Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 PM

40 posts, read 156,874 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area and wondering if there are any running clubs, trails or races in the triangle area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 PM

250 posts, read 1,245,777 times
Try NC Roadrunners Club

Last edited by cary_nc; 01-19-2008 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: fix url link

Old 01-20-2008, 08:07 AM

176 posts, read 645,463 times
If you are near Durham and looking for a running club, try Carolina Godiva Track Club. CGTC

In addition, Endurance magazine has lots of info on local runs. You can find free copies in those boxes outside of stores, post offices, etc. or just go online at: Home

There are great trails all over. Try Duke Forest, in addition to the State Parks in the area. (Umstead, Eno River, Jordan Lake, etc.)

Happy running!

Old 01-20-2008, 10:42 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,157,960 times
this may be a stupid question, but coming from out of the area, i'm just curious:
are there any issues with joggers/cyclists safety from dogs, people, other wildlife (coyotes, snakes, bears i guess )? due to the fact that the weather here is either too hot, too cold, or raining most of the year, i dont really ever go to trails specifically. i'd like to get into running outside or biking when i move to the rtp area, and also possibly hiking in the mountains to the west. also, what are the laws/norms about pepper spray and the like? i've never bought anything like that before, especially with the strict laws in NY and MA where i'm from.

thanks for any input.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
this may be a stupid question, but coming from out of the area, i'm just curious:
are there any issues with joggers/cyclists safety from dogs, people, other wildlife (coyotes, snakes, bears i guess )? due to the fact that the weather here is either too hot, too cold, or raining most of the year, i dont really ever go to trails specifically. i'd like to get into running outside or biking when i move to the rtp area, and also possibly hiking in the mountains to the west. also, what are the laws/norms about pepper spray and the like? i've never bought anything like that before, especially with the strict laws in NY and MA where i'm from.

thanks for any input.
I'm not a runner but my husband is, and we're both cyclists. When we moved here my husband's requirement was "I want to be able to run with the dog without getting in the car first." For that reason, we live near the Black Creek Greenway in Cary.

Most of the towns around here have extensive greenway systems. The greenways are great for walking and running. I would not say you are routinely at risk from dogs or people. There is a leash law and most people adhere to it. I would not personally see a need to carry pepper spray. We did see three copperheads (snakes) on the greenway this year, all in the early evening. Those you just want to avoid -- don't mess with them. I've only heard the very rare report of coyotes in the area, and there aren't bears.

The greenways are not as great for biking because there are so many walkers and runners. They are OK if you want to stay under 10-12 MPH to reduce the risk of collision. The roads are OK but not great because there are not always shoulders. Because of the lack of shoulders, it is better to run on greenways rather than roads. Many people who road bike choose to do group rides for better visibility. There also are a few mountain bike trails around.

Hiking in the mountains, and issues of bears and such there, is probably a whole different discussion.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:38 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,599 times
I love running around Shelly Lake . .it's exactly 2.08 miles.
you might want to try *Welcome :: Set Up Events and go to "NC"
I do triathlons and this is where they have all the races listing so you might see if there are other races listed there...

good luck and run on!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,720,599 times
the only issue for me is that there are so many cute doggies out there that I'm compelled to stop and pet them. Today at Shelly there were no less than three puppies...everyone is great about the leash laws so I've never had an issue it's just they're so darn cute....people are very friendly and it's nice to chit chat and still get a good workout..

Old 01-20-2008, 05:50 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post

thanks for any input.
The are tons of trail and greenway in the area. Make a point when looking for a place to live to be near one so you don't have to get in a car every time. When I was training for my last race, the wife and I would run in our neighborhood twice a week, then meet up with the Roadrunners group at Shelley on Saturday mornings. It was really nice to get out that one day and do something different and interact with a group.

I grew up road biking, but was always wary of it in the Triangle. I finally got involved with some rides a few years back. The remote areas we would ride and now all developed. It is getting harder and harder to find good safe places to ride. I'm seriously thinking about selling my road bike.

My latest thing (when not freezing!) is to ride on the American Tobacco Trail or at Umstead. A hybrid or mountain bike is perfect for these. I've never really liked narrow singletrack or really technical mountain biking, but if you are into that sort of thing, there are options as well.

As for safety, single women can be a target on the Greenways. There have been incidents at Shelley Lake and Lake Johnson in the past (as well as some other places). It is rare, and you still see a ton of solo women out running or walking, but it is definitely something to be aware of.

The Tobacco trail goes near some rural areas with stray dogs. I've been concerned on rides about dogs wandering around. I've never had an issue, but it definitely makes me nervous.

You'll see dogs off the lease at Umstead. I've had a few issues with aggressive ones when walking mine on the lease in the past (and the owners *always* say they've never done that before. Yeah, right). Lots of trail runners run here. Something to be aware of, especially if you aren't careful and scare a dog.

Never had an issue with a "wild" animal around here. In the mountains, I've come up on bears twice. But they were more scared of me that I was of them. Not like running into a Grizzly in the Rockies. I would never bother to carry pepper spray around here for that reason. The only thing that pepper spray might prevent is a rape. Or then again, it might just make someone madder.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,699 times
Most of the locally owned running stores have regular runs once or twice a week.

Here are some Raleigh links:
Team Raleigh Running Outfitters
Fleet Feet Raleigh (http://www.fleetfeetraleigh.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=29&Itemi d=57 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary