Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 8,935 times

Advertisements

So far I had a chance to read all the comments and just want to say I appreciate everyone's input so much and it has helped greatly.

I have visited Raleigh this past week but didn't get to see or do much and I felt it wasn't enough time to get a feel for what it would be to actually live there.

One thing that someone said that caught my attention is that I have lived in Charlotte for going on 4 years now and I think Charlotte is a good city, and being from New York City, I can say I do appreciate a city with a downtown with tall buildings, but I did read a mention about culture, which is more important to me than a "bigger" downtown center.

To me it seems like Charlotte lacks a "feel" or culture compared to other cities I have been to like Seattle, or Philadelphia (I am not comparing the size of the city or tall builds in a downtown area... just the overall atmosphere). Actually I find that Asheville has a "culture"/"feel" but lacks job opportunities unfortunately.

I didn't mean to start a Charlotte vs Raleigh thread, I just thought it was interesting that although Charlotte is a bigger city with opportunities, and lots to do, it never ends up on these list and Raleigh is at least in the top 10 and that's what caught my attention to Raleigh (or really the overall RTP area) and made me think if it would be a better place to move for the future especially for young professionals, IT workers, scientist, etc. Some restaurants make national lists, It gets many musician tours over Charlotte, and concerts.

So I am curious and had a thought....... Even though I haven't experienced enough in Raleigh visiting, so far I see no difference visualizing the lifestyle I would have living their versus the one I currently have in Charlotte... I am not a big "outdoors" guy and mostly like going to eat out, going to movies, and going to concert venues, events, comedy shows, and live plays and shows, things like that...

Having said that, if the thing I hold most important is a "vibe","culture", or character of a neighborhood rather than the size of a city.... Is the culture different enough Raleigh where it is worth it to making a move, or is the culture more or less the same as Charlotte?

If the "feel" of Charlotte and Raleigh are the same (as someone stated a small city surrounded by suburban areas) then I see myself just staying in Charlotte, but if there are any truths to these "top 10 list" and how Raleigh also makes these lists and it has a different character, I will probably visit again and based on the feedback here, I will probably make the move by the fall this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 08:08 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I think the culture of Raleigh is a little more what you're talking about, but if you also include Durham and Chapel Hill, which is really the Triangle, then yes definitely. The cities around Charlotte have much less going on than Charlotte, but that's not the case at all in the Triangle. Great touring Broadway shows come to DPAC and amazing bands come to Chapel Hill and Durham, too.

You might like to check out the upcoming events in the Indy (www.indyweek.com) our local alternative weekly newspaper (sort of like Creative Loafing, but I think it's better, too).

Old 02-10-2016, 08:17 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Does anyone know the years that WRAL was the (only) CBS affiliate for satellite TV from Canada to Aruba?

One night in Atlanta in the 1990's I freaked out seeing severe thunderstorm warnings for Harnett and Johnston Counties at a friend's house, lol.

WRAL's parent company has always been cutting edge. This 6pm news intro from 1982 is ahead of its time with the camera revolving the anchors and one of the very first sets to have the newsroom as the backdrop. It kinda holds its own even today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57LAqGlIVV8

The intro music is good in this early 90's 6pm intro. This was when Raleigh's growth and national recognition really took off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDr1AvqQuPc

Old 02-20-2016, 05:11 AM

3 posts, read 2,777 times
I would move to Chapel Hill. It has free bus service,great food,great bars,and is a lot prettier! The atmosphere there reminds me of Europe at times as many visitors and students at UNC-CH are from other countries. It is closer to the research jobs than a lot of Raleigh. Plus Raleigh is a very short distance away. I love Charlotte and miss living near there immensely. I lived outside of Rock Hill SC in the country for peace and quiet and low rent and no crime(where I lived the county had only 1 murder a year) I worked in Charlotte and loved my commute as many who lived in north Charlotte about the same distance away as I was would be stuck in traffic for hours I had a 25 minute top commute with only 1 stop sign before I was on the highway and 2 stoplights and I was at work. I loved to shop in Charlotte and go there for music and food and things I couldn't find in Rock Hill. If you are used to Charlotte high rents you could probably find something in Chapel Hill or Carrboro that would be affordable and would have a more interesting time!

Old 02-20-2016, 07:05 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,345,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbe704 View Post
So far I had a chance to read all the comments and just want to say I appreciate everyone's input so much and it has helped greatly.

I have visited Raleigh this past week but didn't get to see or do much and I felt it wasn't enough time to get a feel for what it would be to actually live there.

One thing that someone said that caught my attention is that I have lived in Charlotte for going on 4 years now and I think Charlotte is a good city, and being from New York City, I can say I do appreciate a city with a downtown with tall buildings, but I did read a mention about culture, which is more important to me than a "bigger" downtown center.

To me it seems like Charlotte lacks a "feel" or culture compared to other cities I have been to like Seattle, or Philadelphia (I am not comparing the size of the city or tall builds in a downtown area... just the overall atmosphere). Actually I find that Asheville has a "culture"/"feel" but lacks job opportunities unfortunately.

I didn't mean to start a Charlotte vs Raleigh thread, I just thought it was interesting that although Charlotte is a bigger city with opportunities, and lots to do, it never ends up on these list and Raleigh is at least in the top 10 and that's what caught my attention to Raleigh (or really the overall RTP area) and made me think if it would be a better place to move for the future especially for young professionals, IT workers, scientist, etc. Some restaurants make national lists, It gets many musician tours over Charlotte, and concerts.

So I am curious and had a thought....... Even though I haven't experienced enough in Raleigh visiting, so far I see no difference visualizing the lifestyle I would have living their versus the one I currently have in Charlotte... I am not a big "outdoors" guy and mostly like going to eat out, going to movies, and going to concert venues, events, comedy shows, and live plays and shows, things like that...

Having said that, if the thing I hold most important is a "vibe","culture", or character of a neighborhood rather than the size of a city.... Is the culture different enough Raleigh where it is worth it to making a move, or is the culture more or less the same as Charlotte?

If the "feel" of Charlotte and Raleigh are the same (as someone stated a small city surrounded by suburban areas) then I see myself just staying in Charlotte, but if there are any truths to these "top 10 list" and how Raleigh also makes these lists and it has a different character, I will probably visit again and based on the feedback here, I will probably make the move by the fall this year.
Maybe not as high or as often as Raleigh, but Charlotte does show up on a lot of "best places to move" lists as well.

I have not heard of Raleigh getting many concerts that Charlotte doesn't. I have heard that some people will skip them both and just do Greensboro though.

If you can get better paying jobs in Raleigh then I'd say go for it, and it wouldn't hurt to pay Raleigh another visit, but I probably wouldn't make a change just to make a change as personally I don't think you will find much of a different "culture" in Raleigh overall compared to Charlotte. Not sure where you are in Charlotte, but if you haven't already you should check out Plaza Midwood, Madison Park, Dilworth, Cotswold etc. Like Raleigh, there is not "culture" everywhere, but it is there.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:02 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I have not heard of Raleigh getting many concerts that Charlotte doesn't.
There are some bands that will just go to one place and not the other. For the music I like more artists come to the Triangle than Charlotte, but I'm not about big mega-stars. I think those come both places (Taylor Swift, Beyonce, Twenty One Pilots, Panic at the Disco!), but somebody like the Drive By Truckers is more likely to come to the Cats Cradle in Chapel Hill rather than Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary