Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:10 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
My experience with many rescue groups is that many are just hoarders who rarely actually place dogs in homes. Some of the requirements I heard were laughable:
"At least one adult must work from home or not work to be home with the dog during the day."
"Credit checks"
"monthly visits to your home before placing the dog", etc. I understand being careful or safe, but some rescue groups have criteria that 99.9% of the people will never meet. And that's why some of their rescue dogs have been in their possession for 4 or 5 years.
I think your experience to be the exception, not the norm. Just sounds like you've had bad luck with the groups you've come across.

We've adopted two dogs in the past 2 years, one from Saving Grace and the other from Franklin County Humane Society. Both did their homework on us but nothing crazy and they were really easy to deal with. I'd highly recommend them both.

http://savinggracenc.org/

http://www.fchsnc.org/

Last edited by iamweasel; 12-26-2016 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 07:39 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
My experience with many rescue groups is that many are just hoarders who rarely actually place dogs in homes. Some of the requirements I heard were laughable:
"At least one adult must work from home or not work to be home with the dog during the day."
"Credit checks"
"monthly visits to your home before placing the dog", etc. I understand being careful or safe, but some rescue groups have criteria that 99.9% of the people will never meet. And that's why some of their rescue dogs have been in their possession for 4 or 5 years.
I think "many" is an exaggeration. There are a few groups that go overboard, but they are just trying to perfect their requirements based on bad experiences. MOST groups are in it for the animals and do have some things they do, like home checks, vet checks and sometimes references. All for the benefit of the animal that they have taken in and gotten ready for adoption.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:00 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,479,878 times
One thing that can stop you is the ridiculous charges if you rent.

Pet fees, not deposits, are almost everywhere and neither the state or SPCA wants to tackle the greed involved.

There is a state law saying pet fees must be reasonable, but no lawyers have taken on the big landlord companies to demand proof the fees comply.

Really stops many renters from adopting.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:05 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
My experience with many rescue groups is that many are just hoarders who rarely actually place dogs in homes..
Agreed.
That has been my experience with multiple chapters of our breed's rescue organizations. From multiple states. Nut bags.

I like donating to local shelters or bringing food or other necessities to our city shelter. Used to volunteer there.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:59 AM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
One thing that can stop you is the ridiculous charges if you rent.

Pet fees, not deposits, are almost everywhere and neither the state or SPCA wants to tackle the greed involved.

There is a state law saying pet fees must be reasonable, but no lawyers have taken on the big landlord companies to demand proof the fees comply.

Really stops many renters from adopting.
No doubt. I wouldn't try it if I rented an apartment. I'm a homeowner.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:55 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
Anyone thinking about a new pet,of any kind. Please consider adoption

Adopt a Pet! - SPCA of Wake County
I liked Sydney on page 3, but she only comes as a package deal with her mom. Looks like we'll keep looking. Too many Pit Bull/Terrier mixes in the shelters.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,928,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed.
That has been my experience with multiple chapters of our breed's rescue organizations. From multiple states. Nut bags.

I like donating to local shelters or bringing food or other necessities to our city shelter. Used to volunteer there.
Rescue groups and breeders are not the same, of course, but it seems some of those "rescue" groups that only focus on one breed can be a little different. Not all, but some.

I'd say there is definitely a higher chance to run into some unusual stuff with a single-breed rescue group as opposed to those who just focus on getting good dogs no matter what they are. Just my opinion...

Old 12-28-2016, 08:35 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
I think your experience to be the exception, not the norm. Just sounds like you've had bad luck with the groups you've come across.

We've adopted two dogs in the past 2 years, one from Saving Grace and the other from Franklin County Humane Society. Both did their homework on us but nothing crazy and they were really easy to deal with. I'd highly recommend them both.

Dog Rescue & Dog Adoption - Saving Grace Animals for Adoption, NC. Serving the Wake Forest, Raleigh, Durham areas in NC.

http://www.fchsnc.org/
I don't want to get ahead of myself too much...but after going to a "meet the pups" event at the Lynnwood Brewing Company that was hosted by Cause for Pause I am very impressed with that organization. The Cause for Paws volunteer coordinator and the foster parents were all great! Very informative about the pups, asked me questions about what I was looking for in a dog but otherwise weren't overly intrusive....and were very encouraging for my prospects of getting one of the few that I really liked!

Here is their website. I'm hopefully getting either Lilly, Gronkle, or Hiccup!

Cause for Paws - Pet Adoption - Cause For Paws

Old 12-28-2016, 10:13 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,163,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Rescue groups and breeders are not the same, of course, but it seems some of those "rescue" groups that only focus on one breed can be a little different. Not all, but some.

I'd say there is definitely a higher chance to run into some unusual stuff with a single-breed rescue group as opposed to those who just focus on getting good dogs no matter what they are. Just my opinion...
All of my negative experiences with rescue groups were breed specific. They are hoarders who rarely if ever place dogs into homes. Many of the dogs they are "trying to place" have been in their rescue groups for years. I just came to assume they used it as a tax write off and kept all of the dogs they could grab from the shelters. I was told by more than one shelter employee that they called certain rescue groups as soon as a certain breed came through the door, that they always had first dibs on them. The dog I adopted from a shelter down at the coast, I must have gotten to them early. I was told when I got there that they had received several phone calls from rescue groups asking them to hold the dog AFTER I did so. These groups make their requirements so absurd that hardly anyone can meet them. And they keep the dogs.

Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
I agree with the negative comments posted about rescue groups. I will never, ever, ever contact another rescue group to try and adopt a dog ever again. I had multiple representatives talk down to me starting from initial contact. And while some of the rules are understandable most are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary