Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 10:58 AM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times

Advertisements

News today in WRAL TechWire that NetApp is going to announce the layoff 200 employees in the Triangle today. What with the Lenova Server employee layoffs last week, and the ongoing Glaxo layoffs it seems a lot of well paid jobs are going away. Any thoughts on impact to the local housing market, and the Triangle economy in general?

NetApp reportedly cutting 15 percent of its work force at RTP campus :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Lenovo layoffs were a foregone conclusion after their acquisition of IBM's server business. Same pattern as they had followed with the PC business. It's an M&A event, not an indication of the state of the local economy.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:39 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,382,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beermat View Post
News today in WRAL TechWire that NetApp is going to announce the layoff 200 employees in the Triangle today. What with the Lenova Server employee layoffs last week, and the ongoing Glaxo layoffs it seems a lot of well paid jobs are going away. Any thoughts on impact to the local housing market, and the Triangle economy in general?

NetApp reportedly cutting 15 percent of its work force at RTP campus :: The Skinny at WRAL TechWire
What percentage of the local workforce do those layoffs represent? What percentage of the total local payroll? How many of those laid off are single income households who will have to quickly sell their houses at a loss, or lose them to foreclosure? What percentage of the laid off workers will find a new job within a relatively short time frame?

Without knowing the answers to those questions, one can't really answer your question. My guess is that the answer to your question is not much.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
GSK has actually laid off close to 1000 by now. I can't say this with certainty, but within a couple years, most of the 4,500 employees in this area will be gone. GSK will most likely keep the Zebulon manufacturing facility (1,000 employees), since they've invested so much and it's the only one within the US, but IMO GSK in RTP as we know it, is finished. That's a huge void to fill, as they were the highest paid employees in biotech within the region.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:30 PM

69 posts, read 173,411 times
Many of these laid off employees are highly skilled and will be able to find work at any number of the other local companies. I've heard that companies looking to fill biotech positions are having a much easier time finding qualified, local candidates to fill their openings, given the recent flood of GSK employees on the market.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chofmann79 View Post
Many of these laid off employees are highly skilled and will be able to find work at any number of the other local companies. I've heard that companies looking to fill biotech positions are having a much easier time finding qualified, local candidates to fill their openings, given the recent flood of GSK employees on the market.
Not a lot of companies will match what big pharma pays.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:42 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
That's kind of what I was getting at. Some of these people, even when they find new jobs, will be taking a 20-50% pay cut. That's pretty significant.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
That's kind of what I was getting at. Some of these people, even when they find new jobs, will be taking a 20-50% pay cut. That's pretty significant.
You're both absolutely correct. That's the word I hear from all the people I know who've either left GSK on their own or have been forced out due to layoffs over the years. With layoffs as huge as they're predicted to be this year, I think a good many will either absorb the pay cut or (if they can) switch industries.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:10 PM

142 posts, read 179,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
This is a good reason to #1 keep abreast of what your skills and experience are worth in your local market and #2 prepare to move if you can't get back to where you want to be compensation wise.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:48 PM

272 posts, read 303,444 times
What does the SAS employment picture look like? What is their hire/fire profile like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary