Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 11:24 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,726,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I would if the price was good and the furniture was something I wanted. Why not?
Because you're most likely getting some really crappy furniture that's going to fall apart on you in a year. There's truth in the phrase "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 08:39 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm not against a good deal either,BUT very rarely is it actually a good deal. Do you really think that the furniture is made in High Point? It's probably hotel furniture overstock or returned rent to own pieces. Whatever it is ,I can 100% guarantee that your not getting a once in a lifetime deal on quality furnishings. It's cheap stuff that nobody would trek to the store for. They are cashing in on greed and naive consumers. Just like I posted a few months back about the meat guys. Top quality meats,my a$$. More like mechanically separated,sodium water injected horse jerky. Yes you got a bunch of steaks for cheap but guess what, they taste that way too. If you've ever bought one, you know what I mean.

My advice is to stay away from any of those operations. The people that work for them are shady criminals themselves. That's why they don't mind trying to hustle people out of their money. They've been doing it for a long time. Personally I don't want my family or house on their radar. They won't just come back once and they just aren't the kind of people you would want to know anything about the occupants or lay out of your house.
I build my own furniture so I can tell if something is quality made or not. It's as simple as looking it over and determining what I feel the value is. I don't recall a once in a lifetime deal being mentioned.

Buying meat from door to door is just gross

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
Because you're most likely getting some really crappy furniture that's going to fall apart on you in a year. There's truth in the phrase "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is".
See above ^^

Old 09-08-2015, 05:44 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
I build my own furniture so I can tell if something is quality made or not. It's as simple as looking it over and determining what I feel the value is. I don't recall a once in a lifetime deal being mentioned.

Buying meat from door to door is just gross

See above ^^
Personally, I could care less if the furniture is good or crappy, I am not about to jump in the back of an unmarked, slow moving 18 wheeler to check it out. It does not matter how good a deal it might be, this just does not seem like a smart!

Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Personally, I could care less if the furniture is good or crappy, I am not about to jump in the back of an unmarked, slow moving 18 wheeler to check it out. It does not matter how good a deal it might be, this just does not seem like a smart!
Someone apparently has never heard of a place called Terminus. Not herding me into a truck trailer.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
I meet strangers in unfamiliar places for a living which carries a lot of inherent risk as it is. It's nothing out of the ordinary for me. A little common sense will go a long way. I can read people very well, and since these people have a permit with the city I doubt they are going to do anything shady. If they decided to lock me up in the back of a trailer I carry a gun, have a cell phone, and my wife would notice me not coming back. I think I'm pretty well protected It's good to be cautious, but there's a fine line of being cautious and being paranoid.

Old 09-08-2015, 06:55 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
I meet strangers in unfamiliar places for a living which carries a lot of inherent risk as it is. It's nothing out of the ordinary for me. A little common sense will go a long way. I can read people very well, and since these people have a permit with the city I doubt they are going to do anything shady. If they decided to lock me up in the back of a trailer I carry a gun, have a cell phone, and my wife would notice me not coming back. I think I'm pretty well protected It's good to be cautious, but there's a fine line of being cautious and being paranoid.
And I think that what most people are saying here is that it just makes more sense to choose other means of selling/purchasing home furnishings, ergo, slow-moving furniture trucks are going to seem a bit suspect to most consumers.

Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 AM

5,329 posts, read 3,210,678 times
I don't know what city/town you're in but check with city hall. In Holly Springs there are certain codes for solicitors - permitting, times of day, etc. Don't be afraid to call the police if you think something is shady.

I know that this anecdote is night and day but with the population moving here worth being cautious - when I lived in Florida the "door to door" sales men/women were actually scoping out the neighborhood for burglary.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I don't know what city/town you're in but check with city hall. In Holly Springs there are certain codes for solicitors - permitting, times of day, etc. Don't be afraid to call the police if you think something is shady.

I know that this anecdote is night and day but with the population moving here worth being cautious - when I lived in Florida the "door to door" sales men/women were actually scoping out the neighborhood for burglary.
You. That's why we ban all of them even those purporting to represent a church.

We tell them nicely that they cannot contact our residents without being invited and this is because of safety,

Old 09-09-2015, 02:01 PM

121 posts, read 177,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Someone apparently has never heard of a place called Terminus. Not herding me into a truck trailer.

I'm not even going to mention the meat truck.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:43 AM

204 posts, read 383,896 times
Quote:
Anyone else encounter this? 7:30pm a man rings the door bell to explain he is selling furniture from High Point and points to a large unmarked truck which is still running and being slowly driven down the street by someone else. He claims they have a permit and asked if I needed any furniture.
Maybe I am the only one, but I picked up a very nice ottoman in a similar situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary