Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:37 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sittingonamtntop View Post
Just 45 minutes per week for AIG instruction? That doesn't sound very effective.
My youngest is in 1st grade at a GT school. They do pull him out for enrichment. While it is not every day, they do give him homework packets in addition to his regular homework. They are optional but he loves them. He just finishes them too quickly. The other nice thing is that they pulled him out for enrichment in reading but they also gave him the math for fun and that is what he loves and has now excelled at. Also, my son's school (Hunter) is very good at keeping my son interested and challenged in regular classes. He is given bigger non-fiction books to read, he is given the opportunity to help some other kids with their math and reading which he enjoys, and he could take the "smart" electives (but he really loves PE). I have been really happy with his opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 09:25 AM

83 posts, read 149,573 times
Default Enrichment vs an AG Magnet

I have 3 kiddos in school - One at Enloe, One at a base MS, one at Farmington Woods IB magnet. IMO - If you have a child that is truly academically gifted, 4 level work consistently, performing 1-2 grades above level you need to be in an AG school (if in public) - Hunter/Fuller ES, Ligon/Carnage MS, Enloe HS (they may have added some others... IB program is also worth looking into for AG kids).

Here's why - Most base schools have one AG coordinator for the whole school. She/he may pull-out/push-in "enrichment" to offer more challenging work to your child. Additionally, in single subject acceleration (SSA) your child will likely be taking class with the next age group up. I didn't care for those experiences with my DS who is now in HS.

AG schools offer 1-2 year acceleration in both LA and Math. If your child qualifies for both at a high enough level he/she will also be enrolled in AG science and social studies. It ... makes... a .... huge ... difference IMO. Your child is in class with all other AG students, they push each other, they encourage each other, they call/text/email about homework. It truly is a different environment. They are immersed in the AG environment vs. having "enrichment".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary