Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 AM

7 posts, read 5,452 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are planning to move this summer from the Inland Empire with a 6th and an 8th grader. My husband has family in Pennsylvania and we would like to be closer to them. I personally never visited NC, I'm from Budapest.
I need recommendations on places to live (Cary? Apex?), schools (best school district?), orthodontist (someone great with grown-ups), volunteer opportunities/local causes to volunteer for (education/schools, women's issues, family services, not church related).

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 05:52 AM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
If you are trying to get closer to PA, why Raleigh? I feel sure you can find cities closer, if that is the primary goal.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:05 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Much depends upon where you or your spouse's employment will be and what your budget is.

Wake County School System is good and encompasses several towns.

I'm sure you won't have any problem finding a good orthodontist and good volunteer opportunities after you move here.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:38 AM

265 posts, read 270,037 times
I have family in PA and the drive is horrible. Especially during holidays with traffic. And I have experience driving long distances. I wouldn't base your decision on moving to NC bc it's closer to PA. If the main reason is a job, then that's a different story.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 5,452 times
Thank you all, I should have been more specific.
We have 2 dogs, and we either drive (!) from California to visit my in-laws in PA or I stay. Sounds crazy, I know.
After 15 years in Southern California, I don't think I want to live anywhere in PA hence thinking NC (warmer weather).
Right now we live in a small town and I would like to be closer to a bigger city, traffic is horrible here in California. Cost of living in California is crazy. For example our water bill is almost $300 a month.
My husband has a remote job, so that isn't an issue. :-)

Old 01-22-2016, 10:54 AM

514 posts, read 602,698 times
I don't think you will have any trouble finding a place more affordable, or with less traffic. Even Raleigh itself is not a big city. If work is not a consideration for you, what factors are?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:06 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC1234 View Post
Thank you all, I should have been more specific.
We have 2 dogs, and we either drive (!) from California to visit my in-laws in PA or I stay. Sounds crazy, I know.
After 15 years in Southern California, I don't think I want to live anywhere in PA hence thinking NC (warmer weather).
Right now we live in a small town and I would like to be closer to a bigger city, traffic is horrible here in California. Cost of living in California is crazy. For example our water bill is almost $300 a month.
My husband has a remote job, so that isn't an issue. :-)
North Carolina is warmer than PA, but it definately isn't warm.. They're having a few snow storms right about now. And Raleigh isn't really that close to PA either..

What small town do you live in the Inland Empire? The traffic isn't that bad in the smaller towns? I'm in an urban area without a yard in the LA Metro to water so my water bill is substantially lower..

Old 01-22-2016, 08:41 PM

7 posts, read 5,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC1234 View Post
Right now we live in a small town and I would like to be closer to a bigger city, traffic is horrible here in California.
Traffic is wonderful here. I moved from CA, lived all over. However, there is no big city here so I wouldn't want you to get your hopes up.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:23 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
And Raleigh isn't really that close to PA either..
Closer to PA than SoCal!

Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 PM

363 posts, read 433,473 times
It's usually warmer here than up north. We do get cold weather and snow, but it's not nearly as bad as PA. The drive is not that far neither if you're willing to travel on a monthly basis. The main problem is the big city, we don't have anything close to a big city compared to SoCal unless you're willing to drive at least 5 hours to go to DC or places like FL or GA. Many people who move here are very happy at first but eventually get tired of it quickly since it's nothing like NY or CA city and entertainment wise. You will save money though and NC is known for being family friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary