Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:57 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times

Advertisements

Good square footage for the price, but LOTS of kids. Alot of kids think they should have the right of way in the road instead of the cars -- they do not move out of your way. Some 'group' homes with troubled teens and subsidized housing in community. Ride after buses drop off and see about streets blocked and regardless where you buy - get crime report on area -- just remember EVERYWHERE does have crime - regardless. Always go by on late nights and weekends to - you'll meet potential neighbors and see what they are like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 09:20 AM

8 posts, read 34,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
Not to get off topic here here, but people seem to want to associate African Americans with diversity. If the neighborhood is 90% African American is that diverse? Am I missing something here? I love Diversity and I've lived in neighborhoods that were mixed with many, many races in the DC area, but when we looked in that area and I did look at Battle Ridge I did not see diversity at all. I saw only African Americans. I'm white and my wife is ½ white & ½ Puerto Rican and I did not see anyone like us there.

I'm not saying I wouldn't live there because there are African Americans, but I did not feel it was diverse at all and that's why I didn't want to live there. Now I have black, Indian, Vietnamese, and neighbors from all different parts of the country in my neighborhood. That is what I consider diverse.
Waterboy, we're looking for the kind of racial diversity you have in your neighborhood. Since diversity also consists of different ages, religions, ethnicities, etc - so we're also looking for that. I know there is not an area that will encompass everything we're looking for, but at least we may be able to find at least one neighborhood.

BTW - do you mind letting me know what neighborhood you're in? You may just end up with another diverse neighbor :>)

Old 04-19-2008, 08:54 PM

65 posts, read 267,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttackCat View Post
It's about 1 step above the ghetto there. Okay, maybe two steps.
WOW!!!! I do not think that it is that serious.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:53 AM

41 posts, read 223,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moni007 View Post
WOW!!!! I do not think that it is that serious.
It's not at all that serious! I simply ignored that comment because I can only imagine what they were basing it off of...sadly.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:42 AM

41 posts, read 223,537 times
Just wanted to give everyone an update since I'm now a RESIDENT of Battle Ridge I can't say we've been there nearly long enough to give anyone advice based on our experience alone but I've spoken to plenty of neighbors. First, there was some discussion about diversity. I have to say this is probably the most diverse block I've lived on in a while! Of the seven houses on our short block there are 3 black families, one middle eastern, 3 white families and us, and we are an interracial couple so we like to think we bring diversity everywhere we go, LOL! There is 1 marine, 2 firefighters, 2 nurses and that's just the folks I've met so far. My neighbor brought us cupcakes about 1 week after we moved in. I didn’t think that happened in real life, LOL! Another neighbor came down with their dog to meet our dogs which I thought was very cool! Anyway, I ask everyone I meet about how they like the community. Their first response is that they love it and it's relatively quiet, neighbors are friendly and they feel safe. One neighbor mentioned one house up the street being noisy at times with backyard BBQs. The other couple said they are looking to move in a few years only for more land. EVERYONE commented on how they wouldn't be able to afford such nice homes with the sq footage anywhere else.

I'd like to say everything was perfect, but I don't think you could say that about any neighborhood. Some of the negatives are where I live they just opened a road that runs through an old trailer park and so now people use it as short cut and drive way too fast. I was told by a neighbor that there are no streetlights at the central park in the neighborhood and some nights that attracts a lot of unwanted guest. We aren't close to the park, but that would probably drive me crazy if I lived near there! The homeowners fees are cheap but they obviously don’t enforce lawn mowing because some folks yards look terrible! But I’m coming from a community that was so strict that you’d get a warning if your grass wasn’t green enough J so I could be a little anal in that respect. The other thing is either I still have a lot more to learn about the area or there is absolutely no retail around!! The nearest Wal-mart is on New Bern Ave or up in Garner. I think we can actually get there in about 10 mins but it just seems to take forever. We can’t WAIT for Olde Towne to be developed across the street, but that will be years to come.

All in all, for some it will be just what you need and for others, if you can afford elsewhere, it might not be the place for you. All the negative comments about the place though I think are solely based on a small portion of SE and these people have probably never stepped foot in this particular neighborhood. Again, it may not be for you, but don’t knock it just because it’s different from what you’re use to or just because it’s considered SE. We’re a young couple in what we consider a starter home, no kids yet and simply needed an affordable, nice, safe home with a yard for our dogs. I think we’ve found that here J.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,961 times
Hi Wufpak27!
We're neighbors and I really like the neighborhood. We've been there for a little over a year and have not had any trouble. Did you get a chance to go the last homeowners meeting? They are putting a lot of things in place to make to make the neighborhood more secure. The playground can be a problem but many of us with families have decided to try and show up everyday so that the riff-raff can't take control of it. And my street is very, very, diverse too. We have an Indian family, 2 families from Puerto Rico, one mixed couple - wife from Cuba, husband African-American, a Mexican family (prettiest yard to me by the way). My street is what I consider the "last street" in the back of the subdivision. They're still building a few houses but thats going to be it. I would love to meet you!

Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,961 times
oops, I wanted to add that I have a five bedroom, 3000 square foot home with a huge beautiful kitchen, crown moulding throughout and nine foot ceilings. The construction foreman had us out there nearly every week showing us things. We hired an independent inspector before closing and he was very pleased with the quality of the work. I simply could not have afforded the square footage I have anywhere else.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:40 PM

6 posts, read 15,513 times
We just moved near Battle Ridge also from Apex and we love it!! Our neighborhood is so....quiet! I was hesitant at first because of all the negative comments about SE Raleigh but crime can happen anywhere: Wendell, Cary, Wake Forest (and it does). People just have to extra careful where ever they decide to live, not just on this side of town. I do have to get use to not having a grocery store just across the street but there is a hope because of the growth in the area. Can't wait for Olde Town Raleigh Shopping Center and Golf Course to be built!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 AM

2 posts, read 7,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufpak27 View Post
By diversity I wasn't really referring to race, aside from the fact that some people would turn away because it's mostly black...which is sad. I was just impressed that the golf community, retirement community and middle class community are essentially in the same neighborhood. And on a more selfish note, since my husband is a firefighter, there's a lot of law enforcement, firefighters and teachers in the neighborhood because of the affordability.

I did look into crime in the area and the neighborhood seems to be really safe. I agree that you can't judge it on SE's reputation in general. And it is OUT THERE! But not too bad of a drive.

Anyway....we took the plunge and bought the house!! I think we'll be happy with our decision and I appreciate all the feedback everyone has given. We don't close until June or July so I'll check back in in about a year and let you know how it's going
How are things going in the neighborhood? I am thinking of buying there now and I'd like a good opinion from a resident.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 AM

220 posts, read 866,035 times
Default Do not buy in chastain!!!!

OK, I know you asked for only residents who currently live there to reply. I used to live there, and GOT OUT AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!! My sister owns a home there, and REALLY regrets ever buying there. She lives in the nicer section, the Chastain section you are talking about at the back of the neighborhood. She lives near the park. When I was there, I could not take my daughter to the park b/c of fear I would get robbed, or something else worse. There were teenage/young adult hoodlems hanging out, smoking, doing/selling drugs, playing loud rap music, etc. At night they would be so loud, we would have to call the police. They even once threw a rock through my neighbor's window b/c he called the police!! IT WAS AWFUL!!!!!!!! Not to mention the crowd that came to the park from the trailer park next door... nice.
Plus, to top it off, there is a CONVICTED RAPIST in the front section of the neighborhood. Wow, that really made me feel safe when I wanted to walk/jog in the neighborhood. You can confirm that by checking the registered sex offenders website for NC. That's how I found out.
Yes, the back section does back up to a lovely golf community. I would jog there at times, and felt safer there. Still, I never felt safe in that neighborhood.
My sister has lost $15K in her home's value due to foreclosures in the neighborhood. She is unable to sell her house b/c its now worth less than she owes. She just had a baby, and is VERY scared for her safety in this area. Yes, it looks lovely in the daytime. But it is not a good neighborhood! It just wears a convenient mask at times...

DO NOT BUY IN THIS NEIGHBORHOOD!!! STAY AWAY!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary