Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 11,379 times

Advertisements

Is the commute time from Durham (america tobacco campus) doable to Wake Forest? Realistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 05:47 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
From your other posts, it looks like you'll be working in Durham and potentially living in Wake Forest. If you're driving at rush-hour times, NC 98 can get pretty backed up coming out of Wake Forest in the morning and going back in the afternoon. My wife does the reverse commute (central Durham to WF in the morning, back in the evening), and it generally takes her about 30 minutes each way. She often makes comments about the heavy traffic headed in the other direction, too.

For your commute, I would expect about 45 minutes each way (less if you're starting on the western side of WF, more if you're coming from the east side of town). If there's an accident on 98, that could stretch to an hour or more since it's a two-lane highway for most of that trip.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:41 AM

386 posts, read 605,991 times
Define doable/realistic - I've done 1 hour commutes before. It would be a 45-1 hour drive on 98 each way.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbctong View Post
Define doable/realistic - I've done 1 hour commutes before. It would be a 45-1 hour drive on 98 each way.
My husband and I would be moving from Chicago so the commute times here are quite lengthy (anything an hour or less is considered pretty decent). I'm spoiled right now with a 30 min commute, on the other hand he does an hour and a half commute.

45 min - to an hour would definitely be feasible......thank you fro the help!

Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by November6 View Post
My husband and I would be moving from Chicago so the commute times here are quite lengthy (anything an hour or less is considered pretty decent). I'm spoiled right now with a 30 min commute, on the other hand he does an hour and a half commute.

45 min - to an hour would definitely be feasible......thank you fro the help!
I grew up in Chicago, so I get it. But one of the best things about living here is that you can usually find what you're looking for closer. Like 20 minutes or less. If Wake Forest is close for one of you, go for it, but if not, why? I mean, its a lovely town but nothing about it seems to stand out to me regarding what it offers.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:27 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I'd much rather live in Durham myself than Wake Forest. Is one of you working in WF or do you have other ties there? HAve you been to visit the area?

Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
I guess the commute is doable, but you might get tired of it really quickly. I just scanned your other posts - congrats on working at American Tobacco campus - it's just the coolest.

Wake Forest is a lovely town but if it were me, I'd find it just too far for a twice a day commute when there are perfectly lovely and similar looking neighborhoods in Durham. Someone else would need to weigh in about schools - I don't have kids. But a lot of people who live in Durham do.

Make sure you do the drive at rush hour when you visit and take a full tour of Durham neighborhoods - definitely suggest renting for a while when you get here because it would be such a shame if you bought a house in Wake Forest only to find later that you really would like to live in Durham after all.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:28 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,035,513 times
We live in Wake Forest (moved here 10 years ago from southern wake county - first holly springs, then cary/apex). Anyhow, my husband commutes to RTP every day and it takes about 45 minutes. So, it depends on where you are going in durham and where you live in wake forest!

We live on the west side of town, off of purnell road. We purposefully chose this area for ease of his commute - he doesn't have to get on 540 and goes the back way to the brier creek area. If you are in durham, and live in the purnell road area, then you can easily hit 85, and get to durham that way. We can get to Duke University in 35 minutes........

Leigh

Old 05-21-2015, 03:52 PM

Thank you for all of the help - much appreciated!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:51 PM

342 posts, read 751,945 times
Same here Leigh. We are also off Purnell and my commute to RTP is about 27 miles, 35-40 mins. BUT, I see the traffic building earlier as time goes on. Here 4 years now and I have to hit 98 westbound before 7am. Another 30 minutes and it is jamming up real good at 6 Forks and then further on down through Durham.

Still we love it here. No 440/540 to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary