Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:29 AM

119 posts, read 201,221 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if anyone's heard of this burglar tactic. Someone in our Raleigh neighborhood reported seeing a car with just their parking lights on sitting at the corner. A nearby house was dark except for path lights, but someone was turning the path lights off, one at a time. Eventually, they were all off. Then someone driving through the neighborhood saw the parked car and slowed down long enough for it to turn on its headlights and drive away. The strange thing is, we heard later that the owner of the house (who was actually there, but had gone to bed--it was about 11 pm) didn't actually have path lights!

Was this just a prank, or a scam? For the life of me, I can't figure out what the purpose could be of putting out path lights (or lanterns or whatever they were). I've heard of leaving litter or flyers to see if an owner's away, but if the owner noticed someone put out lights, then they'd know something's up, and would have some evidence, to boot. Very strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 11:10 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I'm confused. How can someone turn off path lights if the home did not have path lights?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm confused. How can someone turn off path lights if the home did not have path lights?
There are some solar path lights that need no installation.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:34 PM

119 posts, read 201,221 times
The home didn't have them, but there were lights outside (along the walkway) that were being turned off one-by-one. So someone (not the owner) put them there at some point, and then that night came back and picked them back up.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
Someone stole your LED pathlights?

Old 04-13-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmod View Post
The home didn't have them, but there were lights outside (along the walkway) that were being turned off one-by-one. So someone (not the owner) put them there at some point, and then that night came back and picked them back up.
You mean someone stole the path lights?

In any event, whoever saw the car outside simply should have called 911. It's called watching out for your neighbors!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:48 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
I got that they put them there, and then "stole" them back, but what exactly was the scam?

I don't mean to sound dense, but nobody will get ahead by putting solar lights out, and then stealing them back. What was it they were actually taking? That is what is confusing me....

Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM

Thanks, MyGhost. I've been taking meds for a sinus infection. My confusion with this entire thread was beginning to make me wonder if my brains were more rattled than I realized!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is might 'sound dense.'

Old 04-13-2015, 12:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,774,235 times
It sounds like some sort of SIGNAL, to me. Maybe they had the wrong address (or an out-of-date address), and they were signaling a Swat Team/Agents/Hit Men. Or maybe burglars now work in teams, with someone doing recon first, with a secondary vehicle (like a MOVING VAN) arriving later. The path lights would be ideal, actually, as a signal.

PS:
To answer: "If they stole solar path lights, it sounds like idiot teenagers to me. Or stupid criminals. In any event, I stand by what I said earlier: Somebody should have called 911."

Remember, the Owner did not have path lights to steal. These individuals apparently put them out, then collected them.

Old 04-13-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
It sounds like some sort of SIGNAL, to me. Maybe they had the wrong address (or an out-of-date address), and they were signaling a Swat Team/Agents/Hit Men. Or maybe burglars now work in teams, with someone doing recon first, with a secondary vehicle (like a MOVING VAN) arriving later. The path lights would be ideal, actually, as a signal.
If they stole solar path lights, it sounds like idiot teenagers to me. Or stupid criminals. In any event, I stand by what I said earlier: Somebody should have called 911.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary