Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
On my scouting trip from LA we took the roundtrip redeye and it was the cheapest option at around $275
Man, that never happened to me! But, then again, the flights I wanted to select were not red-eyes. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
VSB

170 posts, read 798,179 times
Default Try SkyBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
I just randomly plugged in RDU - LAX for June 26th through 30th and got this:

Delta #1025 7:30 pm - 10:02 pm RDU - LAX

Delta #1131 10:25 pm - 6:14 am LAX - RDU
Same dates, only flight choices available via SkyBus (from Greensboro):

Depart:
Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, NC to
Los Angeles (Burbank, CA)
Thu, Jun. 26, 2008: Flight 525
Leaves - 6:15 AM
Arrives - 8:23 AM

Return:
Los Angeles (Burbank, CA) to
Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point, NC
Mon, Jun. 30, 2008: Flight 526
Leaves - 8:48 AM
Arrives - 4:25 PM

Prices
Passenger 1 $280.00
Taxes & Fees* $16.50

Total price of this trip: $296.5

Seems pretty affordable to me . . . and I'd much rather drive the first leg than fly a connection. Driving it is much less likely to end up delayed than ANY flight (not to mention bag connections, etc).

Eventually (5-10 years?) there will be more than one airline serving a direct RDU-LAX and other west coast routes. Since time=money, and saving time=less hassle and more family time, I'll always pay the $50 premium to fly non-stop when the option exists.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:29 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
I fly out to L.A. every month or so and used Delta quite frequently. Until the prices got out of hand for the direct flight. That was my first clue that things would change. Obviously, it has. However, I enjoyed the flight immensely not having to deal with a stop. But L.A. also became a non-convenient airport for me since my other home is in south Orange County. Now, I fly either into John Wayne or San Diego.

I flew JetBlue before just to see what it was like. We were delayed in NY. Great flight though. Love the cable and screens behind each headrest. Though I didn't like having to fly north to fly west. Long connection and flight.

Burbank is a nice airport and convenient to get in and out of. Though it can take a while getting through security there, too, when boarding. Long Beach was amazing and by far the smallest and easiest airport to fly into and out of. I'm liking John Wayne, but it can get crazy there. San Diego is very easy to fly out of especially if flying on Southwest. Security is a breeze, and fast.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
My mother lives in LA, and after I move to Raleigh, I'll probably fly to LAX through Memphis. My mileage is with Northwest, so they're my first choice. It's also a straight line, rather than going north or south out of your way. I like the MEM airport, and it's easier changing there than say, Detroit. Of course, if the Delta nonstop is available and cheap, how can I pass that up?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
My mother lives in LA, and after I move to Raleigh, I'll probably fly to LAX through Memphis. My mileage is with Northwest, so they're my first choice. It's also a straight line, rather than going north or south out of your way. I like the MEM airport, and it's easier changing there than say, Detroit. Of course, if the Delta nonstop is available and cheap, how can I pass that up?
Thx, Suncat, I'll check them out. I'm flying my mother in law on Northwest next week. I'll ask her how it was. Price was great, however.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 AM

33 posts, read 109,002 times
Default Skybus closed

Just wanted to mention that Skybus has filed for Chapter 11. As of right now there is NO DIRECT FLIGHT to Southern California from the Raleigh area.

I am so bummed, I have a 1 year old and stopping over is absolutely miserable with him. All our family and friends live in Orange County, I am hoping someone soon will be offering a non-stop flight, we go back every Christmas

Old 05-11-2008, 10:03 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
By Christmas, there may be no more airline industry.

If prices keep going up, most folks and businesses will forget about traveling.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:59 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,487 times
And American Airlines has just announced that in September they will discontinue the daily nonstop between RDU and Austin -- so it's back to changing in DFW, or Atlanta if you fly Delta.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:28 PM

87 posts, read 237,276 times
The non-stop service with American to DFW has increased in cost by 25% just in the last few weeks. Air Tran's tickets are significantly less and they have recently acquired 52 new 737's.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:40 PM

Even Southwest's rates have gone up significantly in the last few weeks, though they never offered non-stop to Los Angeles that I know of. Gas prices. It's hitting us all very hard in all places and fronts. Ugh. What a shame. Maybe when the international terminal is completed and our economy, gulp, improves, we may see a non-stop to Los Angeles again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary