Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 04:03 PM

23 posts, read 28,209 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post ever on city-data, but I have been reading several threads and thought I would post my own. Life in San Diego has continued to become a struggle for my husband and I. We are close to 30 years old, and are born and raised San Diegans, but we both work in the fitness industry (I am a Pilates instructor, he is a volleyball coach and personal trainer). The median income in San Diego is strangely the same as in the Triangle area, yet cost of living is so much higher! At this point, we can barely afford a 1 bedroom apartment for $1,100 not even near downtown San Diego. It's time to find someplace where we can raise our future children, live comfortably and be able to remain in the careers we love instead of working in corporate just to get by.

I have a few questions I suppose...in the Raleigh area, what neighborhoods are family friendly with home prices near the 150k price range? I have a friend in Morrisville and another in Durham. Morrisville seems a little above our price point. What we will most likely do is rent for 6 months before buying, but I am curious of the perspectives of people living in the city. Also, what are typical HOAs like there? Here in San Diego, HOAs average $350 which makes even buying a condo ridiculous.

Are there any others who have moved from California to the area, and how have you been liking it?

I don't think we would miss the beach since we go about 4 times a year anyway. We would love to live in a neighborhood near the Greenway so we can walk the dog and future kids etc. I hope my post isn't rambling, I think my thoughts are all over, but anyone with advice is appreciated! If you need more info to give a solid answer, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 04:45 PM

142 posts, read 175,933 times
I go to San Diego often for work and love it there but won't move due to the costs.

What activities do you enjoy in your free time? Mainly outdoor stuff? Are restaurants and bars your thing? Etc.

Your plan to rent for 6 months is solid and I'd highly recommend that. If you do go the six months rental route consider near Southpoint Mall or Briar Creek as they are centrally located in the Triangle. (American Tobacco Trail runs through Southpoint Mall BTW) Or renting 6 months in either downtown could help you get familiar with the area.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:00 PM

@BullCityEric We also LOVE San Diego and it saddens us to leave, but in our fields there is really no way to make a good enough living (We make 60-80k a year) and could make the same in most other places.

We love outdoors activities on water (kayaking, paddleboarding, swimming) hiking, being able to take our dog hiking and walking (are there off leash areas in or near Raleigh?). We are also big into the craft beer scene here in San Diego and I noticed there are quite a few micro breweries there, which interests us. Other than that we like the usual movies, having some diversity in food (we know the mexican food won't be the same but look forward to carolina BBQ!). We would like to be somewhere walkable for when we have kids, but also near parks. The first home we buy there is intended to be a starter for 5-10 years before we get something bigger. I will check into Southpoint Mall and Briar Creek areas. Thanks for the quick response!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:43 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
there aren't a lot of off-leash areas in the Triangle.

we have food diversity, but as a less diverse area than CA/SoCal, we're definitely not going to have the SAME level of it.

single-family HOA's typically don't exceed $600 a year, if they're that high.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

we have food diversity, but as a less diverse area than CA/SoCal, we're definitely not going to have the SAME level of it.

Thanks! I am excited about the HOAs. People in San Diego get excited when they can find HOAs around $150/month but then there is usually other fees as well. We will miss Mexican street tacos but could definitely get into some BBQ!

Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 PM

142 posts, read 175,933 times
You may not believe this when I say it (and people on this board that haven't been there will deny it too)... But the Mexican taquerias on Roxboro Rd in Durham were better than any Mexican food I've had in San Diego (I realize I may be missing some hidden gems in SD. I also realize SD borders Mexico so I am sure I've missed places.) ... The tortillas are soft corn and handmade daily and you can get real authentic tacos like pastor. They do not have any ground beef or cheese or other American crap. You top your own with cilantro, radish, pickled vegetables, homemade fresh salsa, etc. Also, they don't speak English so typically you order in Spanish. Los Comales is my favorite but they just recently changed names.

That said, the standard Mexican food places around the Triangle are complete crap unless you want ground beef.

I'll put it another way, there have been two New York Times articles recently that specifically mention, recommend, and praise Roxboro Rd taquerias.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:46 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Not to be Debbie Downer,but have you checked the average earnings for those in your field here. Those just around like larger salaries then what I'd assume the majority of fitness instructors make here. I may be wrong but it's definitely something worth checking out if you haven't.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Not to be Debbie Downer,but have you checked the average earnings for those in your field here. Those just around like larger salaries then what I'd assume the majority of fitness instructors make here. I may be wrong but it's definitely something worth checking out if you haven't.
I have contacted a few Pilates studios there and they pay much better than I make in San Diego. It's a 50/50 split for the cost of the class (closer to $15/client) and in San Diego I make $3-$5/client.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:47 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Wow..would trade cities with you in a heartbeat......Please seriously visit first.....Talk about some serious culture shock.... and you will considerably be bored out your mind....Just saying.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:40 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie214 View Post
I have contacted a few Pilates studios there and they pay much better than I make in San Diego. It's a 50/50 split for the cost of the class (closer to $15/client) and in San Diego I make $3-$5/client.
Nevertheless it would be wise to do a reality check and visit before committing. I can also tell you that NC (and the East coast in general) does not have the same fitness culture that California does. Despite the higher cost of living, my gym memberships in SoCal cost less and offer far more in terms of equipment than they do in Raleigh.

Huge culture difference as well, as Westcoastbabe alluded to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary