Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:50 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,988,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
News outlets don't name storms, the National Weather Service does.
The World Meteorological Organization controls naming of tropical storms. The recent trend of naming winter storms was started by The Weather Channel, and the NWS has been careful not to use these names, as they are not official.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
There is also a difference between watching the news and becoming informed via other methods. Just because you don't turn the TV on at 6 or 11 to ingest the TV version, doesn't mean you are not informed. Also, given social media and the internet, you may know about your topic of interest (with information from multiple sources) than if you wait for the "inefficient" tv broadcast (where you need to wait through commercials and other topics which may not interest you).
Perhaps you are right, but to me, the statement " I stopped watching the news", without any qualifying information means "I no longer pay any attention to whats going on in the world". That may or may not be what the poster meant.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:33 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,728 times
Quote:
I think they were referring to winter storms. For the past two winters, The Weather Channel has decided to name winter storms for some dumb reason.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...-mean-20140929

Talk about hype.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:07 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,380,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I think they were referring to winter storms. For the past two winters, The Weather Channel has decided to name winter storms for some dumb reason.

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...-mean-20140929

Talk about hype.
Naming winter storms is kind of dumb, so that makes sense.

Regarding naming tropical storms, hurricanes, etc, I actually think it's easier for reference with names. Rather than, "That hurricane that hit in, what was it? 1995? 1994?"

Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,077,583 times
The Weather Channel ticked some folks off with that idea. Some insurance policies have less coverage for damages caused by "named" storms and while many policies mentioned the NWS/WMO as the naming agency apparently some policies were silent on this point. Needless to say there was some concern among those policyholders on how winter "named" storms would fare in terms of coverage.

Frank

Old 10-05-2015, 08:22 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Oh, the irony!
Yep so much irony. Because news outlets have crews sitting outside Britts getting up to the second coverage Simple question that demanded a simple answer. Maybe complicated for some though. While I do care for Britts, I was more curious which areas of Carolina Beach were affected. I use the boardwalk as my reference point, and I have friends with property nearby.

Last edited by Bpobill; 10-05-2015 at 08:33 PM..

Old 10-05-2015, 08:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,422,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Perhaps you are right, but to me, the statement " I stopped watching the news", without any qualifying information means "I no longer pay any attention to whats going on in the world". That may or may not be what the poster meant.
Let me be clear since this is a tough subject for you. I do not sit in front of my TV and let people jam negativity and fear down my throat. If I need an update I use an app that gives me brief info about the facts of what's going on. I couldn't even stand the weather channel site because of the stupid auto playing videos. I followed Hurricane Joaquin fairly well, but not from your typical media outlets. When I want news I just want the facts without fear mongering, or blowing stuff out of proportion. Make sense??

Quote:
Really? Because I see winter storms being named the last couple of years. They want it to trend like "superstorm Sandy" and get more eyeballs. It's really stupid.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Yep so much irony. Because news outlets have crews sitting outside Britts getting up to the second coverage Simple question that demanded a simple answer. Maybe complicated for some though. While I do care for Britts, I was more curious which areas of Carolina Beach were affected. I use the boardwalk as my reference point, and I have friends with property nearby.
Then ask your friends!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Let me be clear since this is a tough subject for you. I do not sit in front of my TV and let people jam negativity and fear down my throat. If I need an update I use an app that gives me brief info about the facts of what's going on. I couldn't even stand the weather channel site because of the stupid auto playing videos. I followed Hurricane Joaquin fairly well, but not from your typical media outlets. When I want news I just want the facts without fear mongering, or blowing stuff out of proportion. Make sense??
Drop the nasty snark. And no media outlet can "jam fear and negativity down your throat" unless you let them. You're as overly dramatic as pre-teen girl. Sheesh.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:50 AM

9,144 posts, read 14,762,210 times
I will have to say, and it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine, why do news crews from this area need to send a reporter down to Columbia? WRAL sent one down and they came across at least one washed out road and had to change route, then while in the city almost got caught up in a flash flood from a dam collapse and who knows what else. Surely the local stations can supply a reporter's report to them. It seems like it's just adding to a bad situation down there and while it's close, it's not their coverage area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary