Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 16,164 times

Advertisements

How is the work environment in downtown Raleigh? Parking? Traffic? Commute from Apex? Any grocery stores nearby that can be visited for lunch break errands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 05:44 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,030,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee_phife View Post
How is the work environment in downtown Raleigh? Parking? Traffic? Commute from Apex? Any grocery stores nearby that can be visited for lunch break errands?
Disclaimer: I do not work in downtown Raleigh. I do however drive thru every day and frequent often.

Parking: some gov workers get deck parking at a reduced rate. There are several parking decks but I usually do metered parking for trips under 2 hours. Weekend parking is currently still free(subject to change)

Traffic: oddly enough it has the least commuter traffic out of our key employment areas..Exception being during special events. It's really a non issue.

Commute from Apex isn't too bad, better from Garner though

Groceries: unfortunately that's where we fall short. There's some new specialty markets opening soon. One being over near Peace University but as for the core of downtown, a couple mini Mart/check cashing kind of places. So a grocery store is on our wishlist. The official stance is that our residential density is still too low. Cross fingers

Old 12-02-2015, 06:59 PM

186 posts, read 331,255 times
i work in downtown, have for 10+ years. generally agree with cyn's comments. commute from Apex is about 35 minutes, depends on traffic very much and how far south in "apex" you come from. traffic up US1 north into Cary can bottleneck in morning rush hour. especially with slow down on I40 construction.

for errands, there is a CVS drugstore about half way down Fayetteville Street Mall....oops sorry, I mean Street. and a Ace hardware in Seaboard Station, back behind Logans Trading Comp. otherwise, nearest full grocery is HT at Cameron Village, or the Food Lion on east side @ Raleigh Blvd and Glascock, or there was a Kroger @ MLK and Raleigh Bldv....it might be a Save a Lot now?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 16,164 times
Thanks so much!

Old 12-03-2015, 02:54 PM

265 posts, read 270,006 times
Parking is expensive, but most employers should pay for it. Mine does. There is no traffic in or getting out of Downtown. The bottlenecks occur in the neighborhoods linking to the freeways. I live off I-40 in Cary and take I-40 to Wade to Crapital everyday. My bottleneck occurs on Wade ave, but its really not that bad. The downtown environment is where it gets subjective. Ive lived in a bunch cities with Raleigh being my first city in the South. My impressions are that it is extremely easy to park and drive into. Very clean. Very Relaxed. The negatives are there is no supermarket to walk to. And I don't like the price-quality-ratio of the restaurants downtown. It's an incomplete downtown that is taking steps in the right direction, but far from what it should be for a metro this size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary