Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
2)In left turn lanes that allow a left turn on a solid green light, very few people pull into the intersection while waiting to make their turn which doesn't allow for anyone to get through on the yellow light. If I had a dollar for every time someone sat behind the white line while the light was green and then the light turned yellow and red without anyone having gotten through I would probably be able to put a nice down payment on a new vehicle. Some contend that it is illegal to cross the white line while yielding to oncoming traffic and waiting to turn, but I have searched and been unable to find the statute which states as such and furthermore knew a person who received a ticket in Chicago for not doing this as it "impeded the flow of traffic."
You're only supposed to enter an intersection if you know you can clear it in one movement - no stopping inside the intersection because if the street you're turning left on to is backed up and you can't complete the movement then you're stuck and obstructing the cross traffic. It's not specifically about left turns, so that may be why your searches aren't turning anything up. It's generally about obstructing flow through an intersection. For example, the same law applies if you're turning right and the street you're turning on to is backed up because then the people crossing the intersection from the opposite way couldn't get by.

Additionally, if you're sitting out there in the intersection when the light turns red because there wasn't a break in traffic, you're then forced to turn on red, which is illegal so....

I'm looking for the statute...I used to know where it was...hold please.

Edit: Found it!

§ 20-142.5. Stop when traffic obstructed.
No driver shall enter an intersection or a marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk, or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle he is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians, or railroad trains, notwithstanding the indication of any traffic control signal to proceed. Any person who violates any provision of this section shall be guilty of an infraction and punished in accordance with G.S. 20-176. Violation of this section shall not constitute negligence per se."

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...atute=20-142.5

Last edited by StAndroid; 10-12-2015 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary