Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:43 AM

112 posts, read 112,127 times

Advertisements

Do you think Raleigh could support a Major League Soccer Team? We recently attended the Railhawks vs New York Cosmos and their was 7000 people there, a very good attendance. With the Sport gaining more fans year by year surely an MLS Team would be great for this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 08:48 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
No.

I wish I could say yes, but I don't think we could.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:37 AM

644 posts, read 842,610 times
It is a travesty that there isn't a MLS team in the area. We have one of the highest rates of kids in soccer programs through High school and the local schools have some highly touted recruits. The weather is also perfect for the MLS. If Kansas City can have a team that enjoys a rabid fanbase, why can't we?

Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
According to wikipedia:

"Major League Soccer considers several criteria when determining where to award expansion franchises: (1) owners that are committed to MLS and have the financial wherewithal to invest in a team, (2) a stadium or approved plans for a stadium (preferably a soccer-specific stadium) that allows the team to control revenue streams such as parking and concessions, (3) the size of the market of the metropolitan area, and (4) an established local fan base."

So I guess one could argue we have 3 and 4 covered. Maybe an existing stadium can be used to satisfy 2, but they would likely not control the revenue streams as required. More imporantly number 1 appears to be missing. Who is prepared to step up and put the money on the table?

Old 06-12-2015, 10:17 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
It is a travesty that there isn't a MLS team in the area. We have one of the highest rates of kids in soccer programs through High school and the local schools have some highly touted recruits. The weather is also perfect for the MLS. If Kansas City can have a team that enjoys a rabid fanbase, why can't we?
Not necessarily doubting you, but I'm curious if you have stats to show the bolded? One of my friends asked me if youth soccer was as big down here as in Northern Virginia, and I said it seemed fairly big but it is hard for me to tell. How would you measure this?

Old 06-12-2015, 02:50 PM

70 posts, read 162,123 times
Yes but...

We have no local owners. Traffic (the current owners) will hopefully be on their way out as they are pretty deep in the current FIFA scandal. Local ownership is the key. See Minnesota/Atlanta. I am a season ticket holder as my way of showing support for professional soccer in the area, but nothing will happen until Traffic sell the team and we have an owner that is committed to growing soccer in the area.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:57 PM

644 posts, read 842,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Not necessarily doubting you, but I'm curious if you have stats to show the bolded? One of my friends asked me if youth soccer was as big down here as in Northern Virginia, and I said it seemed fairly big but it is hard for me to tell. How would you measure this?
Just looking around and talking to people. See this link. Yes, we aren't California, we can never be as soccer crazy as California or Jersey but we are pretty high behind these two Stateshttp://www.collegesoccernews.com/index.php/recuiting/high-school-prospects/739-class-of-2015-high-school-seniors-2

Old 06-12-2015, 06:01 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Ha! I'm going to answer my own question!

I just looked up youth soccer rates in the US. First an interesting fact:

In 1974 there were 103,000 kids in youth soccer.
In 2014 there were 3,055,000 kids in youth soccer.
Wow, has it grown!

Anyway, according to the US Youth Soccer State Association:

There were 73K youth soccer players in NC.

States that have more youth players include:

Calif: 322K
Texas: 247K
NY: 183K
Mass. 167K
Penn. 163K
New Jersey 151K
Virginia 144K
Florida: 114K
Washington: 100k
Maryland 97K
Michigan 92K
Ohio: 92K
Illinois: 81K
GA: 79K
Minn: 77K

Of course some of those states are bigger than NC. With NC being the 10th most populous state, it has the 16th highest number of youth players.

Interestingly, it appears that most all of those other states already have at least one MLS team (along with a few other states) or are getting one in the next few years. Obviously, not a great metric, but there does seem to be a high correlation of existence of MLS team with popularity of youth soccer (when using raw numbers).

Source: http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/media_kit/keystatistics/

Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
I'd buy season tickets.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM

112 posts, read 112,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I'd buy season tickets.
So would i The great advantage of having a Soccer Team in the MLS is the Global recognition it gives to a City. The MLS is shown on TV all around the world. No-one outside of the UK had heard of my town back home untill we reached the English Premier League. Now their are probably kids in Thailand and China walking around in our replica Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary