Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:35 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,893,859 times

Advertisements

I like, not, when traveling down one lane on Glenwood Ave, I believe it is, where all of a sudden, out of no where, the road is taken up with parked cars. PARKED CARS sitting right in the driving lane. Who thought that up?

Helloooooo! Off street parking solution or widen the road there. Why let unsuspecting people plow right into the back of these parked cars in the driving lane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 02:41 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
The roads here have been messed with so much to try to solve problems that they are dangerous pieces of junk.

Instead of solving problems, more are created every time something is changed.

The real solution cannot be understood by DOT and the county. We just cannot properly serve all the transplants being lured here and need to begin a "no growth" policy or improve public transit.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:21 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I like, not, when traveling down one lane on Glenwood Ave, I believe it is, where all of a sudden, out of no where, the road is taken up with parked cars. PARKED CARS sitting right in the driving lane. Who thought that up?

Helloooooo! Off street parking solution or widen the road there. Why let unsuspecting people plow right into the back of these parked cars in the driving lane?
I'm with you on that and I bet your talking about five points area near the Rialto. I've got the same issue coming into and out of downtown Raleigh everyday. In the morning there's always at least one car that's parked on the side of Person street that everyone in the left lane has to move over to avoid. Then otw home it's common to have to do the same on Blount near Shaw,where students are not allowed to park after 4pm. Now I'll give it to their campus police because they will usually have a ticket on their car but it's still and inconvenience to have to shift over a lane to avoid hitting.

That's one thing I never liked or did much,even on residential roads. Why would I park my car where it could be hit and run so easily. I don't have the insurance to cover that. Drive down Frank street every morning and think why I'm I having to squeeze between cars parked on both sides of a narrow street when all their driveways are empty. I understand 2 car households but are we really that lazy that it's preferable just to park it in the road instead.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:25 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Holy cow, maybe because I have lived in NC my whole life, but I despise driving in Hampton Roads. Lanes randomly add and drop on the x64 highways without much, if any, warning. The surface streets aren't bad, at least in Norfolk and Chesapeake, but the highways are just awful. We have a huge leg up on that.
I agree. I had to go to Norfolk for a funeral this past August and I-64 and I-264 was a parking lot, especially at the I-64, I-264 interchange in Norfolk. Just about every exit there was a damn cloverleaf exit where traffic merging onto I-64 was sharing the same lane as those exiting I-64. I HATE those cloverleafs! I know there's a few around the Triangle, but at least it ain't every exit.

On another note, on my way to Greenville from Danville VA last month, I couldn't help but laugh at the 60 mph speed limit on I-440 when I went from Glenwood Ave to US-264. Damn near everybody was going at LEAST 15 mph over. I cruised around 70-75mph and cars were flying by like I was parked. Hey, I'm not complaining. I'd rather be on the Daytona 500 (I-440) than sitting in a parking lot (I-64) any day. It was packed with traffic, but it was damn sure moving! I took I-540 on my way back.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:28 AM

703 posts, read 779,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
Have you met saturnfan yet? I think y'all'd have a lot to talk about....
Exactly what my first thought was too !!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:43 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
Truthfully, I have no problems with the freeways around here. I was talking entirely about the surface roads.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb3589 View Post
Keep in mind that many of the roads in areas of Wake County that are growing quickly are in various stages of development. Many roads that seem to randomly lose or gain lanes (Green Level Church Road is a prime example) were small two-lane roads until very recently. As developers build out new subdivisions, they are often required to expand portions of the roads around their development from two to four lanes. Because not all of the land along a particular road is being developed at the same time, you end up with sections of old, narrow two-lane roads opening up into wide two-lane or four-lane roads before dropping back down to the original road.

Its annoying, but it does help keep taxes down as the various municipalities/NCDOT are typically not paying for road expansion.
^^^This is the real reason in many areas.

"Green Level to Durham Rd" -- remember that issue? There was for a years a portion that was still gravel and turned this way and that just because no one could figure out who should/would/could pay for connecting two pieces of it where it crossed the Durham and Cary border. Not sure how that was decided, except that it all seems to be Cary now, the road is finished, and no problemo.

Oh, and I agree, we have plenty of street lights. Unnecessary light pollution is to be avoided. Just use your headlights and drive more slowly at night than during the day.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:53 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,204,475 times
You think the roads are bad now, wait until the state makes your road a "super street" like that cluster f in Holly Springs.

Small town minded government trying to tackle big city problems. Never works.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:02 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
You think the roads are bad now, wait until the state makes your road a "super street" like that cluster f in Holly Springs.

Amen!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:05 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,376,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Does not compute. Was it a state project or a local government project?

Superstreets are better and are not small minded. May take some getting used to.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 10-28-2015 at 08:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary