Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 AM

7 posts, read 7,796 times

Advertisements

Hi All

I'm considering a job offer in Clayton, and will need to relocate with my family. As I'm not familiar with the Raleigh area, I would appreciate if anybody could help me out a bit:

1: How bad is the traffic from Cary/Holly Springs/Apex to Clayton? I'm willing to commute, but might as well pick a place close by and spend the time with my kids.

2: We are looking to rent a house as the job offer is time limited. I don't expect to hang around when the project is finished. Do you know if it's possible to get a rough estimate for utilites (gas, water, electricity). I know it's very dependent on the exact house, but I'm not familiar with US utilities cost whatsoever. Is 100$ common, or do I need to factor in 3-400 $ per month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 05:35 AM

Sorry, just found some previous Q&A's regarding the utilities, so I think I got that one covered.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,237,376 times
depends on where in Clayton. I'd say it's fairly far-flung.

But generally, the traffic would run from Clayton->Cary, so you'd be going against traffic and it should be much lighter.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:39 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,292,246 times
If this is a temp job, move to Clayton.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:42 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,920,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
That was my immediate thought. If temporary and not owning, then why not just live near work?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:40 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Agree!

Most of Clayton is quite nice!

Old 10-12-2015, 11:05 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,033,535 times
But guys ,you can't forget that only Cary and Apex have very best ,sprinkles and cherry on the top schools. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if that's the rationale driving this question. Especially since the OP isn't familiar with the triangle other then research online. Has CDF made me a skeptic?

Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM

It's not too far fetched that the reputation of Apex, Cary etc is better, at least the company HR have quite actively promoted those areas, despite clayton being the place for working. I will have a few days in NC before we move, so I will drive around those areas and have a look. I will try to hit the beltline (40) between 7 a.m and 8 a.m to see if I would bother with the traffic.

As I will be working, I'm sure Clayton would suit me just fine, but my better half would also like to live quite central and not having to drive 30m+ to get to whatever is needed. If the commute can be done in about 30m then I would be OK, 50-60m would probably be a turn off for me.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:13 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,263,060 times
Clayton is quite spread out but there are plenty of shops around.

Check out White Oak Shopping Center, for one.

Depending on where in Clayton you'll be, you should not have to drive 30 minutes for anything except a mall.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:00 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,033,535 times
I would not want to commute Cary to Clayton unless I really had too. I could but I'd explore other options. Clayton is a nice little town. Without knowing what your wife likes to do its hard for me to say whether or not she would need to drive into Raleigh. But briefly I'd say.

Clayton:fast food options,Wal-Mart,grocery stores,few independent restaurants,Starbucks,gyms, pharmacies etc..

Raleigh: better restaurants and bars,malls,Trader Joe's,Whole Foods,bigger downtown

I live in Garner which is right between Raleigh/Clayton. Right before Clayton on hwy 70 is White Oak shopping center. It's pretty big and is probably considered the best one in the area. We're talking theaters,restaurants,sporting goods,Khols,Target,Cabelas,TJ Maxx ,Hallmark. All your typical suburban shopping options. It's convenient to access and doesn't seem to suffer the gridlock Brier Creek has with much of the same offerings.

Clayton will feel more rural then Cary or Apex. Depends on the person if that's a plus or a minus. Lots of new planned communities filled with transplants,which is good if you don't have a social network already in place.

One more thing. Even though your commute puts you in the opposite direction of most traffic ,you still have the time it takes to reach the main roads. Then there is the risk of I-40 being a parking lot due to car accidents often. People drive it everyday but if you have better options I'd take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary