Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 01:52 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times

Advertisements

I've had really good success with Preventic collars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 02:15 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
IMO I think people get a little irrational over ticks and no product is a magic shield so if you find a tick its not reason to think it's defective. It's like bug spray it'll stop most of them but some mosquitos still try...good genetics i guess i dunno.
Yeah but apparently the ticks are supposed to die before they are able to engorge themselves

I've heard good things about that seresto collar.

Old 07-07-2015, 04:53 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I'd just ask your vet what they recommend for your dog. Ours recommends frontline, but if your dog doesn't react well to that your vet may have another recommendation.

Yes you can feel ticks on my dogs. Don't know about huskies.

Some people like to give dietary supplements, too. I've never put much faith in that, though. I just yank the suckers off and go on with it. Sometimes I put a little antibiotic ointment on it if it's particularly bad.

I didn't even know dogs could get RMSF. I knew they could get Lyme, but never heard of any dog getting RMSF.

Lots of things cause hotspots. Best solution is to shave the affected area and try to keep it dry and keep the dog from licking it. My dog used to get them because of fleas or just random itchiness. It's basically like a mosquito bite you scratched too much and then you can't stop picking at it. Anything can cause the initial itch and then if the dog goes after it, it can get infected and turn into a hot spot.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:38 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
My vet highly recommended the Lyme vaccine stating that it is becoming all too common in this area. I gave it to my dog but given yours is a pup, you may have to hold off til full grown.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:03 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Just another counterpoint.

When we picked up our dog from the pound 11 years ago she was *covered* in ticks. At least a dozen, if not more.

We immediately picked up the topical application (Frontline) and a collar.

After about 6 months of use, we discontinued it. Partly out of cost, and partly because of research I was doing online from folks who used it and it basically liquefied their dogs organs. You're putting pesticide directly onto the dog's skin.

We discontinued use and switched to a generic heartworm pill from Australia and only give her that over the spring and summer months (it's not needed if there are no mosquitos present).

We walk her 3x a day outside and once to twice a week at Durant Nature Park. Needless to say a heavily wooded area. So far to this day, we have only picked a single tick off of her, a couple years ago.

I'm not anti-immunization in any way, but do have to question putting these powerful chemicals directly onto our pets when there really is no significant benefit. IMO of course.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 AM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
We discontinued use and switched to a generic heartworm pill from Australia and only give her that over the spring and summer months (it's not needed if there are no mosquitos present).

Heartworms in Dogs: Facts and Myths
Q: Can I skip giving my dog his preventative during colder months, when there aren’t any mosquitoes?
A: The American Heartworm Society recommends year-round heartworm prevention. One reason is, there’s already a serious problem with people forgetting to give their dogs the heartworm preventatives. It’s a universal problem. Now if you use it year-round, and you miss a month, your dog will probably still be protected. But if you miss more than one or two months your dog could become infected.
The other reason not to stop is that many of the preventatives today also include an intestinal parasite control for roundworms, whipworms, or tapeworms. You want your dog to be protected against those at all times.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
We've had as many ticks just crawling in our house and on our family as we've seen on our cat. He's an indoor cat but sneaks out once in awhile and soaks up the sun on the deck of under the swingset. I find ticks regularly in our house and found one on myself for the first time 3weeks ago. I got him off, but the area is still itchy and raised. My kids have had several in our 3 years here and we dont go into wooded areas, just the backyard, which is tree-lined. We use frontline on our cat, but unsure if it is working. HE's got long brown thick fur so finding ticks on him is impossible.
I'd love to know how to keep the ticks out of the house!

Old 07-08-2015, 08:24 AM

I don't have ticks in the house unless the dog brings them in. They aren't attracted to houses so you or your cat must be walking through a tick-y area.

I give heartworm pills year round. I have seen mosquitos in January here, too. If we get a stretch of warm days they can hatch out.

Old 07-08-2015, 08:37 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Heartworms in Dogs: Facts and Myths
Q: Can I skip giving my dog his preventative during colder months, when there aren’t any mosquitoes?
A: The American Heartworm Society recommends year-round heartworm prevention. One reason is, there’s already a serious problem with people forgetting to give their dogs the heartworm preventatives. It’s a universal problem. Now if you use it year-round, and you miss a month, your dog will probably still be protected. But if you miss more than one or two months your dog could become infected.
The other reason not to stop is that many of the preventatives today also include an intestinal parasite control for roundworms, whipworms, or tapeworms. You want your dog to be protected against those at all times.
Read between the lines.

Their reasoning to give year round treatment (preventative is the wrong word, there is no prevention except preventing your dog from getting bitten) is because people will forget...

Old 07-08-2015, 08:40 AM

Again, I've seen mosquitos in December and January. If we get a warm spell they will hatch out. In other climates it's unnecessary in the winter, but I have seen ticks and mosquitos in January here in the Triangle. A couple of years ago my spouse had a tick attached to his leg in Jan.

http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/poeight/bl...theyre-biting/
Quote:
How long does “mosquito season” typically last? Mosquito season in N.C. lasts until late January. Activity is reduced after continuous temperatures below 50 Degrees F, but many mosquitoes can resume biting if the daytime temperatures rise above that.
http://falconbridgeanimal.com/wp-con...l-1-Iss-10.doc
Quote:
Many people that move to North Carolina are not aware that heartworms can potentially be contracted year-round. People that move here from colder climates either are not aware of heartworms at all or do not realize that because of our warmer climate mosquitoes can spread heartworms even during the winter months. Conversely, people that move to North Carolina from warmer climates often feel that we have cold winters so mosquitoes must not be a problem. The truth is that in North Carolina the temperature fluctuates often, which allows mosquitoes to live and reproduce even during the coldest months of the year.

Last edited by poppydog; 07-08-2015 at 08:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary