Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM

230 posts, read 255,750 times

Advertisements

I should clarify, I did not include gas and groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 07:18 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_bcn View Post
There is no comparison , I live in Europe and my expenses are in euros, for that reason I'm looking for comments/information from locals. Here We have a different health system mostly free, and car insurance is not that expensive. I have not idea, but I read a article which says that average family's expenses for Raleigh is $ 3.500 monthly...
So are you retired, or will you be working? Will you own a car? Will you have a car payment? Any debt? You need to provide far more details in order to get any helpful, meaningful information.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:36 AM

12 posts, read 12,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
Yes, definitely. I assumed mortgage and/or rent was included. Our monthly expenses are just over 1500. We are a married couple with a toddler and own a house in a sought-after location. The only debts we have besides mortgage is my student loans.
Really? What location?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
So are you retired, or will you be working? Will you own a car? Will you have a car payment? Any debt? You need to provide far more details in order to get any helpful, meaningful information.
We'll be working (Software Engineer and Graphic Designer, 40's) It seems that at least one car would be necessary (public transportation is very limited I think), no debts, just the expenses of living there. Our lifestyle is very healthy without excesses ; healthy food (vegan), sports (outdoor, running, gym), occasionally movies, theater and restaurant but mostly at home.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:06 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Here is my general estimate for basic living expenses for a couple in this area:

Apartment (1-2BR): $900-$1300
Utilities (gas/water/electric): $150-$200
Food: $300-$400
Health insurance through work (no dental): $300-$400
Extra health costs (copays, dental, etc.): $100
Internet/Cable (optional landline phone): $100-$150
Cell Phones for two: $100-$150
Gasoline (varies widely depending on circumstances): $100-$200
Car Insurance (for two cars): $100-$125
Personal Property tax on cars: $50
Clothing: $100
Entertainment (assuming doing mostly free and frugal things): $100
Gifts/Misc: $100

This does not include any income taxes, travel, or savings. And obviously, expenses vary greatly depending on how far from jobs you live, what your health needs are, the types of cars you drive, how you eat, etc. But this can be a starting point. I don't *think* I've left out any major expenses.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:07 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I agree. And if you are employed, will health insurance be paid by employer for your entire family? In the US, that expense can be huge. Will you need one car or two - public transit is not great around here.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fscottfitz View Post
I should clarify, I did not include gas and groceries.
OK! ...gas and groceries would be like $ 600 approx?

Old 09-21-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Here is my general estimate for basic living expenses for a couple in this area:

Apartment (1-2BR): $900-$1300
Utilities (gas/water/electric): $150-$200
Food: $300-$400
Health insurance through work (no dental): $300-$400
Extra health costs (copays, dental, etc.): $100
Internet/Cable (optional landline phone): $100-$150
Cell Phones for two: $100-$150
Gasoline (varies widely depending on circumstances): $100-$200
Car Insurance (for two cars): $100-$125
Personal Property tax on cars: $50
Clothing: $100
Entertainment (assuming doing mostly free and frugal things): $100
Gifts/Misc: $100

This does not include any income taxes, travel, or savings. And obviously, expenses vary greatly depending on how far from jobs you live, what your health needs are, the types of cars you drive, how you eat, etc. But this can be a starting point. I don't *think* I've left out any major expenses.
Wow thanks! I hadn't found such a detailed list of expenses.. very helpful

Old 09-21-2015, 08:21 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Quote:
There is no comparison , I live in Europe and my expenses are in euros, for that reason I'm looking for comments/information from locals. Here We have a different health system mostly free, and car insurance is not that expensive. I have not idea, but I read a article which says that average family's expenses for Raleigh is $ 3.500 monthly...
Quote:
Really? What location?
It can be accomplished in most parts of the triangle. Its a question of what you want and where. The short answer to your question is yes, of course, but that assumes that you don't have a payment on a new Porsche and expect a 4000 sf home.

To answer the health insurance question, are you moving here for work? If yes, then your employer will be providing health insurance (that you will pay for as well.) I would ask HR to see a sample pay stub with your health insurance taken out of it. That will give you a solid number to work with. You can get a rough idea on car insurance by going to Progressive or Geico online and getting quotes based on a zip code. Use your work's zip code.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It can be accomplished in most parts of the triangle. Its a question of what you want and where. The short answer to your question is yes, of course, but that assumes that you don't have a payment on a new Porsche and expect a 4000 sf home.

To answer the health insurance question, are you moving here for work? If yes, then your employer will be providing health insurance (that you will pay for as well.) I would ask HR to see a sample pay stub with your health insurance taken out of it. That will give you a solid number to work with. You can get a rough idea on car insurance by going to Progressive or Geico online and getting quotes based on a zip code. Use your work's zip code.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: