Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times

Advertisements

Yes, my birdfeeder is in the front yard so the dogs don't eat the spilled birdseed. Doesn't agree with them very well. Apparently deer love it. A friend says they come lick it out of her feeder, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I like cannas and callas in my front yard because the deer don't bother them...at least they haven't in 7 years. You will soon learn which perennials are safe from deer but even those vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Some plants in my neighborhood in Chapel Hill are safe while the deer in my friend's neighborhood on the other side of town devour the same plants.

This is what I did. I had over a year to dig up perennials and bulbs from my large Atlant garden to bring to Chapel Hill. Everything was dormant when we moved and movers accused me of moving over a hundred pots of "dirt".

I had 5 cubic yards of good top soil dumped in the back yard of our brand new home and heeled in all my pots in the soil and put a huge bird netting over it all until I could get my gardens established. Of course everything was labeled.

We took about 4 years to get the gardens like we wanted them as far as shape, drainage, design and backbone plants in and the rest of the plants were perfectly happy under the bird netting as long as I allowed room for them to grow and bloom. We then had a nice 7 ft wood decorative portion of fence which showed from the street installed and 7 ft deer fencing on the other 3 sides. This has worked well for us.

Last year I lost more perennials than I had planned for due to hard winter but I feel my losses will be fewer this year.

I stopped messing with tulips about 30 years ago cause even the so-called Southern tulips just don't make it down here. I have wonderful luck with daffodils and of course, the deer don't like them either. You will have good luck with grasses and most "pokey" or sticky plants which deer don't like.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:24 AM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
You're moving to Raleigh? Make sure you plant some Hellebores. mine bloom all winter and are stunning.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 AM

My neighborhood deer herd eats my azaleas!!

Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Yes, my birdfeeder is in the front yard so the dogs don't eat the spilled birdseed. Doesn't agree with them very well. Apparently deer love it. A friend says they come lick it out of her feeder, too.
Let me guess, there's peanuts in it? Or corn? I used to feed birds here in the winter only because it was harder to find food. It took me years to get to the point where the $&%^* squirrels wouldn't get into it and empty the whole thing in one sitting. I finally prevailed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I like cannas and callas in my front yard because the deer don't bother them...at least they haven't in 7 years. You will soon learn which perennials are safe from deer but even those vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. Some plants in my neighborhood in Chapel Hill are safe while the deer in my friend's neighborhood on the other side of town devour the same plants.

This is what I did. I had over a year to dig up perennials and bulbs from my large Atlant garden to bring to Chapel Hill. Everything was dormant when we moved and movers accused me of moving over a hundred pots of "dirt".

I had 5 cubic yards of good top soil dumped in the back yard of our brand new home and heeled in all my pots in the soil and put a huge bird netting over it all until I could get my gardens established. Of course everything was labeled.

We took about 4 years to get the gardens like we wanted them as far as shape, drainage, design and backbone plants in and the rest of the plants were perfectly happy under the bird netting as long as I allowed room for them to grow and bloom. We then had a nice 7 ft wood decorative portion of fence which showed from the street installed and 7 ft deer fencing on the other 3 sides. This has worked well for us.

Last year I lost more perennials than I had planned for due to hard winter but I feel my losses will be fewer this year.

I stopped messing with tulips about 30 years ago cause even the so-called Southern tulips just don't make it down here. I have wonderful luck with daffodils and of course, the deer don't like them either. You will have good luck with grasses and most "pokey" or sticky plants which deer don't like.
Funny, I'd think the deer would love the leaves of Canna, considering how big they are.

I was hoping you'd come by, you are as nutty about gardening as I am. Your account of how you moved and prepped your garden is exactly what I want to do. But we will be renting initially, so I will take my most beloved or plants that need more attention in pots, and I'm going to ask a friend to care for the rest here until I can come back and get them. I can't bear to leave all my babies behind. It will definitely be fun to plan and prep an entirely new garden though.

Does your deer fencing have a top rail? Do your neighbors mind the look, or do you mind not having privacy in your backyard? We have a PVC fence now and considering we are on top of our neighbors, it's nice to not have to look at them when we're eating out or relaxing outdoors.

Last question... are you a member of a garden club? I was excited to find one that doesn't meet in the middle of a weekday, considering I'm decades from retirement. I'd love to meet other gardeners when we arrive, I think it would help me acclimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
You're moving to Raleigh? Make sure you plant some Hellebores. mine bloom all winter and are stunning.
I love Hellebores! I have a bunch now, but they don't start blooming here for a few weeks yet. I should probably pot those up and bring them because they've gotten huge over the years. That's awesome, another surprise I didn't even think of.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post
Let me guess, there's peanuts in it? Or corn? I used to feed birds here in the winter only because it was harder to find food. It took me years to get to the point where the $&%^* squirrels wouldn't get into it and empty the whole thing in one sitting. I finally prevailed.
Nope. Right now it's just all black oil sunflower seed in the shell. My deer friends seem to be indiscriminate in their dietary habits. They were just licking it out of the feeder the other day.

My squirrels are also hoodlums and have destroyed several feeders including some that are supposedly squirrel proof.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

Funny, I'd think the deer would love the leaves of Canna, considering how big they are.

I was hoping you'd come by, you are as nutty about gardening as I am. Your account of how you moved and prepped your garden is exactly what I want to do. But we will be renting initially, so I will take my most beloved or plants that need more attention in pots, and I'm going to ask a friend to care for the rest here until I can come back and get them. I can't bear to leave all my babies behind. It will definitely be fun to plan and prep an entirely new garden though.

Does your deer fencing have a top rail? Do your neighbors mind the look, or do you mind not having privacy in your backyard? We have a PVC fence now and considering we are on top of our neighbors, it's nice to not have to look at them when we're eating out or relaxing outdoors.

Last question... are you a member of a garden club? I was excited to find one that doesn't meet in the middle of a weekday, considering I'm decades from retirement. I'd love to meet other gardeners when we arrive, I think it would help me acclimate.

I'll find some pictures for you. I belong to the Carrboro Garden Club but I don't go anymore due to mobility issues. lately i do most of my gardening in my head, on paper to help folks like you and in containers on my deck. I've been lucky to have found some wonderful helpers for the last 3-4 years. Contain yourself...I know you will love Plant Delights Nursery | An Online Nursery that is the best place to buy new plants online for your garden which is close to Raleigh. A few times a year Tony Avent has open houses to allow customers to roam his beautiful gardens and make their own choices from the greenhouses. He also has a fun Facebook page. Sensory overload to say the least.
I'll find some pix for you now.

Last edited by no kudzu; 02-03-2016 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Tulips have to be replanted every year. It doesn't get cold enough for long enough for them. The freezer/fridge trick might work. A lot of trouble, though. Businesses like to use them for a beautiful spring display, but unfortunately they won't come back year after year.
I planted our tulips in 2008 and they are still going strong. Granted, they do not appear to be spreading, but we get blooms every year.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:43 AM

Glad to hear it toot. I've never had much luck with them. Daffodils and hyacinths do much better for me.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:53 AM

Only part of fence seen from the street. Only one side of our property has a neighbor. That is why we bought the lot. Woods in back and on other side and property line with neighbor has lots of mature trees and plants so lots of privacy.

Our back yard in the snow. No top rail-just a heavy top cable my husband calls a tension wire. I can't see the deer fence from the house anyway and it usually can't even be seen except when the snow accumulates on the heavy black netting. Lots of reputable deer fence people in the area. Ours in Chapel Hill enjoys a good reputation but not sure if he goes to Raleigh. When the time comes PM me for his name.

It was very important that the deer fence we got did not interfere with our beautiful woods. We did have a small incident with idiot juvenile deer tearing down a portion cause he was used to stopping by anytime for a snack. I had removed the white flag thinking they all knew it was verboten but apparently not. DH made me put the white flags back up in each section but they have been up long enough for me to try it again. Deer are creatures of habit so by now they should know to leave my back yard alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary