Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 PM

56 posts, read 92,392 times

Advertisements

Does NC follow the common core curriculum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 09:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
yes, currently

Old 06-06-2015, 09:30 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearyjoy View Post
Does NC follow the common core curriculum?
Yes, see this discussion:
//www.city-data.com/forum/north...n-core-nc.html

Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Those 2 words literally cause a physical reaction in me. It's not the idea it's the a**backwards implementation and the fact that even though I'm literate and college educated I apparently can't help my kid with simple math because I'm not an artist or someone who wants to spend 20 min solving something that used to take seconds.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Those 2 words literally cause a physical reaction in me. It's not the idea it's the a**backwards implementation and the fact that even though I'm literate and college educated I apparently can't help my kid with simple math because I'm not an artist or someone who wants to spend 20 min solving something that used to take seconds.
Sing it.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:36 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
The NC legislature voted to repeal CCSS, but until they put something else in its place, they're continuing to use them.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like them, for the most part.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:24 PM

I understand the concept but it's so drastically different in its methods that without teacher to parent instruction it's impossible to replicate how they want it done. I feel helpless when my daughter doesn't remember how she is supposed to do the problems because it's not any way similar to how the majority of adults learned to do them. Very frustrating....

How many times have you heard " No we can't do it that way"? To which I reply "well how did she show you"? " I don't remember.....

Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,235 times
Common Core does not dictate methods, only standards. So while 3rd graders need to know multiplication tables by the end of the year, it doesn't state how that must be accomplished. It's up to the school district to choose which curriculum to follow, to meet the standards. I think a lot of times, Common Core is blamed, when it's really the curriculum that is difficult to for kids (and parents) to grasp.

I had to ask my first grader's teacher how to do some of her math homework, because I didn't know the method they were using, and my child didn't remember how to do it. It wasn't the standard algorithm I had learned, 35+ years ago. But, it wasn't really that big of a deal. The teacher showed me, I understood, and I was able to help my child. I could see that the object was to teach a conceptual understanding of the process, and not just the quickest method to solve the problem. They did learn the standard, old-fashioned way, too, in 2nd grade.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:38 PM

The part about every student learning the same thing at same time isnt the problem. My daughter is in 2nd grade and they never learned any of the old fashioned way. Just the new ways which happened to coincide with common core implementation . So even though I understand the difference , it all goes together when people think about common core in its practice.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:06 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
The NC legislature voted to repeal CCSS, but until they put something else in its place, they're continuing to use them.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like them, for the most part.
There are parts of CC that I like, too, particularly with language arts. However, when a child is marked wrong because they can solve a math equation in 2 steps instead of 20, that is ridiculous. And yes, that does happen. Personally I am glad to be done with elementary school. It's not so bad in the higher grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: