Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,065 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have taken a new job in Raleigh and will be moving there in the next couple of weeks. I am unfamiliar with the area and am looking for some advice on where to look for an apartment. A bit about me that might help: mid-30s, will be working downtown, I have a small dog, I own motorcycles so a garage is necessary, and I like to stay active in the gym or with sports.

My apartment search has been all online which is difficult without seeing the the surrounding area. Two areas that seem to have a nice apartment selection are North/Northeast Raleigh which would require me to take Capital Blvd. and the south part of Cary. Any thoughts on either of those two areas?

I appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 05:57 PM

563 posts, read 956,387 times
Where is your job in Raleigh? It is a large city and for the most relevant suggestions, having an idea of that location would make sense

Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,065 times
The job will be near "Nash Square" which I believe is 50 and Morgan Street. Thanks for the help!

Old 04-26-2015, 07:38 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
the "Marquis" complexes are a really solid bet - they have some garages and allow pets. Also allow flexible (< 1 yr) lease if you want. The Marquis on Edwards Mill would be a good convenient location.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Why not look for an apartment in Downtown itself? There are lots of great new options with garage spaces. Park that cycle and walk to work and nightlife.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:48 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
just a word of caution in some of the NE area Raleigh complexes. Not to downtalk the area, but I went to look at some when my DD was moving here last summer. they looked great online but when I went to check them out, oh my: trashy, filthy, run down places . playground and tennis court were advertised in one complex and neither actually existed.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:59 AM

386 posts, read 605,991 times
what's your price range and what are you looking for with an apartment or location? That might help us narrow it down a little.

I'll message you some info about the apartment complex I live in if you're interested.

PS: If you go to www.walkscore.com , type in an address and scroll down - there's a section with a map that shows you how crime compares to other parts of Raleigh. That'll help you out a little if you're doing your search online as to what neighborhoods are alright and which to stay out of.

Last edited by pbctong; 04-28-2015 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
just a word of caution in some of the NE area Raleigh complexes. Not to downtalk the area, but I went to look at some when my DD was moving here last summer. they looked great online but when I went to check them out, oh my: trashy, filthy, run down places . playground and tennis court were advertised in one complex and neither actually existed.
^True dat.

In the end, you usually get what you pay for. There are some exceptions to that rule but it's a fair statement just about anywhere. I would NOT want to commute to DT on Capital Boulevard. It's packed during rush hour and your quality of life will suffer if you like spending time outside of your car.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:07 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Yeah, avoid NE Raleigh. Downtown is the hopping place right now, especially for folks your age. The only thing that might limit your search is access to a garage, but you could easily live walking distance from Nash Square (do your searches using "Dawson St", not 50, + Morgan or Hargett St) and if you had to keep your bike offsite, it could be walking distance as well, I think. Downtown Raleigh is served by the R Line, a bus.

Ray Price Harley Davidson is a longtime motorcycle dealer in the area; I don't know if they would be somewhere to call and ask about apartments that can store motorcycles? Or whether there's something like a Facebook group for Raleigh bikers, etc.

You don't want to live off Capital, for both distance and sketchiness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary