Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 09:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times

Advertisements

Seeing Raleigh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to have seen the future of Raleigh back then. One only had to look at cities that grew in the same model before us.
As for his foretelling of Glenwood South, I'd be interested in hearing more about that and the specific things that he said.
I'm sure it's funny to some to imagine Raleigh in the seventies struggling with growth issues when the population of the entire county wasn't yet 300,000. I remember those concerns after my family moved to the city in 1974. I guess it's all relative?

Old 09-08-2015, 09:09 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to have seen the future of Raleigh back then.

Agreed. But then why are there so many non-rocket scientists out there who can't see the future of Raleigh past today?

Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Raleigh had serious traffic and school problems in the late 1970's. Millbrook High had at least 24 trailers and the people kept coming.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
I think that it was difficult for many to wrap their heads around just how large Wake's population would become.
It wasn't just roads, it was schools and all sorts of other infrastructure. It's been many years but I remember the story of the person (woman or man?) who was basically run out of town on a rail for suggesting that the county would need X number of schools for a future enrollment number. The associated bond referendum was killed by the naysayers. Well, as one might imagine, the enrollment figures were spot on and the county had to scramble to support all the new students.

Likewise, I'll bet it's difficult for people to wrap their heads around Wake County having 1.5 million or 2 million in the coming decades. In turn, the naysayers will probably do their best to kill public transit as a response to all that future growth.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:03 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
The transportation infrastructure certainly isn't keeping up. I've always wondered what obligation a municipality has to provide for everyone when there's a large influx of people such as we've had. Supposedly, the additional tax revenues are supposed to solve the problem, but that doesn't seem evident when you're stuck in gridlocked traffic. Ideally, the area would grow until a balance between population and quality of life was achieved, but I think we've already sailed past that point.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
we don't have the daily gridlock of DC, ATL, LA, etc.

There are 10,000's of homes near RTP (within 5 miles) now that weren't there before.

but we've got lots of folks who want serious density, which can be done at relatively low municipal cost, but only if it's not in their backyard.

I daresay there are a very reasonable % of residential options ( 1 unit for 3 jobs? maybe) in downtown Raleigh that have been added in the last 15 years, especially in comparison to the jobs located downtown.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:01 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,272,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
The transportation infrastructure certainly isn't keeping up. I've always wondered what obligation a municipality has to provide for everyone when there's a large influx of people such as we've had. Supposedly, the additional tax revenues are supposed to solve the problem, but that doesn't seem evident when you're stuck in gridlocked traffic. Ideally, the area would grow until a balance between population and quality of life was achieved, but I think we've already sailed past that point.
If you look at parts of the country with REAL gridlock traffic, for the most part they are in areas where there is physically no room to make traffic flow improvements or expansion for capacity. Or, you have places like the metro Boston area where you're driving on roads that used to be traveled by horse.

In my opinion (and I'm a newbie), the area seems to be doing a pretty decent job of making infrastructure improvements to keep up with massive growth. The 540 extension(s) are a good example of that, and as people start giving in to the tolls, this will help alleviate traffic on the various other commuting routes.

One thing I love about this area is commuting options. I pull up google maps and my normal commuting route is heavy, I'll take a parallel route. If that route is heavy, I'll take 540 and (gasp) pay the toll. It's extremely nice to have options - many metro areas don't have those options, you have a main artery and when that fills up everything spills to the secondaries and then forget about it.

This area has the unique opportunity of being able plan and learn from mistakes made in other large metro areas in the past. Yes it may cost money, but you can't have your cake and eat it too, right?

Old 09-09-2015, 07:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,327 times
Durham needs to get on board now as they expect 100K more peeps in the next 10-15 years.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM

142 posts, read 175,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Durham needs to get on board now as they expect 100K more peeps in the next 10-15 years.
Can you expand on this post? I am not following. Durham is leading the charge on public transit. Or are you referring to the lack of a loop around the city due to the Eno River environmental concerns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary