if they are making a ton of noise in the morning, we'll bring them inside. Never had a complaint, it just seems like the decent, neighborly thing to do when people are trying to sleep, or enjoy some peace and quiet.

Also, it seems you tried the right approach (talk to them) with no luck. If they continue to be bad neighbors, complain every chance you get. They are probably renters and sooner or later will get tired of that "$&$#&" neighbor (you) and leave. I'm sure that's perfectly fine by you. :-)

Good luck. I love dogs, I hate rotten people and/or bad dog owners.
Responsible pet owners are awesome! Unfortunately they can also be rare.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:34 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,111,535 times
You could ask your neighbors if you could 'meet' their dogs. No, I am not kidding. Dogs, like humans, can worry about what they don't understand, and your response to them has not shown that you are eager to be friendly.

The neighbors could bring their dogs out to the front yard on leashes, one at a time, to meet you. Give them a treat. Let them get to know your voices and say sweet things. Do this two or three times. Then, while working in your yard, have the neighbors come out with their dogs and have a pleasant conversation over the fence with the neighbors. Let the neighbors feed some treats.

You can repeat this first part with your dog and their indiviual dogs on leashes in the front yard (neutral territory) which will definitely turn the heat down if you don't get all excited.

The key thing to remember is that the dogs are probably barking because they are worried about YOU. And their vision is only about 1/7th as good as yours.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Responsible pet owners are awesome! Unfortunately they can also be rare.
Rare? Seriously? I think the vast majority of pet owners are responsible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary