Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 10:10 AM

84 posts, read 85,974 times

Advertisements

I just did some reading on rtp..my mind is blown right now lol. I love what's happening here in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 11:01 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayndgo View Post
I can afford up to 1700 for a place. What's 12-20 miles from my criteria I don't understand what you meant by that..I don't think anyone would hire someone who does not live in the state. Guess I have to take this offline..I take it you must live right near where you work..and I also take it that all of the jobs are not in downtown Raleigh but dispersed all over the city.
He means nobody can tell you something is ______ miles from work if you don't have a job yet. And plenty of people find jobs before moving it, it is highly recommended, with all of the job competition in the area.

In fact, most of the jobs in downtown Raleigh aare service jobs (restaurants etc) and state government. This area is the very opposite of the kind of city where a "central city" has all the jobs--in fact, Research Triangle Park that's in between Raleigh and Durham is probably the big economic engine of the area. I guess you'll figure this out when you get here....but just understand that almost everyone recommends finding employment before moving here (or anywhere), or at least having a big nest egg to live off while you hunt. And renting, not buying, until you have a job so you'll be close enough to it.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I just did some reading on rtp..my mind is blown right now lol. I love what's happening here in NC.
I'm very surprised you chose this area to relocate to without knowing about RTP; it's been around since the 1950s and pretty much "made" this area what it is--but it's hardly a new phenomenon. So, as you can see, there's no "one place" where all the jobs are, which is why it's highly recommended to find a job online before moving here because it could be a long way from where you are living.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm very surprised you chose this area to relocate to without knowing about RTP; it's been around since the 1950s and pretty much "made" this area what it is--but it's hardly a new phenomenon. So, as you can see, there's no "one place" where all the jobs are, which is why it's highly recommended to find a job online before moving here because it could be a long way from where you are living.
I never really chose anything yet that's why I decided to visit and ask a bunch of questions

Old 11-09-2015, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
He means nobody can tell you something is ______ miles from work if you don't have a job yet. And plenty of people find jobs before moving it, it is highly recommended, with all of the job competition in the area.

In fact, most of the jobs in downtown Raleigh aare service jobs (restaurants etc) and state government. This area is the very opposite of the kind of city where a "central city" has all the jobs--in fact, Research Triangle Park that's in between Raleigh and Durham is probably the big economic engine of the area. I guess you'll figure this out when you get here....but just understand that almost everyone recommends finding employment before moving here (or anywhere), or at least having a big nest egg to live off while you hunt. And renting, not buying, until you have a job so you'll be close enough to it.
I understand....

Like I said it was arbitrary numbers. Most I'd drive is prob 20 miles if it was absolutely necessary. I am not used to the geography of the state that's all. Now that I visited I have a better understanding of how to approach searching for a job or a place to live.

And just a backstory on me moving to la, I had nothing but unemployment when I moved. I worked close with the few creative employment agencies that i previously got placed with and they could not place me nor did anyone want to meet me until I actually moved. If I decided to move to NC I'm going to do the same thing along with sending my resume out and trying to get some bites before I move but again from my experience no one really ever employes someone who lives out of state. If I get lucky with an offer or relocation then perfect. Most likely that will not happen so I'm coming with 6x months worth of living expenses and bills to cover myself.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:54 PM

And do you know every economic innovation that happens anywhere other than NC? Lol..you learn something new eveyday (rtp). I knew of it I just didn't understand the backstory and history. Since I'm in tech it seemed like the perfect place for me so.

Just saying..

Why are people so much nicer off this site? Lol

Old 11-11-2015, 01:22 PM

Does it always rain for 2 days straight during this time of the year? Does it just take some time to get used to? especially driving in that was a bit rough.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:00 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,069 times
No but there has been an exceptional amount of rain the past 2 months. I was a week late putting out my Halloween decor and wasn't able to bring it in on time, due to all the rain rain after. It happens but it's not an unusually rainy area over all. I hate that it was raining on your trip here. Definitely puts a damper on things.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:03 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Two days of rain is not uncommon at all. Two weeks of rain is (which is pretty much what we had), but two days happens all the time. There is no rainy season. It can rain any time of year, it's just different styles of rain at different times of year. In the summer we get lots of thunderstorms, especially later in the afternoon as the atmosphere heats up. In the winter we get long grey drizzly days. We do get lots of sun, too, but nothing like LA. It's probably pretty similar to NY weather, just sub rain for 90% of the snow in winter.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Does it always rain for 2 days straight during this time of the year? Does it just take some time to get used to? especially driving in that was a bit rough.
I actually think I saw somewhere that November is traditionally the "driest" month for this area; this year is unusual. I think spring and early summer are the rainiest months, but you could do a search on climate of the area to get more objective stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary