Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:09 AM

633 posts, read 1,164,990 times

Advertisements

I just moved here last month after living and working in NYC, all 4 boroughs (except for the Bronx)...my entire life. My fears on moving are like yours. First off, we moved to Wake Forest and we live in a very desirable subdivision. People here are friendly, as soon as we moved in every night I had a different neighbor at my door with food and stuff to welcome us. We have acres of walking trails that are gorgeous and a beautiful pond. People here walk, there are very fit men and women walking all over my subdivision. When you go outside you see and talk to your neighbors. My kids school is 3 minutes door to door and the supermarket is too. Everything is close. It's not Manhattan, it's not Brooklyn or Queens. It's just different. My kids are in middle school and adjusted immediately. Theresearch e wry kind of spirt here! The food is different, thetes no pork store to run in and get a Sicilian Rice ball and broccoli rabe,but we knew and expected that before moving here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, you can PM me! Good luck to you and your family. By the way, I have over a 3000 sq ft house. With 2 central a/c units and we had it running 24/7 when we got down here and our bill was 128....Lmao. what would Con Ed charge for that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
I just moved here last month after living and working in NYC, all 4 boroughs (except for the Bronx)...my entire life. My fears on moving are like yours. First off, we moved to Wake Forest and we live in a very desirable subdivision. People here are friendly, as soon as we moved in every night I had a different neighbor at my door with food and stuff to welcome us. We have acres of walking trails that are gorgeous and a beautiful pond. People here walk, there are very fit men and women walking all over my subdivision. When you go outside you see and talk to your neighbors. My kids school is 3 minutes door to door and the supermarket is too. Everything is close. It's not Manhattan, it's not Brooklyn or Queens. It's just different. My kids are in middle school and adjusted immediately. Theresearch e wry kind of spirt here! The food is different, thetes no pork store to run in and get a Sicilian Rice ball and broccoli rabe,but we knew and expected that before moving here. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have, you can PM me! Good luck to you and your family. By the way, I have over a 3000 sq ft house. With 2 central a/c units and we had it running 24/7 when we got down here and our bill was 128....Lmao. what would Con Ed charge for that ?

You finally made it!!!!

Old 09-28-2015, 03:59 PM

44 posts, read 52,703 times
@Hazellect this is great to hear. We are pretty sure we are going to make the move next summer after the kids get out of school. We'll relocate and rent for a year before we buy just to be sure. The quality of life is just so much better than here. I'll always be a New Yorker but I can do that anywhere. :-) I'll keep you all posted on our progress and may be asking about good rental options. I have a buddy that's in a subdivision in Cary that is really cool and should have it's own mini commerce section by that time. This could be huge for just walking across the street to pick up a few items.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 AM

Wanted to drop a quick note to update this thread. We moved to Cary back in January and we love it. We're in West Cary and the kids have settled into their new school and are thriving. My wife and I both work from home so we are not as social as we used to be but that will likely change soon as we meet more people. Our neighborhood isn't all that outgoing. People tend to keep to themselves. The traffic is a delight here compared to NYC and we've been pleasantly surprised with the quality and diversity of food. We've been to a number of Mediterranean, Latin, and Asian please - all, for the most part, high quality and reasonably priced.

One of the things that has been an adjustment, and a welcome adjustment at that, is that people make eye contact and smile at you when you are out and about. While at stores people have a moment to chat with you since nobody is in a mad rush to do something they regard as the most important thing on the planet. Lines are much shorter than we are used to but move a little slower because of it. We're great with that.

We've put the kids into some activities they like and have been looking for more. That's been a bit of a challenge since we don't know all of the right sites to look at to stay in the know. Slowly but surely we are figuring that out.

Paying for gas, electric, water, sewer, AND garbage removal is something new to us but it's not terribly expensive. The amount of space we have in our "little" 2400 square foot townhouse is overwhelming but we're getting use to that. :-) We're going to rent this place for a year or so before we buy. We have been exploring different areas with that thought in mind. So much being built it's hard to keep up.

The weather is a bit of an adjustment: chilly in the mornings and late evenings but by 10AM it's time to shed the sweatshirt because it's about to get hot. It cooling down at night is a nice feature though and I suspect this summer will be very warm during the day but the nights will be nice.

An interesting thing we noticed is that we a) don't throw out food anymore and b) our food bill has gone down. The former is a combo of us having better space to access the food in the refrigerator (much bigger than we are used to) and the fact that the food stays fresh longer. This is likely because it's not traveling as far and sitting out on a loading dock while the market has to find a place to put it. The added space makes everything work better.

I've not heard a single siren, car horn, or person raise their voice in anger since I've been here - which is one of my favorite things so far. It's quiet and peaceful and clean and pleasant. I've been out in Raleigh a few times with the guys for drinks and there's stuff to do for sure. More than enough for me to get my happy hour fix when I need it. The thing is, I don't need it as much. In the past three months I've been out 3 times and never get antsy to go out more. I attribute it to living in a place I enjoy and don't feel like I need to get out of the shoebox which was our old apartment.

So far, so great. Very little concessions have been made by us other than we've given up on pizza and bagels down here but that's fine. We'll get our fill when we visit family up north. The upsides certainly far outweigh the downsides and I can safely say that this is one of the smartest things we've done as a family.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:44 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickhealy View Post
... we've given up on pizza ....

"One of the worst catastrophes! ... Oh, the humanity!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F54rqDh2mWA

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 AM

51 posts, read 48,482 times
We moved here in August from New England and after seeing the various areas, I would recommend Cary for you - and it's closer to downtown Raleigh and Durham.

Old 05-05-2018, 10:48 AM

LOL Mike!

KitKat, Cary is nice and this is where we'll likely buy however we want to definitely explore all options. Schools are paramount so that narrows things down a bit but everything around here seems to be very nice and who knows where that next great neighborhood will pop up?

Old 05-05-2018, 09:29 PM

598 posts, read 333,258 times
Quote:
The weather is a bit of an adjustment: chilly in the mornings and late evenings but by 10AM it's time to shed the sweatshirt because it's about to get hot. It cooling down at night is a nice feature though and I suspect this summer will be very warm during the day but the nights will be nice.
Once the real summer weather kicks in, there isn't much relief from the humidity from about June until October. Glad you're enjoying the area so far. We just moved down here from the NYC area at the end of 2016 and enjoy it very much overall.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:00 AM

There are so few downsides to this move that I'm mad at myself for not pushing harder for it years ago. The biggest thing is the lack of certain types of food but we'll get our fix when we go back to visit friends and family. Anything else is so minor that it's not worth mentioning.

I'm a little anxious about the first full summer we'll be here but we got here in mid January and it's been fantastic weather since we've been here. We've been here in the summer but only for a week or so at a time so this will be a true test of our endurance of the heat/humidity. I'm sure we'll be fine. We've got central air. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary