Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 02:53 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Not that much of a time saver. A lot of folks can barely operate a candy bar vending machine, let alone a self- checkout terminal.

Yes they work best where there are individual self checkouts instead of one line where you go to the next open checkout. Getting stuck behind someone who can't work the scanner, the scale or worst of all the credit card scanner is super frustrating. Right up there with being behind someone at the regular checkout who acts surprised when the total is announced and they start fishing around for their wallet - "oh yeah I have to pay!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 04:20 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Why would any god need to help you? Go ahead and enlighten us with what you really are trying to say. I'm not positive, but it sounds like your saying all the people with ebt and benefits show up on the first. That is what your veiled insult implied. I'm confused because in NC benefits are given out in accordance with the last number of one's SS number. Could be the 1st,8th or the 21st. So for some reason you assume the people shopping on the first are all on social programs. Why is that, if thats what you were saying?

Edited: I just noticed you said Danville which is in Virginia. Did a quick Google and benefits are posted according to one's case #. So.......
When I said "God help you" it was a figure of speech and I was referring to the fact that any Walmart, I don't give a damn where it is, is usually the most packed around the first week of each month, except for the holidays and anybody that regulary shops at Walmart knows it's true. It's an even bigger pain in the ass getting in and out than it usually is. As far as you accusing me of insulting anybody that's on social programs, that's total BS. I don't begrudge anybody (with the exception of those that get convicted of fraud) that's fallen on hard times and using social programs because I've been there, done that myself. I used to get EBT. I ain't proud of it, but I'm not gonna lie about it. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I don't check other people's wallets so how the hell would I know who gets assistance and who doesn't? By the way, I'm pretty familiar with how things work in NC. I grew up in Wayne County and spent most of my life there until 2009 and I still try to keep up with what goes on in NC.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I love the self-service checkouts because I know I can pretty much grab what I need and be out the door in a minute or two. It bypasses the stress of having to stand in line behind people who move suh-low-ly or who have no problem holding up the line while they run and grab "one more thing".

The biggest time saver is in not having to wait in line; there's no doubt that lops off considerable time while checking out. And while there's some truth to it taking a little longer while figuring out where the barcodes are located and the right angle to scan them, I'm pretty sure I'm about as fast as most of their cashiers.

You do realize your comment is a blatant contradiction, right? There's been an obvious increase in self-service checkouts over the past year (Walmart and Target both).

And error messages don't clear on their own, I know that for a fact because I had a chance to speak to one of the people who develop software for the machines. Clearing the error requires a visual check and an overt action on the part of an authorized employee.
They dang well clear on their own even when no clerk is at the console.

The software is such crap that many of the automated checkouts continually crash.

The currency processors go down all the time leaving only credit/debit cards.

This is at Triangle, but looks like the same systems are all around.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
When I said "God help you" it was a figure of speech and I was referring to the fact that any Walmart, I don't give a damn where it is, is usually the most packed around the first week of each month, except for the holidays and anybody that regulary shops at Walmart knows it's true. It's an even bigger pain in the ass getting in and out than it usually is. As far as you accusing me of insulting anybody that's on social programs, that's total BS. I don't begrudge anybody (with the exception of those that get convicted of fraud) that's fallen on hard times and using social programs because I've been there, done that myself. I used to get EBT. I ain't proud of it, but I'm not gonna lie about it. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I don't check other people's wallets so how the hell would I know who gets assistance and who doesn't? By the way, I'm pretty familiar with how things work in NC. I grew up in Wayne County and spent most of my life there until 2009 and I still try to keep up with what goes on in NC.

I apologize for interpreting your comment that way. I probably did jump to conclusions without much to go on. I've gotten a little persnikety about people in CDF as a whole always talking down about people on any form of welfare. The whole "carts full of steak and lobster"crowd'

Old 11-15-2015, 07:49 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Self checkout is good for when you're just getting a few items; anyone who brings a full shopping car to a self-checkout lane is.....dumb.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:26 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Self Checkouts are so persnickety...At HT, Food Lion and Walmart, I have had much bad luck, always end up needing the attendant to come and convince the computer to do its job.

I don't bother anymore.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
Quote:
I apologize for interpreting your comment that way. I probably did jump to conclusions without much to go on. I've gotten a little persnikety about people in CDF as a whole always talking down about people on any form of welfare. The whole "carts full of steak and lobster"crowd'
No worries.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:15 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Self-checkouts are fantastic! I imagine soon almost every retail store will use self-checkouts with the national push for $15 minimum wage. They only require 1 employee to monitor up to 6 self-checkouts. Self-checkouts also don't have to be paid a wage or benefits!

But the self checkouts will stay busy because it's all about convenience.
The technology exists already to have RFID pricing labels on each product. When that happens. you just push your cart through a "zone", and every item will be "scanned". Instant check-out (and I'm sure they can do the same or similar with payment).

Put me in the camp of absolutely HATING self-checkouts for anything more than one or two items. Seems like they always have problems, or the scale needs to be reset, or I'm buying beer and the attendant doesn't notice, or etc.... Personally, I hate them unless I only have a couple normal items.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:57 AM

2,492 posts, read 3,028,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
The technology exists already to have RFID pricing labels on each product. When that happens. you just push your cart through a "zone", and every item will be "scanned". Instant check-out (and I'm sure they can do the same or similar with payment).

Put me in the camp of absolutely HATING self-checkouts for anything more than one or two items. Seems like they always have problems, or the scale needs to be reset, or I'm buying beer and the attendant doesn't notice, or etc.... Personally, I hate them unless I only have a couple normal items.
That's the thing I don't understand. I remember hearing about RFID pricing more then a decade ago,but where is it? Does anyone want to save me a Google search to answer why it's not being used already?

Old 11-16-2015, 06:13 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
That's the thing I don't understand. I remember hearing about RFID pricing more then a decade ago,but where is it? Does anyone want to save me a Google search to answer why it's not being used already?
I don't know, but I assume it is due to cost. I'm pretty sure it's already being used in shipping for customs clearance. An entire shipping container cleared at one time. (And of course they can do random search/checks as needed.)

My guess (not to be confused with fact) is that with low margins of a Wal-Mart, it's not there yet. However, as I type, I recall that U of Ark is leading the way in RFID technology, driven by walmart.

So much for lazy:
Grocery industry operations are facing a real paradigm shift - RFID Arena

#3 relates to the Original topic....

...and for more reading and a youtube or three...:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ery%20shopping

EDIT: Yep, "margins":
http://www.rfidarena.com/2013/4/2/it...there-yet.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary