Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:41 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times

Advertisements

What are the boundaries of North Raleigh? It seems to go from Central down town Raleigh as its southern boundry and up to Wake Forest in the north and over to the Durham line in the west and Knightdale in the east. Is there a defined area on a map that is North Raleigh or is the term used as in the times of Magellan, loosely? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,706 times
I used to think North Raleigh started at the Beltline, but with a mid town sprouting up around North Hills, I'd now say North Raleigh doesn't really start until Milbrook Road. Basically everything north of Milbrook between Glenwood/70 & Capital/1 up to and including Wakefield.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
Is North Raleigh, north of 540? I apologize for the ignorance, but I always thought North Raleigh was north of 540. Thanks

Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Blast from the past:

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...h-raleigh.html

Old 02-05-2008, 07:25 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,390 times
Certain parts of East Raleigh have piggybacked on the whole north raleigh thing and call themselves "north east Raleigh" but its hardly what some would consider N. Raleigh. Areas that come to mind are off New Hope Road, Trawick, out to US 64 - basically on the other side of Capital Blvd.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Most would respond anything between Glenwood and US-1, north of the beltline (I-440). But as the northern part of Raleigh has continued to be developed, the center of Raleigh has shifted and is now around North Hills Mall. So I would tend to think you need to go farther north than that. mdp_az's suggestion of anything north of Millbrook Road is a decent one. I could be talked into going a little farther north as well - say Spring Forest/Lynn.

Any way you slice it, that is a huge swath of area. I prefer to narrow it down some, usually by using some of the major arteries such as Creedmoor Road, Six Forks Road, and Falls of Neuse Road.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:02 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Thanks all. Based on all the great responses I think I can best describe it as 'approximate' north Raleigh. Its 1/2 way between somewhere around or just north of the belt line (rt440) but not quite as far as over there but with great certain we know its not east of Capital (us1). OK I'm clear on it now.
Maybe a good analogy is when someone from NY says they are from the city. Well there are 5 distinct boroughs in NYC, each with its own culture and architecture. So when I hear someone say they are from north Raleigh I will now have some idea where they are from, maybe......again thanks all and sorry this was redundant! I've been here 5 years now and still get confused on inner and outer belt line. (Inner is clockwise, outer is counterclockwise).

Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM

7,147 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote: Basically everything north of Milbrook between Glenwood/70 & Capital/1 up to and including Wakefield.

I agree with that definition. When I started my home search many years ago, I used to get totally peeved when a realtor would advertise a home as being located in "North Raleigh" and found it was east of Capital Blvd. Some of them even tried to tell me that the Buffalo Road area was in "North Raleigh." Anything east of Capital to me is a whole different world.

And in my opinion, the further one travels west of Capital and towards Glenwood, Creedmoor Road, if you're talking about between the beltlines (which is soon going to be prime real estate because not much land is left here), the nicer North Raleigh becomes.

Happy searching!
toodie

Old 02-10-2008, 05:35 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
I was born in N. Raleigh and always new it to be everything North of 440...everything east of glenwood and everything west of capital blvd....give or take a few places.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 PM

4 posts, read 9,106 times
Hello,
I wanted to draw a path of the N. Raleigh area as you are all describing it in google earth, but I can't upload pictures here without a url I guess.

From what I understand everybody has determined North Raleigh is North of Millbrook rd, East of Capital Blvd, South of Falls of Neuse rd and 6 Forks rd, and West of Glenwood/Creedmoor.

Is North Raleigh, as it is described, the place to be in the area? So does that mean South Raleigh is generally less desirable?

What are some definite no-no areas that people should avoid moving to, let alone walking around in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary