Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 06:43 AM

492 posts, read 2,109,401 times

Advertisements

Ditto. I bought a resale house (the third I've had) because:

1. location, location, location: the new housing developments, built on farmland, are too far out for my day-to-day life. I wanted to be "in town" (Cary) and bought "inside the Cary Parkway.)

2. I wanted a mature neighborhood (trees!) and did not want to landscape.

3. I didn't want to be nickle and dimed by the house: curtains here, shades there, tool hangers in the garage, etc, etc -- all the ways a new house eats up time and money getting it established.

4. I wanted to be able to close and occupy within 6 weeks and avoid temporary housing (that didn't work because my first house deal fell through, but that's another story.)

I bought a 14 year old house that had been well maintained. I insisted that the seller replace the necessary pieces of siding and do other things that were found on the inspection report. The seller, who had the house for three years, had done hardwoods downstairs and kitchen counters.

The water heater is original, and if it goes...well, there's about $500. Oh, well. The 14 year old roof should have about 6 years left. The furnace and ac are original but everything is indoors so deterioration is minimal --the system is services 2x per year -- and efficiency is just fine for this (1600 sq foot) house.

I added a new stove and a new fridge (I needed to replace my 12 year old fridge no matter where I lived) and painted.

So, I found that buying a resell was much easier, much faster, and cost effective....at least, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 07:38 AM

266 posts, read 1,053,161 times
Default You can buy...

your own home warranty. They cover quite a bit and cost less than $500/year for the typical home. There are limitations. They have a small deductible and cap on coverage according to the plan you choose. I have had clients who have had air conditioners, water heaters, or other items replaced on these plans.
I personally prefer homes built before 1970 because the construction is usually so much better than new homes, but I inspect EVERYTHING and factor any imminent expenses into my purchase price. I haven't been sorry so far and always have at least three houses going. I love new house, too, but they are not usually in the locations I want.
Stay with a company that has been in business for a while, because they do go out of business once in a while.
American Home Shield (AHS Home Warranty Company - Taking the hassle out of home repairs - American Home Shield) is good, but not if the roof is questionable as they do not cover roofs in North Carolina. They do have very good A/C covergae. 2-10 (www.2-10).com) is one that builders themselves use. Olde Republic (Old Republic Home Protection - Home Warranty Service) has a good reputation, too. Read through the material carefully to select a plan. Any other comments from realtors that have had experiences with home warranty companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary