Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2016, 08:11 AM

197 posts, read 208,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Maybe... Durham must have gotten another heavier round of snow than Raleigh... the shots of Durham's streets on TV look worse than Raleigh's.
In Durham near downtown, we didn't get that much snow. Hard pellets of ice were coming down hard but it wasn't really snow. It was quite loud hitting all the windows. Because it was already ice coming down, didn't stick to trees and power lines, etc. I woke up this morning grateful that we didn't lose power. But wow the east of RDU looks pretty bad... Is it as bad as 2002 ice storm? Hope everyone gets power back soon.

Last edited by Tellurium; 01-23-2016 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 08:19 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
A hot mess out there. Wel, you know what I mean....

Old 01-23-2016, 08:22 AM

714 posts, read 722,314 times
I don't plan to leave until it's warm enough that it softens the ice so I can shovel my driveway. I'm just grateful we didn't lose power here in SW Durham. Feel badly for those east of the airport, which got socked with power outages.

Meanwhile back at the house in NJ I'm trying to sell, they're expecting 10-15" of snow. No showings today, I guess...or tomorrow. :-(

Old 01-23-2016, 08:23 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Wow, the ice! I can't walk my strong, leash pulling dog at all, and had to break out the garden bed edger to break up the ice in a neighbor's driveway (they're not planning on going anywhere, but one of them just got out of the hospital - so in case of emergency).

I am thrilled that the experiment of putting a tarp on the deck worked and there's a completely dry walkway now. Getting to my backyard is always a huge issue during these things. Of course, I had to shovel the tarp (grr) but the wood is dry.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:24 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
How is everyone doing today? Is it icy?
Very icy. My sister said it took about half an hour to clear off her car, my DH said you go outside and you expect to sink down into it and you don't. It's just ice.

I tried to open a window screen earlier and it was iced shut.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:49 AM

4,605 posts, read 6,429,984 times
A regional ice rink.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,471 times
So thankful we did not lose power here in NW Raleigh. Just walked the dogs and child around neighborhood. Little snow, lots of ice underneath. Strange thing is, it was not slippery. I am thankful for that too!

Old 01-23-2016, 08:58 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
A good weekend to stay home for sure.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:04 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,275,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Wow, the ice! I can't walk my strong, leash pulling dog at all, and had to break out the garden bed edger to break up the ice in a neighbor's driveway (they're not planning on going anywhere, but one of them just got out of the hospital - so in case of emergency).

I am thrilled that the experiment of putting a tarp on the deck worked and there's a completely dry walkway now. Getting to my backyard is always a huge issue during these things. Of course, I had to shovel the tarp (grr) but the wood is dry.
That's very sweet of you. My neighbor across the street has a father with back, cardiac and diabetic issues so my other neighbor who has a snowblower (we don't) always clears his driveway and walkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Very icy. My sister said it took about half an hour to clear off her car, my DH said you go outside and you expect to sink down into it and you don't. It's just ice.

I tried to open a window screen earlier and it was iced shut.
Wow! Did your sister go anywhere? I hope not, with those kinds of conditions.

Looks like you're getting a 40 degree high tomorrow, I hope it makes it somewhat safe to drive.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:18 AM

24 posts, read 21,995 times
Had to come into work at the hospital yesterday and today- we live near Brier Creek and it was solid ice from our house to 540, and then most of the way down 540 towards New Bern Ave. Once I got near the hospital it wasn't too bad. I did have a car spin out on 540 directly in front of me and cross all 3 lanes of traffic last night and it scared the beejesus out of me; I love snow but I hate ice. Not a fan of people who won't slow down and drive safely in it either. Always nice to be an essential employee (sarcasm) during this kind of weather. Luckily we never lost power although my parents and several coworkers are without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary