Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 4,668 times

Advertisements

Apparently there were only 40 spaces allocated to juniors this school year. Seniors were guaranteed a spot. Another 20 will be available after Town of Cary completes construction at the tennis park behind campus. Anyone else have this problem at local high schools? Panther Creek? Cary? New Friendship? Spaces were issued by lottery and unfortunately our child did not receive one. Heard a rumor that spaces were removed a few years ago to accommodate bus parking which is a source of revenue for Green Hope. Not sure if this is true. Sorry if this sounds petty based on other problems associated with public school system, but it's causing a hassle due to after school employment. Just curious how other high schools student parking operates. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 PM

162 posts, read 213,087 times
I remember parking spots being at a premium many, many years ago when I was in school.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,381 times
When I was in high school at WCPSS (a bit ago...) I believe it was a similar situation. Seniors were guaranteed a space if they requested one, but juniors were on a lottery system. IIRC, that system changed a few times over the years too (everyone on a lottery, lottery by GPA, etc) so it seems to depend on the school and their available parking and how they figure out to allocate it. I also remember there was some sort of small fee and a waiver/contract thing both students and parents had to sign if they got a permit to park at the school.

Also though, the bit about "spaces were removed a few years ago to accommodate bus parking which is a source of revenue for Green Hope" doesn't make a lick of sense to me. How in the heck would the school make $ off bus parking? I could be missing something big but this seems like a strange reason....

Old 08-25-2015, 01:02 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
My school had the same issues back in 92. Students that didn't have the money or couldn't get a space just parked relatively close to the school and walked. Not sure of your school set up but would that be an option,albeit not a convenient one?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semihandyman View Post
Apparently there were only 40 spaces allocated to juniors this school year. Seniors were guaranteed a spot. Another 20 will be available after Town of Cary completes construction at the tennis park behind campus. Anyone else have this problem at local high schools? Panther Creek? Cary? New Friendship? Spaces were issued by lottery and unfortunately our child did not receive one. Heard a rumor that spaces were removed a few years ago to accommodate bus parking which is a source of revenue for Green Hope. Not sure if this is true. Sorry if this sounds petty based on other problems associated with public school system, but it's causing a hassle due to after school employment. Just curious how other high schools student parking operates. Thanks
Pretty common system the country over. My HS did the same thing, although not in NC. Kids who didn't get a spot would park nearby and walk in. There were local businesses that would allow it, especially if the kids asked in advance.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Good luck finding a nearby spot at Green Hope High. I doubt the tennis center or Heritage Pines will be too happy with kids parking in either location.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:24 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
They already tweeted not to seek parking elsewhere as those propeties are threatening to tow. I guess kids were parking at Carpenter Elementary and walking up. Heritage Pines forget it - if those people are anything like the ones in my parents' over 55 community they'd have your car towed by 7:30 a.m.

But I'm intrigued by the idea of buses parking there being a revenue generator. There are at least 20 buses serving GHHS, is that what you're referring to? That makes no sense.

Why can't your child take the bus? I know it's not cool, but there aren't many high schools around with unlimited parking.

My high school's parking lot was about half the size of any of the local high schools and we didn't have a lottery or any trouble finding spots. I wonder why?

It's only going to get worse there - there are around 500+ seniors, and there are 700 freshmen. Not going to be any guaranteed parking for seniors in 3 years.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:27 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
Graduated in 88 from Enloe. We had a lottery for seniors even. Seems like there were only about a hundred spaces in the lot for over 450 seniors. Of course, there were streets all around we could park on and people did, but best thing is tell your kid to carpool up.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:59 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
My guess is that they lost spaces when they had to reconfigure to add mobile units?

Old 08-25-2015, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 11,250 times
This is not a problem at Cary High. The school parking lot fills up but Cary Swim Club, which is very close by, rents spaces to students. My sophomore daughter actually got a space there April-June last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary