Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 03:33 PM

84 posts, read 91,298 times

Advertisements

At least I learned something today. I was wondering why this area is so flooded with people who want to move here. Because the Internet has been telling them to.

I personally only believe half of what the Internet tells me and less than a third of what the Twitter does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 04:08 PM

8 posts, read 8,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
It's me again. I'm glad you weren't insulted over my remark about race but trust me when I say it's a factor we all deal with from time to time. Sometimes it's veiled and sometimes it's more open. I just wanted to prepare you for possible backlash. I still stand by Durham but downtown Raleigh is great if you can afford it. The good news is you can sense you aren't one of those people who want an urban experience in a white neighborhood. Look right east of downtown and south. Now people will tell you that these are the higher crime areas. Maybe so but in comparison to Chicago it's laughable. There is very little innocent bystander crime going on. These are really the only affordable areas around downtown Raleigh and they do have bus service. I used to live around St Aug college and loved the area. I think you will be happy in whichever you choose.

Lol well no I was not at all insulted like I greatly appreciated it. I also don't pay attention to people sayings things like high crime areas in other places because I'm from Chicago. South side of Chicago at that it is very laughable. I was worried about raleigh being more expensive because the city is just so gorgeous it looks like it would be but, once again being in Chicago the word "expensive" pertaining to cities in the south doesn't really scare me either lol. After looking in a few apartment sites I'm sure I can find something affordable in both Durham and Raleigh but looking at these responses I'm seeing that there is some confusion on my transportation question. Everybody's opinions is all over the place and I'm starting to get confused about it.

Old 06-19-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This is ABSOLUTELY ONLY this person's opinion, and I completely disagree with EVERYTHING they said.

Some of it is factually wrong. Durham is NOT "mostly black". Another poster pointed you to the demographics, but Durham's population is about 39% black, 39% white, and the remaining 22% is Hispanic, Asian, and others. Raleigh is 30% black so hardly a huge difference.

Durham is definitely not "lower class". Duke University is in Durham, one of the top universities in the country. Duke brings in all sorts of speakers, programs, productions. Duke's Nasher Art Museum is wonderful.

Durham is full of creative people, great music, great beer, great food.

Durham is also home to the American Dance Festival, one of the biggest international modern dance festivals with dance companies from all over the world participating.

Durham also hosts the Art of Cool Jazz festival.

Durham is home to the Durham Performing Arts Center, again, one of the top venues in its class -- "Listed five times in the top 5 in Pollstar magazine’s annual worldwide theater attendance rankings, DPAC is currently the #4 ranked theater in the U.S."

The American Tobacco Campus is a fantastic revitalization of old tobacco factory with the iconic Lucky Strike tower still standing. They have music on the lawn and other events, tons of restaurants. Right around the corner is the Durham Bulls triple A baseball stadium (far better than anything in Raleigh, truly, one of the top minor league teams in the country and they even made a Kevin Costner movie about 'em).

If you're a foodie, you'll be in heaven in Durham. The New York Times, Food and Wine, Bon Appetit, Gourmet, and many others have written glowingly about Durham's food scene.

I am happy where I live in Chapel Hill, but if I had to choose between living in Durham and Raleigh, it would be absolutely no contest and Durham for sure. I know my spouse feels the same way because we've talked about. It's a great town. I like Raleigh all right, but it's too crowded and sprawling for me and everybody and their conservative brother from the northeast is moving there. Durham is much more liberal than Raleigh if politics are important to you and has a tremendous growing creative vibe. It seems to be attracting creative, foodie, entrepreneurial types. Raleigh has some of that going on, too, but Raleigh and especially Cary are attracting families looking for a "safe" place to raise their kids. That's not to say that there isn't good creative stuff happening in Raleigh, too. There is and some great restaurants and fun museums, but when I think of Raleigh I think "family-friendly" and when I think of Durham I think "creative, artistic, great food". Some people think "crime" when they think Durham, but I've been hanging out in Durham for 30 years and not been shot yet. I'm sure neither city compares to Chicago.

Wow your response just blew my mind and was amazingly helpful. You basically described in one post everything I'm looking for. I'm glad you also asked if I was a foodie because I was considering putting that in my post as a standard but I thought it will seem kind of childish to make that a necessity. But I am a very, very, extremely, huge foodie. Once again with the crime thing I am from Chicago nowhere in North Carolina will be even 1/3 of what I'm used to living here basically my whole life. I also already looked up the demographics for all three cities and all of them are basically right behind each other so my needs will obviously be met with any of these cities when it comes to that. I know I got a family/suburban vibe from Cary but I didn't know Raleigh basically gives off the same vibe I'm gonna have to look into that. But thank you so much for your response. My main question now is who has the best transportation???

Old 06-19-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
I can understand someone wanting to be with people who are similar to them (in any way, be it culture or hobbies or whatever) especially if they've felt alone and isolated in the past.

Regarding racial demographics, you can go here:
The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Click the blue "Add Map Labels" button on the left. Then zoom in to the Triangle (or Raleigh or Durham or wherever). You'll see what areas/neighborhoods have higher concentrations of White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, and Other.
This is amazing thank you so much for this. Also thank you for understanding I appreciate it a lot.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:43 PM

715 posts, read 889,246 times
explains all the letters I get from people wanting to buy my house... My house has over a thousand views and a boat load of likes if you look on the Internet.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
I never got past the OP's first sentence, where she asked us to ". . . bare with me." THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:15 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadembean90 View Post
This is amazing thank you so much for this. Also thank you for understanding I appreciate it a lot.
Glad to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadembean90 View Post
My main question now is who has the best transportation???
I think Chapel Hill has the best bus system, then Durham, then Raleigh. No idea about Cary's system (they do have one though). Here's a good website for new people about all transit options in the Triangle:
Help Me I Am New » Go Info » GoTriangle

I live in Raleigh so can only speak to it. There are bus stops all over, but some of the routes are weird and travel time can be crazy using the bus for longer distances. I've never depended on the bus for transport myself but have had coworkers who did, and it was pretty hard on them getting to work on time. Plus they were already tired by the time they got to work. (Though it could be easier depending on the route and where you live/work.) Also note, many of the bus stops have no shelter or cover (it's been 100+ degrees here lately). Downtown has the free R-Line but it only services downtown, which does have everything you need to live, I think, except no grocery stores. You'd still have to use the CAT bus or other transport to get to other parts of the city. Also, I don't think there's any service between Raleigh and Durham or other Triangle towns, so you'd need to use alternate transport for events/restaurants/etc. in those places.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:49 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRhythm View Post
Glad to help!

I think Chapel Hill has the best bus system, then Durham, then Raleigh. No idea about Cary's system (they do have one though). Here's a good website for new people about all transit options in the Triangle:
Help Me I Am New » Go Info » GoTriangle

I live in Raleigh so can only speak to it. There are bus stops all over, but some of the routes are weird and travel time can be crazy using the bus for longer distances. I've never depended on the bus for transport myself but have had coworkers who did, and it was pretty hard on them getting to work on time. Plus they were already tired by the time they got to work. (Though it could be easier depending on the route and where you live/work.) Also note, many of the bus stops have no shelter or cover (it's been 100+ degrees here lately). Downtown has the free R-Line but it only services downtown, which does have everything you need to live, I think, except no grocery stores. You'd still have to use the CAT bus or other transport to get to other parts of the city. Also, I don't think there's any service between Raleigh and Durham or other Triangle towns, so you'd need to use alternate transport for events/restaurants/etc. in those places.

There is the TTA(not sure if that's still the name) that goes between Raleigh and Durham. But Mrs. Rythm is correct about either cities buses being a hassle. If your on a straight line like Capital it's doable,it's the transfers that eat up your time. The best I've heard it described is that our bus service is designed for people without cars not as an alternative to those who do.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:41 AM

Thank you both so much but I'm almost 100% sold on Durham at this point looking more into it. Thank you all for your help and responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary