Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 06:00 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Perhaps fewer applicants, but still long odds for the lottery and a huge wait list.
I have a friend with a kid at the Expedition School and while she has great things to say about it as a new school I don't think it's incredibly popular yet and as far as I know there's not a huge waiting list. Have you applied or do you have more info about Expedition than I do?

When we applied to our charter, Hawbridge, 4 yrs ago it was definitely not long odds — in fact I think they took a majority of the applicants. It has since gotten more popular, but early on it's usually pretty easy to get into a charter. It ONLY depends on how many applicants there are. If it's a new school and not very popular yet then your chances of getting in are very good. Some place like Woods or Raleigh Charter that has built up a great reputation over many years has way more applicants and your chances of getting in are much tougher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have a friend with a kid at the Expedition School and while she has great things to say about it as a new school I don't think it's incredibly popular yet and as far as I know there's not a huge waiting list. Have you applied or do you have more info about Expedition than I do?

When we applied to our charter, Hawbridge, 4 yrs ago it was definitely not long odds — in fact I think they took a majority of the applicants. It has since gotten more popular, but early on it's usually pretty easy to get into a charter. It ONLY depends on how many applicants there are. If it's a new school and not very popular yet then your chances of getting in are very good. Some place like Woods or Raleigh Charter that has built up a great reputation over many years has way more applicants and your chances of getting in are much tougher.
On their website, it says there is a waitlist for every grade for this current year. While I'm sure it's nowhere near as popular as Woods, I still wouldn't count on getting in. Apply and hope for it, but don't count on it.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
That's true, but that just means they did fill all the spots they had available. Doesn't mean it was hard to get in. They could have had 30 spots in each grade and had 33 applications for each grade and have a wait list of 3 kids for each. I can ask my friend if you're really curious.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
LOL!! I was thinking the same! And wish i had a heli for my commute to Durham. My friend commutes from Clayton to midtown Raleigh and the commute is 45mins to 1hr. This is about the same as my Knightdale to Durham commute. It has become unbearable. Used to be 35-40 minutes.

OP - I agree with Francois, check out the schools first. And, Wake Forest isn't high growth. I'd say the school and work location should be your first focus. Everything else will fall into place after you've sorted this out.

here is a school in the Durham/Chapel Hill area to check out About Just Right Academy | Just Right Academy
I'm with you on that commute, However both of you missed the OP stating that the husband is only going into the office once a month. I wouldn't discourage it if it was weekly either. Ive gone from Garner to Chapel Hill/Durham at least weekly most of last year.

Old 11-15-2015, 12:40 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,130,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I'm with you on that commute, However both of you missed the OP stating that the husband is only going into the office once a month. I wouldn't discourage it if it was weekly either. Ive gone from Garner to Chapel Hill/Durham at least weekly most of last year.
Done it for 15 years, 5 days a week.... It's seriously not that big a deal. 45 minutes on average.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:58 PM

6 posts, read 3,707 times
I have a friend who has an autistic son who is 9. He goes to Cleveland Elementary in Clayton and does very well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary