Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 AM

34 posts, read 102,313 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are coming to the Triangle in a couple of weeks to do our third round of house-hunting, area-scoping, etc. I feel like prospective sellers (especially builders) don't take us seriously or are way too pushy.

Specifically one guy who was constantly asking us what our jobs were, whether we had jobs in NC, whether the friend who accompanied us was a realtor, whether we had sold our current home (we rent). It made me feel like he was sizing us up to see whether he should waste his time with us. He also asked my friend if she spoke Spanish so he could find out what we were saying to each other during a private conversation in another part of the house, which I felt was HIGHLY inappropriate.

Because of these experiences, I felt like we need a realtor who is not going to ignore us OR pressure us when we make the 10-hour drive with two small children to NC. Be honest, is this attitude because we are interested in homes in the $150K range or are all realtors so pushy/rude?

Please PM me if you know (or are) a realtor with the following attributes:
*Does not dismiss our business or work hard because of our price range.
*Willing to show homes in different areas (meaning you won't try to discourage with the whole Durham is BAD, BAD, BAD vibe).
*Willing to answer lots of questions from first-home buyers.
*Tolerant of other cultures.
*Willing to put up with us dragging our children around.
*Willing to show HUD or foreclosures if necessary.
*Able to work long-distance (we live in FL).
*Not afraid of technology (one lady told me that she couldn't send long-distance faxes) and capable of electronic communication.
*Patient and not pushy. I don't want to feel like I'm wasting anyone's time.
*Knowledgeable about local inspectors, repairmen, etc.

Anything else I should be looking for? Please feel free to add your input!

Last edited by FL teacher; 02-04-2008 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,817,010 times
Your price point tends to have a high percentage of failed/non-completed transactions. This can be due to numerous factors- mortgage issues (more common with first time buyers and more prevalent in the current mortgage environment), homes failing to appraise in low or no down payment situations, job loss during the process, relocations going south, etc. Those facts can make an agent choose to try to qualify you as quickly as possible. Obviously there are right and wrong ways to do this. All of the questions you were asked are legitimate-I'm sorry if the method was inappropriate.

I don't think your expectations are unreasonable (in fact many of the things you cite are legally required of an agent). It may just take a couple of tries to find a good match.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
Your price point tends to have a high percentage of failed/non-completed transactions. This can be due to numerous factors- mortgage issues (more common with first time buyers and more prevalent in the current mortgage environment), homes failing to appraise in low or no down payment situations, job loss during the process, relocations going south, etc. Those facts can make an agent choose to try to qualify you as quickly as possible. Obviously there are right and wrong ways to do this. All of the questions you were asked are legitimate-I'm sorry if the method was inappropriate.

I don't think your expectations are unreasonable (in fact many of the things you cite are legally required of an agent). It may just take a couple of tries to find a good match.
While I don't disagree that these are expected questions for my OWN realtor, I find that the builder's representative asking these questions while not being able to answer questions such as the square footage of the home he is showing us and the zoning of the local schools was a bit annoying to me.

I did tell him that we were prepared to put down 20% cash, and these conversations were held last year, before the current mortgage "crisis," so I'm not quite ready to dismiss this as totally appropriate behavior.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:43 PM

281 posts, read 1,108,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL teacher View Post
My husband and I are coming to the Triangle in a couple of weeks to do our third round of house-hunting, area-scoping, etc. I feel like prospective sellers (especially builders) don't take us seriously or are way too pushy.

Specifically one guy who was constantly asking us what our jobs were, whether we had jobs in NC, whether the friend who accompanied us was a realtor, whether we had sold our current home (we rent). It made me feel like he was sizing us up to see whether he should waste his time with us. He also asked my friend if she spoke Spanish so he could find out what we were saying to each other during a private conversation in another part of the house, which I felt was HIGHLY inappropriate.

Because of these experiences, I felt like we need a realtor who is not going to ignore us OR pressure us when we make the 10-hour drive with two small children to NC. Be honest, is this attitude because we are interested in homes in the $150K range or are all realtors so pushy/rude?

Please PM me if you know (or are) a realtor with the following attributes:
*Does not dismiss our business or work hard because of our price range.
*Willing to show homes in different areas (meaning you won't try to discourage with the whole Durham is BAD, BAD, BAD vibe).
*Willing to answer lots of questions from first-home buyers.
*Tolerant of other cultures.
*Willing to put up with us dragging our children around.
*Willing to show HUD or foreclosures if necessary.
*Able to work long-distance (we live in FL).
*Not afraid of technology (one lady told me that she couldn't send long-distance faxes) and capable of electronic communication.
*Patient and not pushy. I don't want to feel like I'm wasting anyone's time.
*Knowledgeable about local inspectors, repairmen, etc.

Anything else I should be looking for? Please feel free to add your input!

If you are Willing to sign an exclusive right to represent buyer contract I am sure a Realtor will be willing to help you.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:15 PM

319 posts, read 1,479,129 times
I sent you a DM. I will agree with Stu. I think most realtors will want you to sign an exclusive right to represent buyer contract. It shows your serious intent to buy. Homes in the $150 K range seem to go very quickly. I would recommend on your next trip to line up some realtors to interview. Go with the one that you feel most confident will do the job for you.

I thought I was pretty savvy looking up listings. My realtor proved me wrong by finding my home. It wasn't listed since the builder's agent was using it to show the floorplan and get people to buy down the street. We snagged it up! I even had families coming up to me during my walk through to ask me if I was certain I was buying my home. A good buyer's agent is worth your weight in gold!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:27 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,171,909 times
Once visited a Pulte townhome community on Litchford Rd.

Told the seller's rep that the construction was so putrid I'd sue the contractor instead of paying them.

He insinuated I couldn't afford the home. I told him honestly that I could have written him a check for payment in full and my credit union would gladly honor it.

Don't feel insulted because of ethniicity, etc. Some agents have about the brains of the north end of a southbound horse, if that.

I found the new construction in my price range such trash that I renewed my apt lease for the 4th year and put the money in a 5% CD at the credit union.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM

29 posts, read 82,418 times
Wink FL Teacher

I have heardfrom someone I know that there are some pushy Realtors in the Raleigh area so If you don't like what they are saying then find someone else who can help. All I can say is I don't do business this way and most don't. I will be repremanded if I try to solicit business here so all I can say is to look at the business listings and make your choice by interviewing them and finding who you feel comfortable with. Its a relationship between Realtor and Buyer that makes the process a smooth one as well as knowledge. good Luck!

Old 02-04-2008, 05:55 PM

29 posts, read 82,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Barnes View Post
If you are Willing to sign an exclusive right to represent buyer contract I am sure a Realtor will be willing to help you.
One other thing I should mention if you don't already know this is that if you contact an Agent that is working for the builder then the only way they will be representing your interests is through Desginated Agency as a Listing Agent they are representing the Builder not you. They can be your agent too but they will be in Dual Agency and unless you have a designated agency signed then really they are just negotiating the process for you. It is better to have a Buyers Agent who will only represent your interests. You Should sign a buyers agency with another agent so you can be represented properly in the transaction and do get an attorney. Also don't think that because its new construction you do not need an inspection. Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Thanks to everyone who sent me DMs with referrals.
I am willing to sign an agreement, but not after knowing someone for only 5 minutes. Anyone can be professional and great for a few minutes!

Can anyone recommend some questions that I should ask when interviewing a realtor? Help! I can't even really think of any...

Would it be inappropriate to ask, "If we are unhappy with your services, would you be willing to cancel the contract?"

Old 02-05-2008, 08:59 AM

321 posts, read 1,577,740 times
I did not sign an exclusive buyer's agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary