Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 11:00 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,381,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I agree. Why people don't remove the ice from the roof of their cars is beyond me. It is so unsafe to drive around just waiting for it to fly off.

Get this. I actually saw a "kid" (looked like he was 17-19) yesterday driving down Falls of Neuse Road with his windshield COMPLETELY covered in ice. You could not see through the windshield AT ALL. He had his head hanging out the side window to see and just drove on down the road. It didn't look like he made even a cursory attempt to remove the ice from his windshield. Just hopped in and went. The stupidity is just mind boggling. I really wish their had been a cop around.
That's terrible!!! I took the opportunity, with yesterday being sunny, to go ahead and clear my car off in anticipation of going to work today. Turned the car on and the heat up to max and let it idle for ~ 30 min (in two 15 min increments, because I was nervous about having it idle the entire time). By the time I went to scrape it off, it was easy-peasy using a broom and some other random things I had around.

By any method it's not THAT difficult if you think ahead just a little bit....gees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,280,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
main roads yes but if the side roads are dangerous or unpassable, that puts your first responders in danger.
Of course. But, they are better trained than the average citizen.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:47 AM

580 posts, read 712,635 times
Quote:
I agree. Why people don't remove the ice from the roof of their cars is beyond me. It is so unsafe to drive around just waiting for it to fly off.

Get this. I actually saw a "kid" (looked like he was 17-19) yesterday driving down Falls of Neuse Road with his windshield COMPLETELY covered in ice. You could not see through the windshield AT ALL. He had his head hanging out the side window to see and just drove on down the road. It didn't look like he made even a cursory attempt to remove the ice from his windshield. Just hopped in and went. The stupidity is just mind boggling. I really wish their had been a cop around.

Yesterday as we were walking home from Fresh Market- we saw a man driving into the parking lot with half his windshield clean (just enough to see) and the other half-maybe 3/4 covered in ice. Why??!!

Old 01-25-2016, 11:49 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCANC View Post
Yesterday as we were walking home from Fresh Market- we saw a man driving into the parking lot with half his windshield clean (just enough to see) and the other half-maybe 3/4 covered in ice. Why??!!
Because his time is more valuable than yours is, and the things he has to do are much more important than what you have to do.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:12 PM

131 posts, read 144,994 times
Does anyone know if Creedmoor going North is clear/melted yet? I wanted to head over to Falls Lake, since I have another day out the office. Storms make fit great birding!

Quote:
Ok, but I can explain!

It took me an hour to get the ice off the windshield, aND I was already soooo hungry, and I've been stuck indoors for days, and I only really drove 2 to 3 miles to Ba Da Wings!

They have cheese and broccoli soup all January! Don't judge meee!

Old 01-25-2016, 01:38 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,066,077 times
So my partner and I were out before lunch time on our driveway shoveling. We were using spades because for the most part the snow shovel was worthless. He tried the pressure washer but I think our hose wasn't long enough. What he did was take some hot water from the hot water tank in our garage and used that to melt the ice. We've cleared off a good 90% of the driveway I'd say. Next time we will pay someone to clear the driveway.

I still told my partner to consider staying home tomorrow. He said he's going to try to get out of the neighborhood. If the weather stays warm, he might be OK. As we were clearing the driveway I watched a delivery guy in a Toyota Corolla almost get stuck because he had no traction. We had several cars go through and a FedEx truck. I feel guilty because I'm expecting a UPS package tomorrow and I was too tired to clear off the steps to the front door.

Don't laugh, but here I am in the Brier Creek Country Club where most of our streets are public. But they don't get sanded, or salted, or cleared as far as I can tell. I think the main road is kind of clear because of traffic. A lot of side streets like mine are still icy.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:55 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,533,158 times
Did you see this? Ice Blowback

Old 01-25-2016, 02:26 PM

131 posts, read 144,994 times
Nvm, answered my own questions. I drove up to Falls Lake. Creedmoor is all clear, and the MTS trail is all snowy. It looks like a picture from a magazine! Absolutely gorgeous!

Old 01-25-2016, 02:41 PM

251 posts, read 515,444 times
WRAL just announced CHCCS are on a 3 hour delay tomorrow. I think WCPSS will be on a delay tomorrow as well.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:20 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,066,077 times
If anyone knows of a snow removal service, can you please PM me? I might need it if we get more snow. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary