Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 04:20 PM

288 posts, read 414,105 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys.
I really like the Woodcroft area in South Durham.
I was looking at some of the Ticon properties in the area (like fox chase and Lochridge), but they don't allow a non-permanent co-signer unless I'm a grad student. I've had health issues the past few years and don't meet the criteria without my Dad as a cosigner (even though I have more than enough money saved to pay rent).

Anyway...are there any other reasonably priced apartments in that area that aren't owned by Ticon?
I really want to be within walking distance of the trails.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 05:03 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,978,513 times
i live in audobon lake and enjoyed it. Rode the ATT ALOT

Old 04-06-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
i live in audobon lake and enjoyed it. Rode the ATT ALOT
That's a Ticon property...and unfortunately they won't let me apply with co-signer.

Audobon Lake, Fox Chase and Lochridge were my top 3. All Ticon properties. I talked to them today and they won't make any exceptions. I either have to qualify on my own, or be a full time student.

Really frustrating.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:30 PM

203 posts, read 327,750 times
Audubon Lake is owned by Ticon.

Most buildings that are owned by a management company only allow co-signers for students. You could try to find a private landlord but there probably aren't many in that specific area. The bigger issue is that, although you have money saved, the income criteria required by rental companies is there for a reason. You don't want to get in over your head and not be able to afford rent. If you can't qualify in your own, you need to wait until you can.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
Audubon Lake is owned by Ticon.

Most buildings that are owned by a management company only allow co-signers for students. You could try to find a private landlord but there probably aren't many in that specific area. The bigger issue is that, although you have money saved, the income criteria required by rental companies is there for a reason. You don't want to get in over your head and not be able to afford rent. If you can't qualify in your own, you need to wait until you can.
Where I currently live now in Wilmington, it is a management company owned property and they have no issue with my dad as a co-signer and me not being a student.
They just treat him as another tenant basically, even though he isn't here full time.
I don't understand what's wrong with that.

It's not an issue of money. I can afford the rent, and I have help. That's the whole point of a co-sign.

And I can't just wait until I qualify. I need someplace to live and with my current health I just don't make enough income to qualify.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:12 PM

203 posts, read 327,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnb View Post
I just don't make enough income to qualify.
You just answered your own question. Right now, you don't make enough money to live on your own. The requirements for renting an apartment are not unreasonable, typically you must make 3x the rent in gross monthly income. They are trying to avoid having to go through an eviction, which would destroy your chances of renting in the future as well. Yes, it sucks but it's not in your best interest to rent a place you can't qualify for.

Why not try finding a less expensive place? You may not be able to afford to live exactly where you want but you have to work within your means. There's always the option of roommates.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
You just answered your own question. Right now, you don't make enough money to live on your own. The requirements for renting an apartment are not unreasonable, typically you must make 3x the rent in gross monthly income. They are trying to avoid having to go through an eviction, which would destroy your chances of renting in the future as well. Yes, it sucks but it's not in your best interest to rent a place you can't qualify for.

Why not try finding a less expensive place? You may not be able to afford to live exactly where you want but you have to work within your means. There's always the option of roommates.
I understand what you're saying...but maybe what I'm saying isn't making sense.

Regardless of my income, my dad is willing to back me up with renting a place.
So if he qualifies (he makes a ton of money, he could qualify anywhere), why can't he essentially rent an apartment that I live in?

The rental companies have a guarantee they will get their monthly rent.

And again, I currently live, and have been living this way for a while with zero issues.

And I know I'm not the only person with health issues, or other issues, who can't qualify for a an apartment, can't live with their family, yet has someone who is willing to sign a lease with them.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 PM

120 posts, read 237,631 times
There are a bunch of places along Renaissance Parkway--most of which have Southpoint in the name. With the new bridge across 40, the ATT crosses easily and you'd have access to both sides. I don't know what their policies are, but there are several and none of them are Ticon. Quite a bit more expensive, but since you said it's not an issue.

We toured a unit in the...Belmont...maybe? Right across 54 from Audubon and it was nice. Bonus points for being next door to Kroger.

Good luck! We ended up in a house in Parkwood down the 54 when we lived over there. Several apartment complexes along there, but none of them seemed great. Best wishes for improved health!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary