Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:24 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The problems on Long Island are almost exclusively due to

1. high taxes due to unfunded mandates (civil servant salaries and lifetime Cadillac benefits). This is a problem throughout NY State, but it's worse on LI where people have been brainwashed into believing they actually have a voice with the school budget votes.

2. The fact that it's an ISLAND - which means no manufacturing operations don't want to set up shop there because of the exorbitant cost of shipping.

YOU NEED TO STOP HIJACKING THREADS AND BRINGING THEM BACK TO YOUR OWN TIRED SONG. YOU ARE ALWAYS ASKING WHY PEOPLE DON'T "STAY AND FIGHT" WHEN THEY WANT TO DO WHAT YOU DID. WHY DON'T YOU DO SOMETHING ABOUT WHAT YOU PERCEIVE TO BE THE PROBLEMS HERE?! YES I AM SHOUTING AT YOU.
LI had 2 big airplane factories that bailed, Republic and Grumman. They employed so many workers, the railroad had special stations serving each plant.

Their problem was the gentrification which is beginning to raise its ugly face here.

I am not hijacking the thread. The thread just points out how good areas will be turned to crap by the influx of too many people wanting what they had before and thinking they will not create a tax monster by doing so.

I will vote for a slow growth policy and really like Mr. Trump who wants to help save the middle class.

Last edited by saturnfan; 09-14-2015 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
LI had 2 big airplane factories that bailed.

Their problem was the gentrification which is beginning to raise its ugly face here.
Gruman is the manufacturer you are referring to and when the cold war ended in the 90's their defense contacts were reduced so they began to shrink operations. This had NOTHING to do with gentrification!

Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
Quote:
LI had 2 big airplane factories that bailed, Republic and Grumman. They employed so many workers, the railroad had special stations serving each plant.

I am not hijacking the thread. The thread just points out how good areas will be turned to crap by the influx of too many people wanting what they had before and thinking they will not create a tax monster by doing so.

I will vote for a slow growth policy and really like Mr. Trump who wants to help save the middle class.
You have to to be kidding me with this. First, why are we even bringing presidential politics into this thread and how can you possibly beleive Trump is for anything other than boosting up his own ego.

It is hijacking the thread when someone is asking about traffic on a specific day and time and others have delivered almost certainly correct explanations for it and then someone who lives 30 miles away in the hell that is Capital Blvd starts talking about the whole area like its the same.

Let me tell you, Crapital was just as crappy 35-40 years ago while you were living on Long Island. In fact, when my future wife and her parents moved down here 22 years ago from LI, the first thing they noticed in doing the easiest of research is that it reminded them of everything that they wanted to get away from. Too bad you didn't do the same thing or you might be way happier. Though something tells me that that's never possible.

Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Traffic in Apex is bad (relatively speaking). Is there any schedule for completing the peakway?

Old 09-14-2015, 07:00 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Imma voting for "A Pizza in Every Pot."

Old 09-14-2015, 08:43 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
You have to to be kidding me with this. First, why are we even bringing presidential politics into this thread and how can you possibly beleive Trump is for anything other than boosting up his own ego.

It is hijacking the thread when someone is asking about traffic on a specific day and time and others have delivered almost certainly correct explanations for it and then someone who lives 30 miles away in the hell that is Capital Blvd starts talking about the whole area like its the same.

Let me tell you, Crapital was just as crappy 35-40 years ago while you were living on Long Island. In fact, when my future wife and her parents moved down here 22 years ago from LI, the first thing they noticed in doing the easiest of research is that it reminded them of everything that they wanted to get away from. Too bad you didn't do the same thing or you might be way happier. Though something tells me that that's never possible.
I like Capital and live on it but despise places line Cary and Wakefield that prohibit signs to help you find a business. Gentrification.

What i hate is the infrastructure demands created by businesses and developers who do not pay for the items they require like roads, schools, utilities, etc. letting all taxpayers bear their burden.

In the rural counties, good jobs are needed. This area does not need to become a Southern Silicon Valley where all the neat little towns are converted to giant cookie-cutter communities and middle class families are priced out.

We need all of these NY/NJ transplants about as much as we need a bedbug epidemic.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:46 AM

Imma votin' for Mark Cuban, because he will build relationships with the middle class in Havana.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:35 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Quote:
I like Capital and live on it but despise places line Cary and Wakefield that prohibit signs to help you find a business. Gentrification.

What i hate is the infrastructure demands created by businesses and developers who do not pay for the items they require like roads, schools, utilities, etc. letting all taxpayers bear their burden.

In the rural counties, good jobs are needed. This area does not need to become a Southern Silicon Valley where all the neat little towns are converted to giant cookie-cutter communities and middle class families are priced out.

We need all of these NY/NJ transplants about as much as we need a bedbug epidemic.
"What you hate" seems to be just about everything.

Doesn't that get tiring?

I get exhausted just reading your nonstop litany of "the sky is falling".

Tell me again about how great it was to live in a rent controlled apartment in NYC 30 years ago while I enjoy this beautiful day.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:37 AM

Imma votin' for Chicken Little, as a "Falling Sky" savior for the middle class.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:37 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,425,505 times
Quote:

You ARE these NY/NJ transplants!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary