Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:30 AM

11 posts, read 11,657 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recent experience renewing a driver license (Cary office, Maynard Road)? Is it best to make an appointment? How long of a wait should I expect? Any better times to go? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:59 AM

386 posts, read 605,483 times
go to the DMV office on Avent Ferry Road in Raleigh - that's the best one I've been to in the area.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 AM

62 posts, read 204,133 times
I just renewed my license back in March and went to the Maynard Rd office at ~11:00. The wait was long, a little over an hour. Test took less than 5min, tho. Best thing to do is make an appointment. You can do that on the DMV website. My wife did that a few weeks ago and was in and out of that same office in <15min. Def the way to go unless you are in a time crunch like I was. The appointments can be booked up for over a week.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:43 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
My GF and I renewed a few weeks ago at the Maynard office. The crowd was big, but we were in and out in about an hour also. The people working there were notably cheery and nice to deal with, and the people waiting all had a good sense of humor too.

In hindsight, I guess an appointment would have been better, but if you go in expecting at least 90-120 minutes (eat and pee first, LOL), then whatever you get should not be too bad. If you can't bring a smiling S.O. like I did, then bring a book, or phone with games, or something to keep you occupied.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:08 AM

821 posts, read 1,461,954 times
I can definitely say not to go on a Friday mid-day - went first to Maynard, was told at least a 2 hour wait (since cash is required and I had none, I went to Avent Ferry after getting cash). Avent Ferry took about an hour and 45 minutes. In 8 years, I'll make an appointment, but at least it's done for now!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM

148 posts, read 170,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
go to the DMV office on Avent Ferry Road in Raleigh - that's the best one I've been to in the area.
Agreed - I renewed over lunch a few weeks ago. In and out in about 20 minutes.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM

127 posts, read 215,992 times
Fuquay Varina DMV never has a wait.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:13 PM

272 posts, read 303,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weiyan8 View Post
I just renewed my license back in March and went to the Maynard Rd office at ~11:00. The wait was long, a little over an hour. Test took less than 5min, tho. Best thing to do is make an appointment. You can do that on the DMV website. My wife did that a few weeks ago and was in and out of that same office in <15min. Def the way to go unless you are in a time crunch like I was. The appointments can be booked up for over a week.
Test? What test? I have to renew at the end of the year, didn't know anything about a test.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:40 PM

148 posts, read 170,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainednCary View Post
Test? What test? I have to renew at the end of the year, didn't know anything about a test.
It's sort of like a vision and sign recognition test all in one. You put your head against a machine and are asked to describe the objects flashed in front of you. The objects are street signs. If you can't see them, you fail the vision part. If you see them but can't describe them, you fail the sign recognition. The signs are pretty obvious. Takes no time at all. That being said, they always "reserve the right" to test more thoroughly, either via quiz or driving test. I've never heard of anyone having that right exercised upon them.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:16 AM

62 posts, read 204,133 times
Like DKEBeck88 said, it's a simple eye and sign test. It had been a while since I had looked at all the signs so I did have to study them for 5-10min before the exam. Probably would have missed a few otherwise. But def not difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary