Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 02:48 PM

148 posts, read 676,625 times

Advertisements

Even the best movers will damage things in transit - and the bad ones will destroy your stuff, especially if your stuff is consolidated to another truck before going across country.

Definitely sell, but if you don't make sure you get additional insurance from your insurance company, not the movers....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim&Cyn View Post
Does anyone know how well antique's stand up to the move? I have a couple of furniture pieces that were my mom's. Not of any real value, besides sentimental.
We moved some antiques from Portland, OR to Durham this summer. One was a dresser w/ a detachable mirror and another piece was a secretary with a glass doored bookshelf that sat on top of the secretary. I worried about those pieces the most since they had glass components. But they arrived here in perfect condition!! We hired professionally movers to put the stuff on the truck and carry it across the country. We packed all the boxes. But for the furniture they wrapped it in blankets etc.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:26 PM

241 posts, read 934,553 times
Okay, check out this link to another amazon book. Read the reviews They are saving 40% on furniture by coming to NC to purchase it. So, to move a dresser, for example, would cost approximately $130 (for us... so, these numbers relate to the moving estimates I got). Let's say I can sell the dresser for $200. I just, in theory, made $330 by NOT bringing that dresser. A new dresser from Pottery Barn runs about $1000.00. 40% off would be $600 for a dresser. Going to an outlet or no name would cost even less. Again, I didn't do a ton of research on this, but it's ballpark.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
One thing.

Much new furniture is crap from Asia. Many once famous NC names no longer make their wares and import them.

If you have good stuff in good shape, it might be a whole lot better than the trash in the furniture stores.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:57 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
We had very little furniture to buy when we moved here and am glad we didn't have to buy more Don't forget to factor in the hassle of actually finding the stuff Hours and hours and days and days of research and slogging through stores.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:00 PM

36 posts, read 84,263 times
Wow! Thanks! Sounds like it's worth waiting and looking into a lot aof good deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
When My wife and I moved here from the UK we brought some stuff but we moved from a 1200 sq ft home to a 3200 sq ft home and need to buy some more.
WE shopped around and bought some stuff from Furniture Land South but it wasnt the cheapest. If you can take the time to shop around and compare prices I think you can save a lot of money e.g.
WE bought a discontinued buffet server (Drexel) from Home Goods for 400 and had to get a matching table so I called around Drexel dealers. I was quoted between $1700 and $3000 - I called a small dealer in cathage and she quoted me $700 delivered!
WE saw a Drexel Amoire in Home Goods for $1500 , the same one was in FLS for $3000 reduced from 5000. I spoke to the manager in Home goods and informed her we had just moved , liked the amoire but couldn't afford that much , she said "How about if I reduce it to $900?" - SOLD!
Heavners sell decent samples , Costco has good prices but limited selection

Old 10-20-2014, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 692 times
I need to sale a queen size bedroom set posted on Craigslist but no one has reply and I am moving time is wasting

Old 10-20-2014, 03:59 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarah View Post
I need to sale a queen size bedroom set posted on Craigslist but no one has reply and I am moving time is wasting
If it hasnt sold on CL its probably priced to high. Just like houses,furniture thats priced right will sale..

Old 10-20-2014, 05:31 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
If it hasnt sold on CL its probably priced to high. Just like houses,furniture thats priced right will sale..
If you itemize taxes, consider donation.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarah View Post
The way to sell it is *not* to post to a 6 1/2 year old thread on a discussion web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary