Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 06:18 AM

510 posts, read 901,809 times

Advertisements

I would just like to state a few facts--not opinions--just because it is obvious some people cannot take a few minutes of their time to read the NC bicycle and pedestrian law. The link has been posted on this thread and on this forum numerous times. Page 19 has the responsibilities of the motorists. I have posted the link at the bottom.

under NC law bicycles are considered vehicles

there are instances where a motorist can be left of center of a highway

by reading the laws you can clearly see if the motorist cannot safely pass by the 2 foot minimum than you should not pass.

A motorist overtaking a bicycle must pass at least two
(2) feet to the left of the bicyclist and must not move
back to the right side of the highway until safely past
the overtaken bicycle.

A motorist may not drive left of the center of

the highway to pass a vehicle, including a bicycle, in
these circumstances:
Unless the left side is clearly visible and free of
oncoming traffic for a sufficient distance ahead
that the motorist can pass the bicyclist safely.
[§20-150(a)]
• On the crest of a hill or at a curve in the road
where the driver cannot see at least 500 feet
ahead. [§20-150(b)]
• At any railroad grade crossing or intersection,
unless directed to do so by a traffic control
officer. [§20-150(c)]
• Where the Department of Transportation has
placed signs or markers indicating that passing
should not be attempted.

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...ebook-full.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,425,800 times
Some people just loose it, and see how many they can take out.
Attached Thumbnails
Cyclists in N. Raleigh-cycylists.png  

Old 08-16-2015, 07:07 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Some people just loose it, and see how many they can take out.
And some people will never win a spelling bee. Sorry to call it out,but I've seen it on here almost everyday this week.

Lose/loose 2 different words with 2 different meanings.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:29 AM

310 posts, read 575,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
And some people will never win a spelling bee. Sorry to call it out,but I've seen it on here almost everyday this week.

Lose/loose 2 different words with 2 different meanings.
There are bigger issues then this, like people with stuff for sell.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:32 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,584,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
And we thought you were being sarcastic about hitting a cyclist or running them off the road with your vehicle. I hope that if you do put someone in the ditch that this thread comes up and they change the charge from vehicular manslaughter to murder 1, since there is evidence it is premeditated....

Show me where I posted I was going to run someone off the road or worse hit them.

Again, I'm not a lunatic. But my point is with holy grail attitudes such as the one you demonstrate I will now have even less tolerance for you idiots riding in the middle of the road. Am I going to run someone off the road? Of course not. What's bad is I demonstrate a lot more courtesy towards people on the street whether it's a cyclist, pedestrian, scooter, or whatever than most of the other drivers. That is until I run up on you riding in the middle of the road with your entitlement attitude. From now on I'll just drive like everyone else when I pass a cyclist by not slowing down and blowing past with only 2 ft to spare.

Congrats on being the bad apple.

Last edited by underPSI; 08-16-2015 at 07:40 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Show me where I posted I was going to run someone off the road or worse hit them. (1)

Again, I'm not a lunatic. But my point is with holy grail attitudes such as the one you demonstrate I will now have even less tolerance for you idiots riding in the middle of the road. Am I going to run someone off the road? Of course not. What's bad is I demonstrate a lot more courtesy towards people on the street whether it's a cyclist, pedestrian, scooter, or whatever than most of the other drivers. That is until I run up on you riding in the middle of the road with your entitlement attitude. From now on I'll just drive like everyone else when I pass a cyclist by not slowing down and blowing past with only 2 ft to spare. (2)

Your post that I quoted mocked the idea of sharing the road, wished cyclists luck, and said that they'll need nobbies. What conclusion was I supposed to draw? (1)

Quote:
Oh so you really weren't being sarcastic? LoL!

Yeah, now I really want to "share the road". Good luck, bicyclists. Hope your road bike has nobbies.
And again, I challenge you to find anywhere where i said I feel entitled to take the middle of the road, other than a short distance where it was unsafe not to do so (I gave specific examples). Really, you keep posting stuff implying how you'll take out your aggression on cyclists and then denying it, and you also keep making stuff up about what I say. I've said more times than I can count that I take very big issue with the cyclists who are the bad apples. (And I've gone as far as to stop what I was doing, and to tell them so. Usually I'm met with something less than a thank you for the advice.)

Now again, please tell me what I was supposed to conclude from what you said earlier (1), or from your quote above (bolded part) (2), and then go quote something I said in context where I've shown an attitude of entitlement, or showed I was a bad apple. Don't make sh/t up, actally quote me. Please.

Last edited by Myghost; 08-16-2015 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,312,275 times
Quote:
From now on I'll just drive like everyone else when I pass a cyclist by not slowing down and blowing past with only 2 ft to spare.

And I'll just add that the HUGE majority of drivers don't drive like that. In over 12,000 miles of cycling on the road, I've only had a few experiences of aggression like the kind you are so proud to brag about. I've found that you get what you give, and I give respect, and by a huge margin, I am glad to say I get it back too.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 AM

632 posts, read 1,845,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvncresident04 View Post

A motorist may not drive left of the center of[/font]
these circumstances:
• Unless the left side is clearly visible and free of
[§20-150(a)]
ahead. [§20-150(b)]
officer. [§20-150(c)]
should not be attempted.

http://www.ncdot.gov/bikeped/downloa...ebook-full.pdf
It seems most of Six Forks / New Light Rd. is double-yellow lines. If we adhered strictly to this, I'd likely never get past a biker.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:09 AM

510 posts, read 901,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
It seems most of Six Forks / New Light Rd. is double-yellow lines. If we adhered strictly to this, I'd likely never get past a biker.

you can cross the double yellow when there is no one coming from the other direction and you can see ahead. If you click on the link it takes you to the entire handbook. It explains it better than the few excerpts I pulled from it.

A motorist may not drive left of the center of

these circumstances:
• Unless the left side is clearly visible and free of

[§20-150(a)]
ahead. [§20-150(b)]
officer. [§20-150(c)]

Old 08-16-2015, 11:29 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,629,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCats View Post
There are some stretches on New Light where you'd have to stay slow for a cyclist for quite a ways before you'd be able to safely pass. Much worse than Six Forks where I was almost in an accident caused by a cyclist.

Imo, cycling should be outlawed on any road that has a speed limit over 35 mph until dedicated bike lanes can be added. It's one thing if cyclist want to endanger their own lives, but quite another when they endanger motorist lives on roads that were designed for cars and trucks.

Btw, I really liked your other post. You said what most motorist are thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary