Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 AM

195 posts, read 285,882 times

Advertisements

With the new Abbott's Creek elementary school and the Abbott's Creek Park and Community center getting built on Durant Rd., I expect the area to only grow and get more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:14 AM

27 posts, read 44,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDJE View Post
We are renting in Windsor Forest right now and the train tracks have not been an issue at all. Sometimes you hear a whistle but it's never bothered me in the slightest. We love the neighborhood. No neighborhood pool but there is a small pool for the townhomes at the front of the neighborhood. The access to Durant Nature Park and the trails is fantastic.
I just walked and drove through Windsor Forest and I really liked it, too. Quiet, and the houses are really well-kept up and most had a pretty floral garden in front, too. Even though the train went by once, it was way off to the edge and there's a wooded buffer and a creek buffer. I'd rather have a train once a day than a constant drone of highway or busy road noise .... WF is further away from the 540 (I personally can't stand that hum when I'm sitting in my garden) --
and it's away from the electricity poles, too, so I thought it was the nicest location, as I don't like those things.

In WF, the HOA fees are so low, which is great, as we're not used to HOA's and prefer not to have any costs like a pool, because we're always at the bigger facilities for sports anyway.

but all the communities seem very nice in that general area Now I think it's quite a good deal, actually!

Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 AM

27 posts, read 44,306 times
I am glad to hear this whole area is probably appreciating in value (I hope the same for the economy and jobs/wages!)

Old 06-02-2015, 11:17 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Before the slowdown in RE, most areas here (Wake County) appreciated 4% to 6% per year. NOT the 10% per MONTH that places like Florida were appreciating so when the bubble burst, we had no bubble! People that had to sell, had to drop prices as there were less buyers. So, prices did go down.

Today, we have low inventory and many buyers so we are now in a seller's market. Prices ARE going up. Some neighborhoods are back to prices before the slowdown.

Hopefully, things will settle down a bit and prices won't go up too fast. Slow and steady is good!

Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 PM

715 posts, read 888,260 times
Scary part is prices in certain subdivisions are well above pre-recession.... Crazy ride and we just have to see the shake out but the premium on new construction is ridiculous today. I see townhomes without amenities selling for well over 300k with little to no lot.... People are buying into schools and first time in all my years seeing this kind of purchasing. I think people are so obsessed with low rates they will overpay and outbid on the multiple offers...

Old 06-03-2015, 02:00 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalRed View Post
Scary part is prices in certain subdivisions are well above pre-recession.... Crazy ride and we just have to see the shake out but the premium on new construction is ridiculous today. I see townhomes without amenities selling for well over 300k with little to no lot.... People are buying into schools and first time in all my years seeing this kind of purchasing. I think people are so obsessed with low rates they will overpay and outbid on the multiple offers...
Yup. The morons are inflating another bubble.

Don't join them. Much new construction will have no more than 5 good years before the inferior materials start bleeding maintenance.

My son just replaced his A/C compressor for $2K. Cheap junk didn't even last 5 years. A/C tech said it was builder grade crap.

In contrast, most of the A/C units in our 16 year old apartment community are chugging along fine with no preventive maintenance except filter changes.

Last edited by saturnfan; 06-03-2015 at 02:09 AM..

Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 AM

84 posts, read 91,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Yup. The morons are inflating another bubble.

Don't join them. Much new construction will have no more than 5 good years before the inferior materials start bleeding maintenance.

My son just replaced his A/C compressor for $2K. Cheap junk didn't even last 5 years. A/C tech said it was builder grade crap.

In contrast, most of the A/C units in our 16 year old apartment community are chugging along fine with no preventive maintenance except filter changes.
Can we please put all the crusty old curmudgeonism into a new thread dedicated to whining or something? The OP wasn't asking anything about new construction or A/C units.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 7,143 times
Default we moved to Durant Trails in October '14...

Moved here from western Virginia and looked at 50+ homes in North Raleigh and Wake Forest before we chose this one. We feel like this particular area is still an excellent North Raleigh "deal" especially if you want proximity to midtown, downtown and I-540. This "established" neighborhood is so much nicer to live in than we thought it would be! The residents are very friendly and active and the pool is nice as are the tennis courts, playground and common areas. The HOA fees are very low compared to others. One of my daughters will attend the new Abbots Creek ES next year. But Durant Road ES - which is the go-forward base school - is excellent, according to everyone I have met. We are also close to North Raleigh Christian Academy which my oldest daughter attends and it is a fantastic school.

The other connected neighborhoods around Durant Road between Falls and Capital are very nice also. I would recommend any of them. Here a few things to be aware of if shopping for a home here:
  • some high tension power lines run through one slice of Durant Trace
  • Hiking Trail and Cub Trail are cut-through roads with nice homes . Make sure you're okay with the pace of the traffic before considering a house on these streets.
  • I-540 noise near some homes in Alyson Pond
This year we noticed several homes here in Durant trails sell as soon as they came on the market. It does seem like perhaps in the past this area was overlooked in favor of other "new" neighborhoods and now demand is increasing. I would not hesitate to move here for $15K more than we paid, but it needs to be something that is a good fit for your situation.

Last edited by ADinRaleigh; 06-03-2015 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: city-data garbled the formatting the first time

Old 06-03-2015, 10:27 AM

195 posts, read 285,882 times
And AT&T has been laying down fiber for their "GigaPower" gigabit internet speed service. So that should be there pretty quick.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:29 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iota20 View Post
Can we please put all the crusty old curmudgeonism into a new thread dedicated to whining or something? The OP wasn't asking anything about new construction or A/C units.
They were talking about appreciation. A history of major failures in the newer construction may well influence buyers to avoid them as used homes. That may well kill resales as home inspections come out bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary